go to recipes for the whole fam (young children)

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
timos

go to recipes for the whole fam (young children)

Post by timos »

What are everyone's favorite go to recipes when you need to accommodate young kids as well as the adults?

It seems the convenience of boxed and branded quick meals has really taken over lately and i need to wrest back a little control, just for healthy reasons and variety if nothing else.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
snipes

Re: go to recipes for the whole fam (young children)

Post by snipes »

Chicken tacos is a staple in our house.
Some type of pasta with different sauces (meat, garlic butter parmesan, velveeta (ultimate mac and cheese) ).
Surprisingly pasta primavera goes over very well even with all those roasted veggies and the kids love to help make it.

If only cooking for one of the two kids the playbook gets much bigger, the challenge is finding items that they both will eat.

It's always a win when I can make one meal for everyone involved.

Edit: Adding homemade chicken noodle soup sometimes with grilled cheese. Kids go crazy for it.
Last edited by snipes on Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Swedish meatballs with brown gravy over egg noodles served with veggies and sourdough bread
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Pork loin chops or Chicken(grilled or fried) with choice of potato and a veggie. Very simple and wholesome.
Fried fish, mac n cheese, coleslaw.
Beef stew or vegetable soup are both favorites around here too.

Can you see the KY country boy cooking here... 8-)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

My 6 yr old is the fussy one.

Mac and cheese.. simple
Pizza, they can be customized
Breakfast for dinner- pancakes, waffles, egg sandwiches.
This tomato soup has been a winner lately make a bunch and freeze it.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... ecipe.html
This chicken and faro soup. http://www.bloggingmizdaisy.com/2016/10 ... t.html?m=1
My son and I love these general Tso meatballs. Sub the beef for freshly ground dark meat chicken. You don’t need much oil to cook these. https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-i ... ls-recipe/
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

My youngest daughter started with farfelli pasta, asparagus, mushrooms and marscapone.

Sauté half a medium onion in olive oil, add a few cloves of crushed garlic and cook until perfume comes out, add some asparagus cut into 2" pieces, then some crimini or maitaki mushrooms and a generous pinch of salt, cook till tender and add al dente pasta (no water yet) and a tub of marscapone. Add pasta water till creamy, salt and pepper to taste, and serve with good bread

She was 7 when she made it for the first time - the whole next gen makes it as a "show" dish. Great vegetarian dish that seems to be loved by all. I like anchovies in it, but they are kids. Learned to make it in Sicily in the 80's. Still a summer staple (add Calimari or sardines if you like - how I was introduced to it).
snipes

Post by snipes »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:09 pm Pork loin chops or Chicken(grilled or fried) with choice of potato and a veggie. Very simple and wholesome.
Fried fish, mac n cheese, coleslaw.
Beef stew or vegetable soup are both favorites around here too.

Can you see the KY country boy cooking here... 8-)
Both used to be staples in our house, but pork loin is roundly poo pooed now, and my daughter is squarely off chicken no matter how I cook it. The boy LOVES grilled chicken thighs and chicken wings though.
Carter

Post by Carter »

I've thought about this one today, actually for a while during my time in the shop doing some boring sanding and other brainless chores. I found myself going from, sure here are some easy ideas, to WTF, I am the parent, eat what I serve....so some thoughts......, skip down two paragraphs for what we ate with kids.

For most of us that are in the baby boomer category, the answer is simple, you eat what is served or you go hungry...most kids really didn't get much of a vote on daily dinner. I was lucky in that my mother was a good cook and was inspired by Julia Child in the early 60's...we ate well...didn't really like liver (loved tongue and snails) or peas, but I survived....I also was exposed to a wide range of food and am thankful today. I learned to cook and appreciate good food from my mom, again..THANKS MOM!!

