Chosera upgrade

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Slannesh

Chosera upgrade

Post by Slannesh »

I know i'm preaching to the choir here, but had to share my excitement somewhere that would understand.

Hi by the way, i'm new :)

I just received my new set of stones from CKTG, I spent a lot of time fighting with the cheap chinese knockoffs before deciding that real stones should make a big difference in both how quickly and how effectively my sharpening could be.

I opted to buy the CKTG 140 and 400 grit diamond plates for my EP and then Chosera stones in 600, 1000 and 3000 grit.

I knew they would be better, but I wasn't prepared for just HOW much better. Wow, what a difference! I just finished putting an edge on a knife I had made and it went so well and quickly that I fixed a couple of our cheap kitchen knives then sharpened two more of the ones I had made... all in about the same amount of time it used to take me to put the edge on and sharpen one knife in the past. I really wish I had found this site a long time ago!

Thank you for getting these stones made an put out there, I am beyond pleased with my purchase!
Lepus

Re: Chosera upgrade

Post by Lepus »

That's good to see. It's difficult to overstate how much better good stones make an Edge Pro. The system isn't that inherently fast, so using a high abrasive density stone made from abrasives that can cleanly cut harder steels is a game changer.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi There Slannnesh and welcome to the forum. Yes at some stage we all go through this epiphany. I persevered with the standard EP stones for waaaaaaay too long before finally taking the plunge. There's none so blind as those who don't want to see haha. Having said that, I have found their fine stones (the 1k & 1200) are really good finishing stones once the hard work has been done.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Hi Slannnesh and welcome to our house of fun. I too am one of those who have tried to get by on the cheap, to many times, only to waste time and money and wind up right where I should have started. Glad you did eventually find the light! Hope you stick around and share more of your experiences with us. Be weary though, this is an expensive crowd to hang with! ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Slannesh

Post by Slannesh »

Sounds good to me :)

Being in Canada, one of the frustrating things I've found in both the sharpening world and the knifemaking world in general is lack of access to materials/products. There are two knifemaking specific dealers I know of in Canada, our only other option is to buy from the US, deal with exchange, possible customs as well as the gross shipping costs coming into Canada. This is much the same when dealing with sharpening supplies which makes it a much more expensive endeavour in Canada than in the US. Totally not CKTG's fault but a common Canadian frustration. I was very happy to not take a big customs hit buying these stones, but not being able to take advantage of free shipping promotions sucks.

Still, with the time I've saved alone in how much faster these stones work they're worth pretty much any price. An hour I don't have to spend sharpening is an hour I could be making a new knife. That was my biggest reason for wanting to look into them, seeing a few youtube videos of people going from 140 grit rough grinds to finished multi thousand grit finishes in 1/5 the time I'd been doing it in with crappy stones was very interesting to me. The fact that it does so at a much higher quality too was very welcome icing on the cake. I'm already looking at 5k and 10K stones, but will need to sell a few knives first ;)
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

It is amazing the difference in high quality water stones vs low quality water stones or any other for that matter. You have to experience it to truly appreciate the difference. The first stone I ever used was a cheap hardware store stone that my father made me use to sharpen his outdoor knives. Everything I tried from that day was a step up.

As far as being in Canada and costs, send a PM to Peter Nowlan on this forum. He's a pro sharpener in Nova Scotia and he may have a few tricks or leads in getting various supplies and materials on the cheap.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Slannesh

Post by Slannesh »

Thanks for the info Jeff. I've heard of Peter before, I'll touch base with him and see if he has any tips for me ;)