Venison sausage

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
cwillett

Re: Venison sausage

Post by cwillett »

Drewski wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:38 am What's everyone use for a skinning knife for deer sized game? Looking for something to use in the field, not at home in the garage. I've been thinking about a Havalon with changeable blades, but haven't heard much about them. I got my brother a a Buck 113 and he loves it. Just don't want the same exact knife as him haha.
I primarily used a little Knives of Alaska Cub Bear knife. It has nice D2 steel that I got ultra sharp before heading out. I used it for field cleaning the mule deer and for most of the skinning as well, although there are probably better tools for that part of the job. I also used a TOPS Tex Creek that I had a local smith radically thin for me. Now it performs well and I used it for about 20% of the process. I also used the Cub Bear at home for de-boning the meat. The edge retention on the Cub Bear was excellent. A basic saw (unknown brand, but cheap from SportCo) was used as well for the pelvis, sternum, and head.
Mike9

Re: Venison sausage

Post by Mike9 »

A friend dropped off a front leg from a buck he shot last week. It's going to warm tomorrow so I cut it up today. Not too shabby - left to right - grind, "flat iron" for tacos + stew meat, shank and bones for stock. About 3lbs of trim and 6.5lbs of meat + 2lbs of bones - I can't complain. (the fat cap on the shoulder was 3/4" - 1" thick - might be a cold winter.

A couple of other friends donated to my HEART project - two very nice specimens weighing 38oz. I have about 8, or 9 now just about enough for a batch of chili.