When I became a parent in the early 90's, I was cooking seriously and I somewhat expected my kids to eat what we ate, but times were different than when I grew up....the boys usually had dinner before we did when they were real young, so they got an abbreviated version of our dinner or the frozen nuggets that they craved or Beefaroni, etc.....kind of path of least resistance for them and us. As they reached 4-5 yrs old I took a firmer stance and we all ate grown up food together, they got some input and were asked to help on occasion. Overall, it worked out well and I think giving them a limited amount of options, and decision making within said options gave them some ownership....it did improve the quality and breadth of their food experience, but didn't work 100%, but that was ok. Fast forward, both boys live on their own and are interested in cooking and are open to trying new ingredients and techniques. I would hesitate to say that they have the depth of food experience of those of us that did not grow up on processed freezer microwaveable instant dinner in a box or 15 minute pizza delivery, but with a little nudging and guidance, I think the kids of today can be guided to appreciate home cooking and good food.

Items that were staples and favorites for us:

Roast chicken...usually some form once a week.
Fish/shellfish (we lived in Miami, so we had real fish) grilled, pan fried, steamed, again weekly.
Beef/lamb/veal - weekly, could be a small whole steak, or something like a flank steak sliced or veal cutlets (also did a lot of cutlets with turkey, chicken, pork).
Weekends - some ribs or a Boston butt, usually on grill/smoker, but also in oven for ease.
Pasta with sausages or chicken, or veggies
Tacos/fajitas
Again more on weekends - a Low Country boil with sausage, shrimp, corn, potatoes all in one pot, a fun causal dinner.
Chili - beef or turkey
We did the requisite amount of burgers and dogs, brats, etc on the grill.

We also pushed the kids in other directions when we went out, mainly ethnic or fine dining restaurants. I think learning to eat different foods is as important as learning how to eat in a more formal setting and learning proper dining etiquette...again something many of an older generation took for granted that is lost on the kids of today.

Unfortunately, life may be a little harder and faster today, and there is an ample amount of easy food available for purchase. I think it is best to find a balance that works for mom & dad, and the kids. Domino's is great some nights, but on less hectic evenings, a little culinary push is needed, even if it gets some gross or ooey remarks.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Carter wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:24 pm I've thought about this one today, actually for a while during my time in the shop doing some boring sanding and other brainless chores. I found myself going from, sure here are some easy ideas, to WTF, I am the parent, eat what I serve....so some thoughts......, skip down two paragraphs for what we ate with kids.

For most of us that are in the baby boomer category, the answer is simple, you eat what is served or you go hungry...most kids really didn't get much of a vote on daily dinner. I was lucky in that my mother was a good cook and was inspired by Julia Child in the early 60's...we ate well...didn't really like liver (loved tongue and snails) or peas, but I survived....I also was exposed to a wide range of food and am thankful today. I learned to cook and appreciate good food from my mom, again..THANKS MOM!!

When I became a parent in the early 90's, I was cooking seriously and I somewhat expected my kids to eat what we ate, but times were different than when I grew up....the boys usually had dinner before we did when they were real young, so they got an abbreviated version of our dinner or the frozen nuggets that they craved or Beefaroni, etc.....kind of path of least resistance for them and us. As they reached 4-5 yrs old I took a firmer stance and we all ate grown up food together, they got some input and were asked to help on occasion. Overall, it worked out well and I think giving them a limited amount of options, and decision making within said options gave them some ownership....it did improve the quality and breadth of their food experience, but didn't work 100%, but that was ok. Fast forward, both boys live on their own and are interested in cooking and are open to trying new ingredients and techniques. I would hesitate to say that they have the depth of food experience of those of us that did not grow up on processed freezer microwaveable instant dinner in a box or 15 minute pizza delivery, but with a little nudging and guidance, I think the kids of today can be guided to appreciate home cooking and good food.

Items that were staples and favorites for us:

Roast chicken...usually some form once a week.
Fish/shellfish (we lived in Miami, so we had real fish) grilled, pan fried, steamed, again weekly.
Beef/lamb/veal - weekly, could be a small whole steak, or something like a flank steak sliced or veal cutlets (also did a lot of cutlets with turkey, chicken, pork).
Weekends - some ribs or a Boston butt, usually on grill/smoker, but also in oven for ease.
Pasta with sausages or chicken, or veggies
Tacos/fajitas
Again more on weekends - a Low Country boil with sausage, shrimp, corn, potatoes all in one pot, a fun causal dinner.
Chili - beef or turkey
We did the requisite amount of burgers and dogs, brats, etc on the grill.

