Looking for new safety razor

Post your shave related topics here.
snipes

Looking for new safety razor

Post by snipes »

Well my almost two year old Parker 11R razor broke on me this week. The threads where the head screws on to the body stripped. Not real happy for a $70 razor. My basic Parker I use for travel is still holding up like a champ.
I'm looking for replacement ideas, price ranks towards the bottom of concerns. Preferably a longer full length handle and not overly aggressive on the face. I use Feather DE blades.
Thoughts, ideas???

Thanks
snipes

Re: Looking for new safety razor

Post by snipes »

I ended up purchasing a pair of reconditioned vintage DEs.
A '67 Gillette Slim adjustable and a British Gillette Rocket HD. Looking forward to trying them out.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Nice, come back and tell us how you like them.

I've had threads strip too: on the safety razor I inherited from my grandfather.

Feather blades are very aggressive and best used with a mild razor. I use my Merker 47C and it is just right and for travel I use the Feather Double-Edge Razor with Feather blades which is an even milder razor.

The aggressive razor is my Muhle 41 used with almost all other blades which makes for a very aggressive shave. I cannot combine the Muhle with Feather blades - it is too aggressive a combination: weepers every time.

Hope the vintage razors are a good combo for you...happy shaving.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I hope you like it! I use a Merkur extra long. I don't recall the model number but I have had it for about 10 years.
dantee

Post by dantee »

From all the DE shaving reviews and recommendations I have been reading, the top of the line recommendation at the moment seems to be the Timeless.
The Timeless .68 SB/Scalloped or Timeless Bronze.
Good value for money, the Rockwell 6S always comes up.

And then just a normal 'ol Muhle R89 head and handle..... or the Charcoal Goods / West Cost Shaving stuff.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

I just got the Vikings blade Chieftan and love it. Their Godfather also gets great reviews, but I wanted a butterfly. Great weight and balance and looks fantastic.
deskjockey

Post by deskjockey »

Muhle R41 and R89 with the Edwin Jagger DE89 following close behind.

The Muhle long handles work very well for me.

A real sleeper is the Fatip Picolo from Italy. This small little DE razor travels well and shaves great.
Naples09

Post by Naples09 »

I purchased a vintage DE
snipes

Post by snipes »

Naples, thanks for bumping this thread. What did you get?

Well I've had ample time with my two new reconditioned DEs. I really enjoy both, the sturdiness even after 40+ years really speaks to the quality of manufacturing vs. the pot metal stuff being put out today in many cases. Gladius, I agree with you regarding the Feather blades and having to match it to the razor. I still use them in my travel razor, but switched to Gillette Silvers for the two vintage Gillettes. I haven't had a single knick or bad razor burn since the change, very smooth and close shave.

I still can't choose which of the two razors ('67 Gillette Slim adjustable and a British Gillette Rocket HD) that I prefer. The Rocket gives a great shave, but every time I think of declaring him the winner, that adjustability factor on the slim keeps pulling me back in and frankly it sees more use. Typically though I swap razors after every blade change or two. My standard is two shaves before switching blades. Before the blade change I had even recently gone down the pre shave lotion path in an attempt tame the problem area under my chin. Since the blade change, no need for it. I use Castle Forbes shaving cream and after shave, both lime scented. Paired with my Dirty Bird bowl and cheap plastic handled badger (better/best??) brush I'm a content shaver at the moment.
Hari Itami

Post by Hari Itami »

I wouldn’t worry too much about which DE safety razor to choose. It’s a nice situation to be in. In my situation, I use whichever one is not being used as my travel razor. Both are Merkurs, but different models with similar heads and different length handles. Shaving101.com was a good resource for me.
- Hari

Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I'm using a Gillete something or other DE razor from the 50's that my dad used for years and gave to me 30 years ago. Feather blades and all is good. The old Gillette stuff is built really well and has never failed me
old onion

Post by old onion »

Vintage Gillette from the 50's
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

I have a '62 Gillette slim adjustable and it works great.
snipes

Post by snipes »

effersfralk wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:16 pm Every time I log in, I keep waiting to see a new safety topic appear. It hasnt, so Im asking everyone to put in their thoughts for a NEW TOPIC. Id like to keep this subject ALIVE and ACTIVE, hoping that comments here will make a new or experienced airboat operator THINK SAFETY.
I'm sorry, I have to chuckle reading about your long suffering run of six whole days since registration, logging in and this post. :) Look forward to seeing your new fresh topic on the subject. I'd also like to see more activity in the shaving section.
@ftermath

Post by @ftermath »

dantee wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:13 am From all the DE shaving reviews and recommendations I have been reading, the top of the line recommendation at the moment seems to be the Timeless.
The Timeless .68 SB/Scalloped or Timeless Bronze.
Good value for money, the Rockwell 6S always comes up.

And then just a normal 'ol Muhle R89 head and handle..... or the Charcoal Goods / West Cost Shaving stuff.
Second the Timeless recommendation. I highly recommend the titanium version because of weight. I ordered the base and top plate from Timeless’ seconds/returns section and a custom titanium handle from eBay. Couldn’t be happier. Prefer feather blades with a .68 SB.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

I just noticed this thread.... Regarding the Feather Blades and matching them to a milder razor I've taken a different approach.

Most of my face can handle a very aggressive combination so I use Feathers and a vintage Fatboy set to 7.

Under my adams apple back to my jaw is more sensitive so I use a second, milder razor there. Currently a Black Beauty set to 1 with Atras.

If you've got the real estate in your bathroom for more than one razor... why not use more than one to match the task? (Said the guy with dozens of kitchen knives...}

If I've gone 3 or more days (which is happening much more often now during lockdown) I have an open comb from Maggard's Razors with Atras.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Try the Gillette Platinum in the black box. I am getting 10 shaves out of each blade (5 per side) in my Merkur 37C slant and with little to no irritation.
gladius

Post by gladius »

taz575 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:25 am Try the Gillette Platinum in the black box. I am getting 10 shaves out of each blade (5 per side) in my Merkur 37C slant and with little to no irritation.
---
...as are the 7 O'clock SharpEdge Superior Premium Platinum - also made in Russia
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Yeah, those are the ones I am talking about. Awesome blades! I had 2 blades last me almost a full month!
gladius

Post by gladius »

taz575 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:24 pm Yeah, those are the ones I am talking about. Awesome blades! I had 2 blades last me almost a full month!
---
That is about what I am getting and using the same Merkur Slant.