Chosera stone use

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Bluecat

Chosera stone use

Post by Bluecat »

Just received my edge pro cholera set, no instructions for the stones, do I soak them ?
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Chosera stone use

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Yes I recommend a quick soak and lap before you use them. Quick means a few minutes, especially on the lower grit stones. The higher grits like the 5K and 10K are essentially splash and go. If your stones dry out as you use it simply apply a little more water and keep sharpening.

When you're done using them let them air dry completely. Don't store the stones in an area that gets extreme temperature changes like a garage.

If you have more questions as you try the machine please ask! I'll be happy to help. With a little practice you'll get screaming sharp edges with the machine.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Bluecat

Post by Bluecat »

Thanks Mark, what about the 1000, soak or splash ?
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there Bluecat & welcome to the forum.

As Mark says you need to keep the stones wet / moist during use on the Apex. The other thing is that as you grind steel the swarf will collect on the stone and this needs to be cleaned off. So with the small water bottle I add 4 - 6 drops of a quality car shampoo to the water to use on my stones while grinding edges. I don't have any Choseras, but you can feel & hear when the stones are getting a bit dry or loaded with swarf, so at that point rotate the stone arm & add a few drops to the surface. I have found that a damp piece of cut microfibre cloth (say 150 X 75 for each stone you have) is the best thing for then cleaning the swarf off the stone & leaving the stone damp / moist.

I try not to leave too much water on the stone because it then dribbles & runs all over the knife, blade table, and bench leaving a mess to clean up.

HTH
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Bluecat

Post by Bluecat »

Thanks radar, I haven't tried the shampoo yet, does it work better.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there Bluecat. Ben Dale, designer of the EP, recommends using a few drops of dishwash liquid for a bit of lubrication. The change to a quality car shampoo was a move I made. I know others from the forum use different things as well. Anyway, this is a purely subjective view from me. I'm keen on my cars and a good shampoo is supposed to "float" the dust, grit & grime in suspension above the paint.

So my thinking is that as well as providing a bit of lubrication that it will help with cleaning the swarf off the stone as & when.

No scientific evidence here & it could all be just poppycock, but I like the feel of it. YMMV
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Bluecat

Post by Bluecat »

Thanks, will give a try.