Sujilicious

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Carter

Sujilicious

Post by Carter »

Pulling out a freshly sharpened suji to break down a rib roast for some ribeyes tonight.

RonAZ

Re: Sujilicious

Post by RonAZ »

Both knife and dinner look good...
slobound

Post by slobound »

Beautiful picture!
-- Garrick
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Drooling on both knives and steak.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

I'm on my way over and will pick up some good beer on the way, please keep mine rare. LOL.
Carter

Post by Carter »

All gone boys, they were pretty good, nothing special.....our local market had some good deals on small rib roasts, so I picked up a few. I grilled these. One thing new that I did and liked was salting the meat heavier than normal about 45 min out from cooking. In the past, I always waiting until cooking or after cooking to salt....thinking I would lose moisture or make the meat wet if salted too early and inhibit good searing/browning. I watched an episode of Good Eats, Alton Brown, recently on steaks and he promoted salting early to bring pull some of the protiens to the surface (if I remember correctly) to the surface, and that they would help in browning and forming a crust. These steaks stuck to the grill longer than usual and my son walked out to the grill and asked if I had put sugar on them..due to the sheen and caramelization. I did notice a difference in the taste and texture of the surface. I am sure this is old news to many, but I am happy to have found this out. FYI....tried the same process on some oven roasted/broiled halibut last week....same basic results.
Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK »

Beautiful knife!! Looks like it made some nice clean slices too!

Yes, salt is your friend. Especially on thicker cuts of meat. It’s a major flavor enhancer and helps tremendously with creating a nice crust. When I figured out how to layer and rub in fine and coarse salts onto briskets before smoking... life altering flavor and moisture ;)
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

Knives are looking great, as always. I always season steaks generously with salt and leave them on a cooling rack over a tray in the fridge for at least an hour before cooking (unless I'm doing sous vide, which is a different ballgame). It initially draws moisture to the surface, but after the initial "sweat," the salt and some of the attending moisture begin to penetrate into the meat, where the magical ionic activity of the salt helps bind moisture and keep it inside your protein rather than being lost during cooking.

For fish, a quick dry brine using salt and sugar serves the additional function of binding albumin protein and keeping the dreaded white sludge from oozing out of your fish as it cooks. It also draws out excess moisture and makes the fish tastier.

I love salt.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks for the comments on the knives...this is a rare knife that I have made and use that has a custom handle....most of the knives I use are like the one at the top of the board, a 75% finished nakiri with a beater handle that I removed from a customer knife.

I appreciate the feedback and additional info on salting, etc. I do brine poultry and pork regularly, sometimes seafood. I will continue to experiment with heavier pre-cook salting....liking the results.