150mm honyaki petty

http://willisonknives.imgur.com

Moderator: Willison_Knives

Post Reply
Willison_Knives
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 pm
Location: St.Catharines On, CANADA
Contact:

150mm honyaki petty

Post by Willison_Knives » Fri May 26, 2017 8:45 am

I have been trying to get this in the works for a little bit. Finally got it finalized, heres a mock up of a 150mm honyaki petty in w2 steel
Still needs a final edge and a saya, got three knives in the works lol.
Semi mirror polish to show more hamon and aid in food release(my pass around knife might be to mirrored) with a convex grind
Less taper on the spine to give it less flex but more taper down to the edge.
Left some hammer marks because i didn't want it to thin and Im a fan of the contrast.
Purple heart, black polymer and birds eye maple burl handle
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives

slobound
Posts: 527
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: 150mm honyaki petty

Post by slobound » Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 am

Looks great, Dakota!
-- Garrick

Willison_Knives
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 pm
Location: St.Catharines On, CANADA
Contact:

Re: 150mm honyaki petty

Post by Willison_Knives » Fri May 26, 2017 9:22 am

slobound wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:57 am
Looks great, Dakota!
thanks Garrick!
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives

Klotf
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:22 pm

Re: 150mm honyaki petty

Post by Klotf » Fri May 26, 2017 12:53 pm

Willison_Knives wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:45 am
I have been trying to get this in the works for a little bit. Finally got it finalized, heres a mock up of a 150mm honyaki petty in w2 steel
Still needs a final edge and a saya, got three knives in the works lol.
Semi mirror polish to show more hamon and aid in food release(my pass around knife might be to mirrored) with a convex grind
Less taper on the spine to give it less flex but more taper down to the edge.
Left some hammer marks because i didn't want it to thin and Im a fan of the contrast.
Purple heart, black polymer and birds eye maple burl handle
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
This frankly looks awesome.

How did you get the hamon to pop out like that?

Willison_Knives
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 pm
Location: St.Catharines On, CANADA
Contact:

Re: 150mm honyaki petty

Post by Willison_Knives » Fri May 26, 2017 2:06 pm


This frankly looks awesome.

How did you get the hamon to pop out like that?
Thank you!

it has to do with the steel and a mix of how I polish. I used to run through the grits till 2-3k
What i did this time around was skip certain grits to get a mixed almost dull mirror polish.
Etched out and then cleaned up with mothers mag and aluminum polish
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives

Klotf
Posts: 220
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:22 pm

Re: 150mm honyaki petty

Post by Klotf » Fri May 26, 2017 5:46 pm

Willison_Knives wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 2:06 pm

This frankly looks awesome.

How did you get the hamon to pop out like that?
Thank you!

it has to do with the steel and a mix of how I polish. I used to run through the grits till 2-3k
What i did this time around was skip certain grits to get a mixed almost dull mirror polish.
Etched out and then cleaned up with mothers mag and aluminum polish
Cool, thanks for the explanation. I thought it might be some jnat magic or voodoo or something!

Willison_Knives
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 pm
Location: St.Catharines On, CANADA
Contact:

Re: 150mm honyaki petty

Post by Willison_Knives » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:47 pm

I went back and changed the handle. Its now a d shape and much more fitting to the blade. Finished Dyed poplar saya. Friction fit so no pin is needed to be lost lol
ImageImageImageImage

Magic hour 6:30am is perfect for pictures
Image
Image
ImageImage
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests