Sticky Edge Pro Angle Arm

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Jason H

Re: Sticky Edge Pro Angle Arm

Post by Jason H »

JoeWheels wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:18 pm
Jason H wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:52 pm Hello All,

Lot's of good advice here and I'll add my two cents. For myself, I have found that chatter indicates either a 1) dry stone, 2) dished, unflat, or loaded up stone 3) the stone is not matching the angle of the blade. I have found #3 to be the most common cause of chatter.

Carry on!
Hi Jason,

Are you talking Edge Pro here?
If so, I'm curious as to which stones you're using.
If I were to set the stone at an angle different from the blade,
it would simply cut at the new angle, no fuss at all.

Hello Joe,

Yes, I am talking about the Edge Pro. As for stones, I used stock and Congress stone for a long time before settling in with CKTG 140 plate, Chosera and Shapton Glass. (Which I wish I had done much sooner).

What I found is that the angle of the stone and the angle of the edge quit matching for two reasons: 1) the stone was changed with a different thickness and this was not taken into account and adjusted for, 2) the spine of the knife thinned out towards the tip enough that it changed the angle of approach- not only causing chatter but a widened bevel.

I hope this somehow helps!
jameelm

Post by jameelm »

Radar53 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:57 pm
For the standard EP set-up I start each sharpening session by cleaning & lubricating the stone arm with silicon spray. Only the bit of the stone arm that doesn’t hold the stone. I also spray silicon onto small amount of fabric and use this to clean & lubricate the hole in the plastic block that the stone arm goes into that’s on the vertical shaft.
Do you take the end of the stone arm off when you clean? Is that what you used bolt cutters for? What did you replace the end of the arm with? It looked like you had a different end on yours in that photo you linked.
Radar53 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:57 pm 3) Brass tube spacer mod. Here is a picture https://www.dropbox.com/s/hq1l93axqftfv ... 6.jpg?dl=0
If you look carefully you can see the brass tube just sticking out of both ends of the plastic block on the vertical “angle” shaft.

4) Sharpknives Rod Mods. He was selling these at the time, but I’ve no idea if he has any left or what, as he hasn’t moved across to the new forum. If it’s something that you want to explore ONE OF THE FORUM MODS might be able to put you in touch. Its pretty much plug & play with the more recent versions of the EP Apex I think. Mine is a really old model & I needed to do some mods.
I found screenshots of the rod mods. For all the changes and adjustments (and that bit about enlarging the hole on the machine to hold the modified rod), not to mention charges, I completely see how the Hapstone v7 is a compelling offer. Basically looks like they took everything Edge Pro didn't and did it. Sorry to say, but I'd probably be more likely to go that route for all the cumulative benefits before I risk breaking this unit trying some of those modifications. I don't have bolt cutters or drill attachments to enlarge the bores that are already present (yes, they are much cheaper to acquire than a v7, but the pursuit here was "I don't need to think too much to sharpen well and not ruin my knives).

I gather I do my best to clean this arm as is and see what I come up with in the short term. Watching a v7 demo certainly had me feeling like the goat was rising.

--
Jameel
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi Jameel ~ I will try to address your concerns

1) "Do you take the end of the stone arm off when you clean? Is that what you used bolt cutters for? What did you replace the end of the arm with? It looked like you had a different end on yours in that photo you linked."

The different end, to which you refer, is simply a drill stop collar see here https://www.chefknivestogo.com/5drstcowhexk.html and I was just experimenting with it, at the time I took the photo, for something completely different. Rest assured, that apart from that addition (which I no longer use), no stone arm was dismembered in the making of this modification.

2) Work required to do undertake the mod I referred to is minimal, but if you don't have a drill or the correct drill bit obviously you can't do it. Certainly no bolt cutters were ever needed.
As regards the "mod rods", I'm now not 100% sure, but I think that the mod rods are a simple "take the old setup out & put the new setup in". The problems I had were there because my EdgePro is coming up 20 years old and the design has changed a little in the details, since then. That's why I had to modify my unit to fit the new rods.

3) EdgePro vs the Hapstone v7. I guess my main criticsm of EdgePro is that it's still essentially the same as it was 20 odd years ago. New players seem to develop & update their products / jigs on a fairly regular basis. I haven't used a Hapstone, but I have to say that they NOW look to be a solid, well thought out & designed unit. I do think that their price is an issue though. In my opinion the EdgePro is already expensive enough. So I see the cost of the Hapstone as way OTT and I don't think that it would give me edges that are any better than I now get off the EdgePro.

I hope that all helps
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!