Single bevel cheating

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Afjagjones

Single bevel cheating

Post by Afjagjones »

So, I bought a cheap mercer yani just to see if I'd like the style. Initially, I was laying down the back to as close to 0 as possible, but that is a PIA to go back and forth from 15 to 0 each time you want to flip the knife.

So now I'm doing the front and back at 15, but only using the back for a few strokes/ burr removal. I'll do say 20 swipes on the front to remove metal, and 4 or 5 lightlyon the back to clean it up.

Would you ever do this with a real knife?
Radar53

Re: Single bevel cheating

Post by Radar53 »

I did a W#2 single bevel petty some time ago & here's the way I first attacked it. I set up the EP to grind the front-side (RHS) of the blade, for the coarsest grit I was going to use in my progression. Separately, I laid the next stone in my progression onto a raised piece of 50 X 25 (2 by 1) on my bench. (It helps to put a damp / wet paper towel on top of the 2 X 1.) Then I would grind the RHS on the EP for 20 or 30 strokes & follow that by doing 3 or 4 light strokes flat on the LHS (Urasuki) on the stone that was on the bench. (Basically just enough to remove the burr.) Step & repeat until ready to move onto the next stone.

Then, replace the stone in the EP with the one from the bench and put the next stone in the progression onto the 2 X 1. Repeat using this combination of stones. Step & repeat until the last stone in the progression is in the EP. Then it gets a bit fiddly if you want both sides finished at the same grit. If so, grind the RHS, then remove the stone from the EP and put it onto the 2 X 1. Remove the burr. Put the stone back into the EP (don't change any of the EP settings). Step & repeat until satisfied.

I love my EP, but this is just a PITA and much better done on bench stones.

HTH
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
datster

Post by datster »

Afjagjones wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:20 pm So, I bought a cheap mercer yani just to see if I'd like the style. Initially, I was laying down the back to as close to 0 as possible, but that is a PIA to go back and forth from 15 to 0 each time you want to flip the knife.

So now I'm doing the front and back at 15, but only using the back for a few strokes/ burr removal. I'll do say 20 swipes on the front to remove metal, and 4 or 5 lightlyon the back to clean it up.

Would you ever do this with a real knife?
So, I wouldn't, but that's me. I'm new at yanis so this is just my opinion, I'm no pro by any means. Like you , I bought a Tojiro Yani to see how it would do slicing bacon slabs and also to up my sharpening game with new experience. I got a lot of experience out of it, it was ok out of the box but as a project has so much more potential. I spent a lot of time grinding each bevel just to get it flat. It still needs a bit of work and I hope to do that next week to finalize it. But, sharpening, I learned a lot. I wouldn't sharpen the back at an angle because the back consists of a flat at the spine, a flat above the edge and a concave center section. By removing metal with a a bevel you will eventually end up in the concavity and I would think you want to avoid that. What I did was sharpen the front with a 1K, then a couple lateral strokes flat on the back with a 5K.
Back to the front on the 5K, then, just a couple lateral or light pressure edge leading strokes on the back with the natural finishing stone. Then the natural finishing stone for the front side, same thing as before for the back, finishing stone with just a couple strokes on the back. Then a quick edge trailing few strokes on the front, a couple edge leading or lateral on the back, then a very light edge trailing pass again on the front. Everything on the back side was done flat. My next go round, I will probably micro bevel, we see after a few slabs of pork. :D
Afjagjones

Post by Afjagjones »

Good ideas!
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Does the blade road on the RHS go all the way to the edge of the edge or is there a separate sharpening bevel at the edge? Similar question for the LHS.
Cheers Grant

Afjagjones

Post by Afjagjones »

Small bevel on the right, no bevel on the left (except the one I put there...)
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Ok. I've only done one of these and I got that as a basket case, basically to do what you're doing ie rehabilitate the knife & learn a bit about single bevel knives. So please take anything that I write here with a big grain of salt and hopefully someone with more knowledge will either confirm or deny!!

My knife also had micro bevels on both sides. Big ugly ones, more like macro bevels, that were not at all consistent. Anyway I did quite a bit of research and watched many videos on sharpening a single bevel knife. Here are some videos that I found most informative. These are done with full sized bench stones, but you will get the gist of things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... XWiN6#t=87
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYZmtDl ... 79F53216AB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA0vdeD ... 79F53216AB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCY5CKk ... 79F53216AB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwnFrji ... 79F53216AB

I only put a microbevel on the RHS and as per Job Broida's video and used a fairly obtuse angle because on a single bevel knife the microbevel angle is also the total included angle.

Let's know how you get on.
Cheers Grant