New knife...

Moderator: Bensbites

Bensbites

New knife...

Post by Bensbites »

So I backed the knasa knife on kickstarter before I found CKTG, started making my own handles, and now have some blanks awaiting shop time...

I am not sure if I should sell this or give to a parent who will not take care of it. Weight ~ 7.5 oz. hrc 70 the blade seems pretty thin.
timos

Re: New knife...

Post by timos »

hmmm interesting. What steel is it that finishes at hrc 70?
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

timos wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:48 pm hmmm interesting. What steel is it that finishes at hrc 70?
It is some "space age alloy", there are a few mm of the alloy bonded to softer stainless.

At first glance it is a flat grind and atleast moderately sharp.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Hey Ben?

Have you ever done/seen a wa handle with that laminated wood?
Always wondered how it would look.
I may try one just for kicks since I have a couple pieces somewhere amongst my burls.

I thought about which side to "show" vs also doing a D handle. Thoughts?

Edit: Now that I think about it. Could do it with sides showing and spacer scale in between?
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

nevrknow wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:21 pm Hey Ben?

Have you ever done/seen a wa handle with that laminated wood?
Always wondered how it would look.
I may try one just for kicks since I have a couple pieces somewhere amongst my burls.

I thought about which side to "show" vs also doing a D handle. Thoughts?

Edit: Now that I think about it. Could do it with sides showing and spacer scale in between?
I have done variations of thicker laminated wood, I am not seeing a lot of interest on those. I love the look, I may play more with that in the future.

I would love to make a handle with all end grain exposed. I have tried a couple variations, but nothing as turned out as well as I envision.
ChefJeff

Post by ChefJeff »

Hi Ben,

I nearly went for the "KNASA" knife but that guy's pitch was way too slick - when I played the video his voice made my sphincter slam shut just like it does at a car dealer. So I did some research.

As near as I can tell from the little he gave us, this is the miracle metal: https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2004/ch_7.html Liquid Metal's primary claim to fame is that it's an amorphous, not crystalline structure. That gives it mechanical properties that may make it superior in some applications but I couldn't find anything that suggests it makes a great knife edge or can exhibit hardness at or above 70 RC. If I hadn't read his NASA hype, only viewed that "production" video he posted, I'd have guessed he's welding a Stellite 6 edge or something similar to a low-grade stainless blank.

Cal Tech and Liquidmetal Techologies have been at this since 1992 but I can't find any cutting tools on the market. That said, the above article reveals they have developed sports equipment, cell phone casesl, etc. "....as well as scalpel blades that are stronger and sharper than steel, less expensive than diamond, and longer lasting than modern blades." So who knows? Maybe you're a genuine early adopter who's name will be mentioned in the same hushed tones people use to talk about those who bought Xerox stock at a dollar a share. ;)

If you decide to use it please let us know how it cuts and how well it holds an edge.

CJ
gladius

Post by gladius »

ChefJeff wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:56 pm If you decide to use it please let us know how it cuts and how well it holds an edge.

CJ
------

...and how easy (or not) it is to sharpen.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

gladius wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:05 pm
ChefJeff wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:56 pm If you decide to use it please let us know how it cuts and how well it holds an edge.

CJ
------

...and how easy (or not) it is to sharpen.
Good questions. To your points

1) use. For the last several weeks we have been though a minor kitchen renovation in the area where my knives are stored. Most of my knives are packed away for a few more weeks. Once they come out, I will not use it much. I backed this Kickstarter before I found Jknives. I have a strong preference for lighter blade heavy knives.

2) sharpening... I will keep you up to date when I eventually sharpen it.
miles717

Post by miles717 »

I'm very curious to hear your impressions, as well.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Well, I tried to cut carrots, this blade is similar to my shin. It will cut the carrot cleanly, but you hear the cracking.