Chocera or Shapton Pro or Shapton Glass

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Mark Roe

Chocera or Shapton Pro or Shapton Glass

Post by Mark Roe »

Everyone,

I currently use an EP Pro model (several years old) to put the final edge on knives that come out of my shop. I initially set/grind the bevel on a 2x72 grinder with a 320 grit belt. Then proceed to refine the angle and edge with the EP. I use the standard stones that came with it (220, 400, 600, 1000, polishing tape). I get a very sharp edge by folding knife and fixed blade standards (my opinion) but I am learning that there is a whole other level of sharpening and it is time to replace my stones, so here is the question...Which stones would you recommend between the Chosera, the Shapton Pro, or the Shapton glass stones. I truly appreciate any assistance any of you can offer.
Thank you,

Mark Roe
Roe Custom Knives
Instagram: @roeknives
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Chocera or Shapton Pro or Shapton Glass

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hi Mark,

I just put this set together at a discount. I think you would enjoy using it. It would give you a complete progression of stones.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shproforedpr.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there Mark & welcome to the forum. Firstly my apologies for the delayed reply, but better late than never. Having said that I don't own either the Choseras or the SP's for the Edge Pro so can't comment on them specifically except to say that what Mark (Richmond) has suggested is a very complete kit for the Edge Pro. I have a selection of Shapton Glass stones, which are just the business and the SP's have a similarly good reputation. Also I have some Nubatamas, which are a bit of a contrast.

What I can say is that I am also a long time user of the Edge Pro and I hung onto using the standard stones for Waaaaaaaaaay!! too long. Their higher grit stones (1000 & 1200 grit) are pretty good once something else has done the hard lifting. So a couple of things to be aware of; (i) the grit numbers don't line up as they are from different standards so you need to check out the Grand Uified Grit Chart here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=196 for the comparison (the Edge Pro stones are on the FEPA-F column) and (ii) take it easy to start with, when using the new stones because they cut a lot harder & quicker than the standard ones and you can easily take off too much.

HTH
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Rattler

Post by Rattler »

I went shapton glass and have zero regrets.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Yep SG's are a one & done solution and, as per my initial post, you can see that I have a few of these. Hard, not much dishing, splash & go, cut well, leave a good finish etc etc. So if you are simply wanting to get a job finished, they're hard to go past. Other brands and to some extent different stones within a give brand perform differently. So if you are looking for other properties like more feel, more mud etc its worth trying different stones & brands.

I find that my Nubatama stones are softer, have more feel than the SG's and grit for grit tend to produce a toothier edge. They are splash & go as well, but my experience is that they benefit from a bit of a soak. If you want to play around a bit then perhaps come back and ask for input for a particular grit size or stone brand and try that, then evaluate and decide if you'd like to try something else or continue with what you've just discovered.

HTH
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
TomCutlery

Post by TomCutlery »

My EP came with the SG stones and while I do want to try the choceras the SG stones leave phenomenal edges once you learn how to use the EP well
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Hi Mark,

Before making recommendations, tell me a bit more about the knives you make:

What steels do you use?
What grinder? Does it have a platen? Are your edges flat or convex (or even concave) grinds?
Are your knives kitchen knives, hunting knives, military use knives, etc?

Without this information, I don't feel I can give you a personal customized solution to optimally meet your needs.

---
Ken