We also pushed the kids in other directions when we went out, mainly ethnic or fine dining restaurants. I think learning to eat different foods is as important as learning how to eat in a more formal setting and learning proper dining etiquette...again something many of an older generation took for granted that is lost on the kids of today.

Unfortunately, life may be a little harder and faster today, and there is an ample amount of easy food available for purchase. I think it is best to find a balance that works for mom & dad, and the kids. Domino's is great some nights, but on less hectic evenings, a little culinary push is needed, even if it gets some gross or ooey remarks.
Great post. Good thoughts and suggestions.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Great post Carter!

I tended, when raising my kids in the 80’s, to avoid anything from boxes. So they grew up working with real ingredients. Not to say they loved them all. What was interesting was the wild difference in what I think may be genetically determined taste buds! My son loved anything acidic and would eat pickles before the hamburger. My daughter detested anything sharp or bitter or acidic...to this day,in her late 30s, she does not tolerate carbonated beverages. We called her the “white food kid” because of her preference for chicken, bread, whatever. Thankfully she liked the best versions of white food.

I remember a study from decades back where scientists looked at how taste differs among different people. In an auditorium participants were given bits of flavor infused paper to put on their tongues. Some people perceived regular taste levels, while a few found the tastes extreme. They were dubbed the “super tasters.” In our family we called my daughter the super taster.

The most fun meals we had when the kids were very young happened in France, where we spent spring vacations. I did like the time in a restaurant in the countryside when my daughter was 12 and the waitresss asked me if she should pour her some wine... Another topic.

But we had one meal every spring at a school for restaurant students. The lighting was clinical, and professors stood by with clipboards as they graded the students, who took on roles of cook, server, sommelier, cheese expert, and so on. The meals were great, the prices cheap, and we were the only Americans among a group of diners who were parents or locals. The teachers took particular interest in how the hotel-restaurant students dealt with our table! Poor students. The only time we saw a student shake was when they had to debone a fish with a million bones at our table... the kids loved it.

Best part was the day when, driving across the countryside, my then 6 year old son piped up from the back seat...Mom, do you know why I like the French? Me...why? Him...Because they respect their food. The kid ate everything.

So much for kids and food memories.... here is the one recipe that has now lasted three generations. Said in a sing-song chant, it is bacon noodles peas and cheese. The grandkids now ask for it, though it has evolved.

Cook tubular pasta. Put some major dollops of ricotta and a few TBSP butter in a large serving bowl. Cook up some cubed bacon. This has evolved from an original recipe calling for 1/4 lb to 3/4 lb. Blame the bacon loving kids. Scoop up bacon, leave a little fat (we seem to leave more fat all the time) and heat up a bunch of peas in the fat. Dump the pasta in the bowl and toss. Add bacon and peas. Grate Parmesan. Add salt and tons of pepper. Add a tad more butter if desired.

Had to add this. I swear on alternate nights they had more vegetables...
Last edited by LaVieestBelle on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

I make for my grand children the same dish my grandma made for us. Macaroni, bacon and tomatoes. Couldn't be more simple, but it's delicious and comforting.
timos

Post by timos »

Wow, so many excellent responses and anecdotes. Thanks everyone, for sharing. I think Ive got some ideas now to break out of this funk. I am going to try all of the pasta dishes mentioned. Its funny, my first daughter as well as my second both started off eating just about anything. My oldest would love to mix spices with me and she wanted to taste every one. As time went on and especially once kindergarten started she has really narrowed down to just a couple staples and boy, it seems to be all about the shiny packages now and less about the food at all.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

Kids are an interesting thing and I've had the joy of raising (or trying my best) to raise two daughters. I've learned a few things and can't speak to all kids but here is a few things I've learned. One, they are very attuned to what others are eating- they watch and take cues from others. I've learned that they generally don't like what myself and my wife don't like, I can only attribute this to them watching us. I introduced them both to Vietnamese/Pho as babies and they both love it 10+ years later. My oldest at 13, will choose a Vietnamese restaurant over anything else given a choice. Second, they are unpredictable. I've taken them for high end mac & cheese with fresh pasta, artisan cheeses, and lobster but both prefer Kraft from the box with hotdogs. Third, one can never go wrong with pasta, garlic, and olive oil. Lastly, this will all change as they hit their teens. I'm ready for it.
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

