Hapstone V6

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Otaku19

Hapstone V6

Post by Otaku19 »

Greetings fellow sharpeners! It has been quite some time since my last post and I've come full circle to an Edge Pro type sharpener. I have extensive experience with both the Wicked Edge and the Hapstone. I can say, without any hesitation, that the edges I can achieve on the Hapstone are light years beyond what I was able to attain on the WE. The cost savings are even better when using an Edge Pro type system. I look forward to any and all discussions in the near future. It is great to be back on this forum!!
Radar53

Re: Hapstone V6

Post by Radar53 »

Hey there Anthony, nice to hear from you & welcome back. The EdgePro forum here is a lot quieter than on the old forum and a lot of very experienced members haven't transitioned across to the new forum, which is a bit of a shame. Look forward to your insights & posts.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Otaku19

Post by Otaku19 »

Thank you Grant! That is most unfortunate about the older members. I'll have some extra time in the next week to post a little because there are a few very slight mods I used on the Hapstone. I'm amazed how quick they have put out the newest model and even the accessories they have. Konstantin has mentioned a scissor attachment in development that I am eagerly awaiting. It is also extremely similar to the Edge Pro Scissor Attachment.
doulos

Post by doulos »

HI Otaku19
Im new here. I have been using a EP Professional for a while. But due to a tremor that has developed thinking of going to a clamp system like the Wicked Edge or a magnet system like the Hapstone. Hapstone would be cheaper for sure because all my EP stones could be used. Ive never used a WE. I just hear raves from the owners of them. If I may ask why do you like the Hapstone better? Is the quality of the Hapstone up to snuff?
Any feedback would be helpful
Doulos
Organic

Post by Organic »

I think Hapstone offers a clamp that you can retrofit onto their system. (https://www.gritomatic.com/products/rot ... r-hapstone) This would allow you to have a clamped system and still use all of your old stones.

I am a Wicked Edge user. It is an expensive system but I do love it. I think the best part is the ability to clamp your knifes in the same position time and time again for quick maintenance of the edge either with stropping or a fine grit stone.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi There doulos & welcome to the forum. Apologies for not getting a response to this earlier, but while I am a long time user of the EdgePro (Apex) I have no hands on experience of either the Wicked Edge or the Hapstone so I've refrained from comment on their respective pros & cons, other than to say from what I can see they are all capable systems. There has been some discussion of both on the previous forum so it might be worth hunting that down.

Other than that Otaku19's OP is interesting, in that he started with the EP has spent time trying the others & is now seemingly back to the EP. Hopefully he can step into this at some stage.

The only advice I can offer here is for the EP Apex and CKTG sells this table magnet < https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tamaforedpro.html >. I'm not sure how this would work for the EP Pro. I think in the previous forum a member called Madrookie actually modified an EP Pro for this mod. I don't use it any more, but tried it for some time on my Apex and it certainly helps to secure the blade. I don't know if one magnet would be enough for what you are looking for, but certainly on the Apex you could add extra magnets.

So the mod for the magnet might be a cheap way to check out something that could work and save you a bit of money in exchange for a little effort.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
doulos

Post by doulos »

Thanks for the replies
I have a Edge Pro Professional. You can retrofit with magnets. But you have to alter the blade table by drilling holes underneath to accept the magnets. What I do now is I sometimes tape a number of neodymium magnets to the table top with packaging tape and lay the knife on that. I then raise my knife guide block up with cardboard or pieces of wood I have cut for the purpose. The packaging tape holds the magnets down well and allows the knife to be moved across the table. As I get older holding the blade is a little harder. I have a clamp system sharpener now (KME) But I cant use my EP stones with it and I have too many Edge Pro stones now to go to a new system that does not use them. I considered Hapstone because it uses EP stones and so does TSPROF. I like the EP. Yes its a bit harder to touch up knives than a WE, But a few minutes with a Sharpie I can usually get the angle set rather close to what I put on it previously. I sort of think EP has not done as much research and development on their system to improve it since it came out. It's basically exactly the same. WE is constantly trying to improve the shortcomings of their system.
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

Hello All,

I have used the EP Apex and the aforementioned magnets sold on CKTG. I found that they fit under the table and I could secure them with a drop of super glue; two of them work extremely well. So well in fact that I quit using them because I found it challenging to move the blade around and make adjustments for curvature, length, and differences in spine thickness. For straight blades they worked very well, but this is how I ended up starting to learn to freehand sharpen. One thing I did find very helpful though is EP's recent introduction of a device that helped secure the system to a table.
Otaku19

Post by Otaku19 »

Gentlemen, I apologize for not responding promptly. The problem with the Wicked Edge for me, is that if a knife is too narrow, or too flexible, it is much more difficult to sharpen. To my knowledge, there has been no development in either of these scenarios. The Tormek small knife attachment is extremely flexible if you try to hit lower angles on Case style knives. The Low Angle Adapter still does not rectify the problem of only being able to sharpen these knives to around 44 degrees inclusive. If you have shorter, wider blades that have no flex, the W.E. is a great system. The repeatability to me is a moot point because once I have properly profiled a knife to the Hapstone, I no longer need to sharpen at that exact same angle again. With the amount of use my knives see, I can always strop my edges back to sharpness. Even in the worst case scenario, I can put a micro-bevel on in a short amount of time. I believe that the Edge Pro variants offer more flexibility in terms of stones and blade styles that can be sharpened.