Gumbo weather here

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Mike9

Gumbo weather here

Post by Mike9 »

Damp, wet, chilly - ugh!!! But - it's perfect for Gumbo. I made a well developed shrimp stock last week with kumbo and hon dashi to round it out. So - Shrimp Gumbo it is. Andouille, some smoked kielbasi, and of course okra. I served over barley cooked in shrimp stock - total win/win combo.

J david

Re: Gumbo weather here

Post by J david »

Nothing better in cold weather. Not quite ready for that in my neck of the woods. Still mid 80's here. Reminds me of dinner at my Cajun great grandmother's house when I was a child in Biloxi. Filé?
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Looks awesome 👏
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

I don't as a rule File with okra as it gets plenty thick from that. No okra then definitely File.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Yum - love gumbo. Learned about it from my great Aunt in Shreveport - I remember going don to her place when she was making jambalaya - huge pot on the porch on a hot day. Louisiana food is great no matter what the weather is. Might have to make some gumbo this weekend
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

Mike9 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:28 pm Damp, wet, chilly - ugh!!! But - it's perfect for Gumbo. I made a well developed shrimp stock last week with kumbo and hon dashi to round it out. So - Shrimp Gumbo it is. Andouille, some smoked kielbasi, and of course okra. I served over barley cooked in shrimp stock - total win/win combo.

Very nice, I love the idea of using barley. I’m making an effort to branch out into using more whole grains. Wish I had the skill to make a gumbo like that!
old onion

Post by old onion »

I had great gumbo at a Mountain Man Rendezvous one year when we all gathered from all over the Eastern States and I loved it but the Gumbo I tried to make didn't work out to good.For one thing,I can't seem to like the Andouille sausage and it isn't real gumbo without it but your dish looks so good,I am ready to try my luck again.
timos

Post by timos »

woke up to 28 deg. this morning...wish i was eating this for lunch , mmmmmm
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Love me some Gumbo, looks great!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.