I cook for my wife and I, a 6 and a 3 year old, and a 17 year old. The 17 year old will eat anything other than lamb. Some go to meals that can be made on a weekday that everyone will eat without a fight:

Roast chicken (whole, easy pan sauce), quinoa (or rice) pilaf, steamed broccoli with butter
Broiled tofu (marinate in a soy thing), raw carrot salad, spinach in oyster sauce, soba noodles
Pasta with pesto, butter braised beets, garlic shrimp
Roasted and sliced pork tenderloin (oil, 5 spice, salt, etc) on top of green salad
Roasted winter squash (butter, salt, brown sugar), corn bread, raw kale salad

The general rule is that the kids have to eat a substantial amount of at least two things. So dinners usually have at least three things on the plate. Sometimes the kids surprise me and devour something that I wasn't expecting them to, like seared salmon or rockfish with buerre aux citron.
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

I'm busy with my wife raising a 3 year old girl. Like many of us here, our house has a healthy respect for cooking and good food. It rubs off, and our daughter enjoys eating what we eat ... most of the time. In terms of foolproof meals the family will enjoy:
1) Ravioli or other stuffed pasta. Make your own ricotta. Freeze extras.
2) Pinto beans. My daughter loves popping them one by one into her mouth by hand. Serve with homemade flour tortillas and calabacitas (sauteed/braised Mexican squash) and corn on the cob.
3) Shrimp scampi with good bread for dipping.
4) Teriyaki chicken bowls.

The list goes on, but these are meals that can either be made in advance (ravioli, beans, tortillas), or can be whipped up super fast (calabacitas, shrimp scampi). Also, the textures are soft and all the meals are easy to eat off the plate. My daughter still doesn't like to work too hard at dinner.

Hope that helps!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

My kids had a varied palate even when young, but quesadillas were a staple. I'd use just enough cheese to make the tortillas stick together and vary the fillings. Potatoes, finely minced onions and chorizo. Mushrooms and finely diced onions and peppers. Chicken sausage and thinly sliced apple. pan-toasted corn, finely minced red bell peppers, beans and garlic.

Whatever your kids like. And you can customize for each kid and the adults
Jeffry B
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Empty nester here but I do have a 2yr old granddaughter that stays with us a lot. Fortunately for us she will eat anything we eat. I keep waiting for her to get more picky but so far so good. Amazing how much roast, carrots, and green beans she can devour!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

Tonight the kids destroyed chicken with marsala cream, spaghetti with pesto, and red cabbage-carrot salad. Well, the last one not so much but they both ate their portions and had seconds on the noodles.
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

Our grands live next door and some days they come over after school and "make things" to eat. 6 and 9 and they each have a knife (real one) and a cutting mat. They process apples, cucumbers, strawberries, etc. And everyone but their mom eats venison.
Vouston

Post by Vouston »

Awesome post Timos and feedback everyone with creative recipes for fam and young kids, looking forward to giving those recipes a try!!!!!!! Don't have any kids myself but have two nephews, 3 & 5, that I have to routinely cook for 1+ time a week and they can be hit or miss just like others experiences. Summer time is usually easier with any/all fresh vegetables out of the garden and seared on the grill combined with get the cast iron out and fry up fresh caught fish (blue gills, perch, etc). Home made boneless wings and roasted veggies can go pretty good. They depending on their moods love or go bleh to steaks or venison. Our mid westerner take on pasta dish you guys have mentioned, tube penne/macroni type pasta with peas, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, chives, crab meat, bacon, parmesan with ranch dressing and balsamic vinegar all tossed in a large bowl served cold. That goes over without much resistance.
Also agree on the the mac and cheese conundrum - have made scratch super fancy bacon shrimp/lobster with multiple cheeses but they were like bleh and then make kraft mac n cheese or Aldi truffle mac and cheese out of the box with some koegels viennas or plain butcher shop brats and they go absolutely bonkers.