How long would a 5/8 quarter ground straight go before the grind needs "thinning"?

Post your shave related topics here.
dantee

How long would a 5/8 quarter ground straight go before the grind needs "thinning"?

Post by dantee »

So I saw the recent sale on classic shaving for hart steel straights razors and made the plunge into the world of straights from my current de setup.

Got me a 5/8 quarter hollow grind with round tip.

(Also interesting that ever since this forum moved over the shaving threads have all died. :(
Where are the shaving soaps discussions and shave of the days and cool straight razors on display? :mrgreen:)

So once I get the new straight I'm gonna have a go. Hope I don't cut myself! Haha

And just a question.
I actually for this reason wonder why I didn't get a 6/8 instead but had thought that with the quarter ground and heft of the harts, a 5/8 would be more maneuverable and nimble. Though I on hindsight prefer the aesthetic of the 6/8. Oh well.

But as far as straight razors go, u wonder how long the edge takes to wear out.
For a quarter ground 5/8, after a while of honing etc, would the edge get tad thicker down to the point where it has to be sent for professional grinding down to get the grind at the edge closer to the original kind of grind?
Cutuu

Re: How long would a 5/8 quarter ground straight go before the grind needs "thinning"?

Post by Cutuu »

Good question. Im new to srs, so i wont comment. Curious to hear some replies. Also+1 on getting the shaving section active. We need more posts, perhaps, even just some silly ones would be better than none.
RickR

Re: How long would a 5/8 quarter ground straight go before the grind needs "thinning"?

Post by RickR »

Unless you damage the edge, fifty or sixty years, given that you shouldn't have to take the blade to a stone more often than two or three times a year.