Finished! 270mm gyuto

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Willison_Knives

Finished! 270mm gyuto

Post by Willison_Knives »

Finished the 270mm gyuto

Let me know what you pros think!
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Bensbites

Re: Finished! 270mm gyuto

Post by Bensbites »

Wow.
Willison_Knives

Bensbites wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:32 amWow.
haha thanks!
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

Really nice and clean work! I really like the profile and handle.

Did you use clay and an edge quench? What grit finish on the blade?

What thickness do you grind to at the edge before sharpening? I personally prefer a knife ground to zero or essentially to zero before sharpening. My personal preference is for a bit of laser feel on push cut or locomotive style push. But I am a home user and don't worry much about lower edge retention due to the geometry at the edge. A beefier secondary bevel angle (the cutting edge, Japanese knife knuts usually call this the primary) at the edge usually has more resistance but can work really well for those who rock the blade.

Curious of the weight and where the balance point is...

Sweet looking knife!
hippogriffin

Post by hippogriffin »

The handle looks beautiful.
Willison_Knives

milkbaby wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:13 pm Really nice and clean work! I really like the profile and handle.

Did you use clay and an edge quench? What grit finish on the blade?

What thickness do you grind to at the edge before sharpening? I personally prefer a knife ground to zero or essentially to zero before sharpening. My personal preference is for a bit of laser feel on push cut or locomotive style push. But I am a home user and don't worry much about lower edge retention due to the geometry at the edge. A beefier secondary bevel angle (the cutting edge, Japanese knife knuts usually call this the primary) at the edge usually has more resistance but can work really well for those who rock the blade.

Curious of the weight and where the balance point is...

Sweet looking knife!

Thanks!

I did use clay and a unintentional edge quench in peanut oil. I didn't have the oil deep enough and got a secondary hamon. Also, I think because the oil is a bit old, it didn't harden quick enough and ended up with less activity then i anticipated. The grit was at 3000 before i etched in ferric, then i took the edge back with 3000grit and mothers mag. I intended to polish out the whole thing but the hamon, but noticed a bit of what looks like grain in the steel where the softer steel is so I left it a little rougher.

The thickness of the edge was about .7mm before i put on the edge. I left the whole knife a bit beefy because of its size, and to be honest if it does sell the used might not like it to much and regrind the edge down to zero. But as is it doesn't cut pretty well, doesn't split veg and slices tomato no problem. The balance point is forward because of how long is is, even though i tapered it. I think the handle being a softer wood also makes it a bit lighter. the blade rocks with ease but still has a nice long flat spot for up and down chopping, Been meaning to make a video, but haven't had time. I don't know the weight cause i don't have a kitchen scale( broke awhile ago and haven't replaced yet)

Thanks for looking!
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Willison_Knives

hippogriffin wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:40 pm The handle looks beautiful.
Thanks!
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives