Prototype Gyuto. 200mm

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Willison_Knives

Prototype Gyuto. 200mm

Post by Willison_Knives »

Just a little preview. 1084 steel, Kurouchi finish. Bog oak and regular oak handle.
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Kalaeb

Re: Prototype Gyuto. 200mm

Post by Kalaeb »

Looking really good.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Interesting handle design also.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The tease looks promising Dakota! :ugeek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Willison_Knives

Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Willison_Knives

I'm working on the grind for this prototype. It is still a bit thick, but im going for a work horse, not a laser.
Let me know what you think!
Bog oak and oak handle. 1084 steel with kurouchi finish. Dyed poplar saya. This will be a made to order item and will be coming with various handle options.
This handle is a coffin style. Slight palm swell for pinch grip but not enough to bother in handle grip. Mostly rounded, except a bit of the ferrule.
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

I really like how this looks, nice work! :thumbsup:

Looks like it's forged geometry except for the convexed grind at the lower edge? I think the handle looks really great too, nice shape and I'm a fan of bog oak. Any particular inspiration for the profile? It's taller than your passaround knife was, kinda a bit like a Watanabe profile?
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Love the handle. That last post was the most detailed view, I like the way you did the oak spacer.
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

this one looks very nice. the grind looks asymmetric to me from the choil shot, is that so?
Willison_Knives

milkbaby wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:19 am I really like how this looks, nice work! :thumbsup:

Looks like it's forged geometry except for the convexed grind at the lower edge? I think the handle looks really great too, nice shape and I'm a fan of bog oak. Any particular inspiration for the profile? It's taller than your passaround knife was, kinda a bit like a Watanabe profile?
Thanks, the geometry is mostly forged out and thats why the grind is slightly asymmetrical. I left it because I wanted do do as little grinding as i had to. Just tried to get rid of major hammer marks, but some still showed through. I dont have a flattening hammer yet. I don't really have inspiration lol, just kind of went with a taller tip. I probably should look more at production knives to. I took the knife through some rounds today, have to regrind a but and thin out.
Bensbites wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:25 am Love the handle. That last post was the most detailed view, I like the way you did the oak spacer.
Thanks! I was going for something old with something new. I love how this handle feels in the hand. Thought with the finish it might feel to plastic but it doesn't bother me.
Igalor wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:28 am this one looks very nice. the grind looks asymmetric to me from the choil shot, is that so?
Thanks, the grind did end up slightly asymmetrical as it is mostly forged in and i did as little grinding as i had to. Going to be thinning it out sometime soon.
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

I'm a big fan of asymmetric grind, though I might feel different if I were a lefty instead of a righty.

You might be interested in the forged geometry knives that Will Catchside is doing. Worth a google and checking him out. He has also been very forthcoming about his methods and willing to share ideas, a good guy.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Love the rustic look and the taller profile Dakota! It does look like it would benefit a lot with more thinning behind the edge. I'm a big fan of knives that are a little thick at the spine(3+mm) but get real thin behind the edge. Generally gives a confident feel with excellent performance.

Looking good, keep up the great work!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Willison_Knives

Jeff B wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:46 pm Love the rustic look and the taller profile Dakota! It does look like it would benefit a lot with more thinning behind the edge. I'm a big fan of knives that are a little thick at the spine(3+mm) but get real thin behind the edge. Generally gives a confident feel with excellent performance.

Looking good, keep up the great work!
Thanks! Sorry for delayed response. Honestly thought I already said thanks lol. But I did some thinning today actually. Trying to see if I can auction this knife off on ig. I have learned that a nice thick spine to add weight really helps with performance.
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Willison_Knives

milkbaby wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:17 pm I'm a big fan of asymmetric grind, though I might feel different if I were a lefty instead of a righty.

You might be interested in the forged geometry knives that Will Catchside is doing. Worth a google and checking him out. He has also been very forthcoming about his methods and willing to share ideas, a good guy.
I went back today (finally) and thinned out the edge some more. Works better:) not a laser but I think it should make a great work horse. I did a but if Google in but didn't find to much on his methods (I'll Google again)
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Looks great. Reminds me of the Kawabata knives and a little of the Takeda look. Man if you could match the style of grinds on the Takeda you'd be making some waves I bet. Either way looks awesome. Passaround?
Willison_Knives

Chefspence wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 pm Looks great. Reminds me of the Kawabata knives and a little of the Takeda look. Man if you could match the style of grinds on the Takeda you'd be making some waves I bet. Either way looks awesome. Passaround?

Next time I made one
This one got sold off
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives