Edge pro + Finger Stones?

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Squirrelbutter

Edge pro + Finger Stones?

Post by Squirrelbutter »

Just curious if anyone has ever tried this? I really want to get into natural stones but am reluctant to go freehand. While browsing I saw some flat finger stones they would be small but I think I can make it work. I know this is a long shot but does anyone have experience with this? Any advice is greatly appreciated
J david

Re: Edge pro + Finger Stones?

Post by J david »

I suppose you could flatten your blade road with a guided system if your system will achieve an acute enough an angle. I doubt that this is do-able or desireable.

Really what you are trying to achieve is a reduction in scratch pattern in a progression to a desired polish. You would finish this on a stone, finger stone or other wise, to get the contrast you are after.

You could do a sandpaper or micromesh progression on the blade road and then finish with fingerstones. Carefully done, this would maintain the geometry of the grind and keep the knife cutting as previously experienced.

Another way would be to flatten the blade road on bench stones and then apply the desired polish. This is probably cosmetically what you desire as this is how most achieve the aesthetic you are looking for. This will change the characteristics of the knife's performance if the knife had anything other than a flat grind on the blade road. Whether this is what you are after or not is a decision you will have to make. Some like a flat grind as long as it is thin enough. Some, like myself, find it rather boring as compared to a well done convex grind. There are an infinite number of variences in between.

Long story short, I don't think your edge pro will be of much help getting polish you are after. I may be mistaken, but I have not yet seen someone flatten a blade road with a guided system. I'm sure it has been done, just not commonplace.