Considering the edge pro professional

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
bosco

Considering the edge pro professional

Post by bosco »

I have purchased stones and have yet to get around to using them and have taken my knife to be professionally sharpened a few times. A friend recently ordered the wicked edge and I began looking at the edge pro again as an option.

I am just curious if the lower angle is needed or if I can make the regular edge pro work.

So, for those that have the professional series, is it worth the upgrade?

If I order one, I plan on using a shapton glass set of stones

Advice on what direction to go.
JoeWheels

Re: Considering the edge pro professional

Post by JoeWheels »

Hi

I can weigh in here-
After wondering the same I finally bought an Apex, learned how to use it and did fine.
A year or so later I bought the Pro model and VERY much appreciate the upgrade.
The whole system is so much more locked down solid.
There's quite a lot more to like than lower angles.

It all boils down to how much you'll use it though, and whether it's worth the extra bread.
You can get great results with the Apex, and have an easy time passing it on when you're done with it too.

As for the SG stones, they're alright for most metals.
There are LOTS more options now though.

What will you be sharpening?

Joe
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

I may have a used one to sell if you're interested.. I bought it used and have sharpened maybe 4 knives on it.. I thought it would save me time but I think I'm just more comfortable going freehand.
I'll have to check what model it is, it does have some extra stuff on it, (magnet / collar / extra stones, etc.)
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there bosco. I've had and Apex for close of 20 years now and it can do everything that I want. I've modded mine with the Douglas <SharpKnives> RodMods, which provide a significant improvement IMHO. These mods are also available for the EP Pro as well BTW.

So the only problem now with my Apex is that I can only get down to about 9º (true to the centre line of the spine / edge) for thinning and even that takes a bit of jiggery pokery. For general sharpening, just for example, for good, well heat-treated steel at say 62HRC I would use a final microbevel angle of say 13º and it's all good for that. Slightly different story for say my HAP40 or ZDP189 gyutos at between 65 & 67HRC for which the final microbevel might be 8 to 10º, so it's back to a bit of mucking around.

So like you and Joe, I've been looking at buying an EP Pro for a year or so now. It might be an upcoming Christmas present this year :D :D .
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
bosco

Post by bosco »

STPepper9 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:25 pm I may have a used one to sell if you're interested.. I bought it used and have sharpened maybe 4 knives on it.. I thought it would save me time but I think I'm just more comfortable going freehand.
I'll have to check what model it is, it does have some extra stuff on it, (magnet / collar / extra stones, etc.)
Send me a message. Very interested
BillyJack

Post by BillyJack »

I have a sharpening business and sharpen a lot of knives. I started with the Apex and moved up to the Pro. I really like the Pro for very low angles and for thinning knives. I like the over all build quality of the Pro, not that the Apex is cheap by any means. I do like the ramp at the end of the sharpening arm as well. Helps make the stones wear more even IMHO.
hrbngr

Post by hrbngr »

Radar53,

Do you know if the poster SharpKnives from the old forums is here on the new forums? I would like to get a set of RodMods for my Edge Professional if they are still available or could be made. I would have PM'd you but I recently registered for the new forums.
Radar53 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:35 pm Hi there bosco. I've had and Apex for close of 20 years now and it can do everything that I want. I've modded mine with the Douglas <SharpKnives> RodMods, which provide a significant improvement IMHO. These mods are also available for the EP Pro as well BTW.

So the only problem now with my Apex is that I can only get down to about 9º (true to the centre line of the spine / edge) for thinning and even that takes a bit of jiggery pokery. For general sharpening, just for example, for good, well heat-treated steel at say 62HRC I would use a final microbevel angle of say 13º and it's all good for that. Slightly different story for say my HAP40 or ZDP189 gyutos at between 65 & 67HRC for which the final microbevel might be 8 to 10º, so it's back to a bit of mucking around.

So like you and Joe, I've been looking at buying an EP Pro for a year or so now. It might be an upcoming Christmas present this year :D :D .
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Unfortunately Douglas did not transition over to the new forum, which is a real shame as he was a great contributor, sharpener and all around nice bloke.

In terms of getting a set of RodMods, I think that you are now down to trying to find some second hand or getting your own made. There are other manufacturers of jigs similar to the EP who use and sell the rod end guides, so you might be able to get rods from them. Try Hapstone here <https://www.gritomatic.com/products/hap ... -sharpener> because I think that Otaku19 has looked into that previously. You could also try sending Otaku19 a pm
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!