End Grain Boards

Moderator: Bensbites

Post Reply
Bensbites
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

End Grain Boards

Post by Bensbites » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:37 pm

Which style to you like the best? I am exploring end grain cutting boards and refining the process. The walnut/cherry/maple board is 2x12x15 while the cherry/maple board is 1.75 x12.5x17 inches.


datster
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:28 pm

Re: End Grain Boards

Post by datster » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:45 pm

I like the maple / Cherry better, I like that pattern.

Frankkj
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:00 am
Location: South Louisiana

Re: End Grain Boards

Post by Frankkj » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:40 am

I also like the maple/cherry pattern the most. Interesting pattern for sure.
Frank K

Cutuu
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: End Grain Boards

Post by Cutuu » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 am

I like the left one. I dont like how the other one has partial squares of different colors

Bensbites
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: End Grain Boards

Post by Bensbites » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:30 am

Cutuu wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 am
I like the left one. I dont like how the other one has partial squares of different colors
Thanks. What you are seeing is the sapwood/heartwood lines on the cherry. You are not the first person to make that comment.

Eversor13
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:39 am

Re: End Grain Boards

Post by Eversor13 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:44 am

I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I enjoy the sapwood/heartwood lines on the cherry. It certainly makes it different looking than the majority of checker pattern boards, and depending on the person, that's a good or bad thing.

Cutuu
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: End Grain Boards

Post by Cutuu » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am

Bensbites wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:30 am
Cutuu wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 am
I like the left one. I dont like how the other one has partial squares of different colors
Thanks. What you are seeing is the sapwood/heartwood lines on the cherry. You are not the first person to make that comment.
That makes sense now. Thanks

Bensbites
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: End Grain Boards

Post by Bensbites » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:13 pm

Cutuu wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am
Bensbites wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:30 am
Cutuu wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 am
I like the left one. I dont like how the other one has partial squares of different colors
Thanks. What you are seeing is the sapwood/heartwood lines on the cherry. You are not the first person to make that comment.
That makes sense now. Thanks
My wife looked at the photos and commented how different the boards look compared to real life. I am not trying to deminish the value of good photography here, more a self deprecating comment on my colorblindness.

Bensbites
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm
Location: Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: End Grain Boards

Post by Bensbites » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:16 pm



I thought I would add this photo, this board just feels like cutting on butter.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest