Shapton Glass or Naniwa Chosera

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Andreu

Shapton Glass or Naniwa Chosera

Post by Andreu »

Hi guys. First of all, I just want to thank you in advance for your much needed input and advice.

I am on the fence on buying the EP Essential Set or the EP Cutom Chosera Set. I am not quite sure which would be best for the types of knives/steels I have. Below are my current knives:

Sukenari Ginsanko Gyuto 240mm
Miyabi Birchwood Gyuto 210mm (SG2)
Masakage Yuki Gyuto 210mm
Masamoto KS Sujihiki 240mm
Ikazuchi Gyuto AS 240mm

I tried to look in the forum but I couldn't find one that would answer my questions regarding my specific question. Although, I did find one that is close but the OP did not list his knives which just let me hanging. :D I need to know which brand of stone would work best for the type of steels I currently have. I am kind of concern because of the variety of steels I have.

Thanks again.

Andreu
snipes

Re: Shapton Glass or Naniwa Chosera

Post by snipes »

I started with the Chosera stones for the EP (after the EP brand), but ended up switching the the Shapton Glass due to cracking issues with the Choseras. At the time they were being cut rather thin and random cracking due to air,temp,pressure,phase of the moon were happening on a regular basis. It wasn't just me either. This was several years ago and I think cktg mentioned they were cutting them thicker now, but I have not researched them at all since them. If the cracking issue has been resolved they had fantastic feedback, much better than the Shaptons. I can say this, you don't hear too many people complaining about the Shapton stones so it's hard to say they would be a bad move. Nothing on your list of knives causes me concern with that route. Don't rule the Choseras out if the cracking issue has been resolved, ping cktg if you are curious, Mark will know what I'm talking about and the current state of affairs.
Andreu

Post by Andreu »

Thanks for the repky Snipes. I wonder though if feedback is that important since I am not doing a freehand. Would that matter at all using an EP? If the cracking is still a persisting issue with Chosera, I think the SG would be a better route for me to take. Also, would the SG do a better job or faster job on an SG2, Ginsan or any stainless steel than a Chosera? I am still planning on expanding my knife collection so I am thinking ahead of which stones would suit me better for a wider range of steel tyoe. Thanks again
snipes

Post by snipes »

Andreu wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:59 pm Thanks for the repky Snipes. I wonder though if feedback is that important since I am not doing a freehand. Would that matter at all using an EP? If the cracking is still a persisting issue with Chosera, I think the SG would be a better route for me to take. Also, would the SG do a better job or faster job on an SG2, Ginsan or any stainless steel than a Chosera? I am still planning on expanding my knife collection so I am thinking ahead of which stones would suit me better for a wider range of steel tyoe. Thanks again
I can't say how important it is as I don't play with lots of different stones like some do. What I can say is there were a couple Chosera stones somewhere in the mid grits that just really felt good as they slide across the blade edge. It didn't happen with every stone in the lineup, but was consistent across knives and sharpening sessions. It made me think "wow I like how this guy works". So was it all mental? Maybe. Was that harmony leading to a superior edge compared to a rock hard I"ll give you nothing stone? Don't know. I can say that it added a level of enjoyment and connection that wasn't there with other stones. In the end that connection in time is what causes me to zone out and really focus on extracting everything I can during that sharpening session. At times sharpening can be a bit of a tough slog and the EP doesn't help in that matter so any type of tactile feedback only helps IMO.
Andreu

Post by Andreu »

great. I think I will contact Mark to find out about the issue with the Chosera then I can decide which way to go. Your input was very helpful. Thanks
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Either set is nice. I like chosera stones in general but don't find their extra feedback, which is little to begin with, to be worth the cost upgrade in full size stones. However, if I recall correctly the EP stones are more or less equally priced. I still think that the shapton glass stones are a perfect match to the edge pro but I am not a big EP user. Of the three sets of stone, when going freehand, I choose the Shapton pro most of the time but mix in a Chosera or two. :P

Regardless, feedback may not matter to some on an EP but I can assure you that it is still there! Chosera stones generally have a bit more feedback, in a way. If that feedback is better or worse is a question of taste however most will say that they prefer chosera. Me, it depends. I like the feedback of shapton Pro stones 220, 320, 1000 and 2000. Shapton glass 500 has good pro like feedback as well. WIth the pro line the 5k is, imo, the worst in terms of feedback as it has litte and it feels a bit odd in use as well. I prefer the Glass stones past 2000 grit. However, wit the chosera most of them good feedback but it can differ. The 3k is mega hard and percise and reminds me more of the Shapton Pro 2k, in a way. The 5k is quite soft and has wonderful feedback but some people don't like soft stones. The 400 and 600 are moderately soft as well. The 800 and 1000 probably, imo, have the best balance of being moderately hard and having very good feedback. The 2k, like the SP5k has a bit of a rubbery feel. Lastly, I have never used the Chosera 10k, shapton 16k or shapton 30k so I can not speak for those stone.

I will say that feedback, tactile feel in general is a subjective thing and may be different on an EP than freehand. Remember, I am a freehand guy who happens to play with an EP now and again. Also, it is hard to go wrong between shapton and chosera in general.
Andreu

Post by Andreu »

Thanks Kit. After speaking to Mark, I decided to buy the EP essential which are with SG 500, 1k and 6k earlier. I do have the Chosera 800 for freehand just to get the hang of freehand. Until I feel comfortable enough on my freehand, I will have the EP to fall back on just in case.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Andreu wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:20 pm Thanks Kit. After speaking to Mark, I decided to buy the EP essential which are with SG 500, 1k and 6k earlier. I do have the Chosera 800 for freehand just to get the hang of freehand. Until I feel comfortable enough on my freehand, I will have the EP to fall back on just in case.
Those are all good stones, you should enjoy it. :)
Andreu

Post by Andreu »

I appreciate it. 😀