Edge pro use my way

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Larrymuffett22

Edge pro use my way

Post by Larrymuffett22 »

I just want to give my technique on how I use my edge pro.
I use atoma diamond plates for reprofiling and setting apex. Then glass with diamond paper used for fiber optic.
No stones used, I get fast results, that cut free hanging human hair. I can make a mirror finish or a 30 micron toothy finish. I am very happy with my results! This works for me with kitchen knives and pocket knives with super steaks, and it is so accurate and fast.
I'm open to any questions.
Otaku19

Re: Edge pro use my way

Post by Otaku19 »

I've never had good results with lapping film except for polishing. The edge is always more coarse than the micron rating suggests. I always get a more refined edge with the stones.
Larrymuffett22

Post by Larrymuffett22 »

I find a 30 micron Angstrom lap diamond paper will raise a burr on s110v and leaves a very uniform scratch pattern. Better than a 1200 atoma. No stone maintenance and excellent results and excellent accuracy. A quick light strop with 3.5 m diamond paste and I'm stupid sharp. Of course I can bring it to a mirror if I want. I just found my method super fast and easy for me. With 3 diamond stones and three glass diamond paper, 30m, 9m 3m I get great results.
I would never suggest my way is the only way, I just find it so fast and easy to get excellent results.
Dieter

Post by Dieter »

I use PSA lapping film as well, down to 0.3 micron. I use it to hone straight razors on the Edge Pro. Effortless HHT (hanging hair test) and BBS shave results. The Edge Pro is a very viable tool for honing straight razors.
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

Dieter wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:37 pm I use PSA lapping film as well, down to 0.3 micron. I use it to hone straight razors on the Edge Pro. Effortless HHT (hanging hair test) and BBS shave results. The Edge Pro is a very viable tool for honing straight razors.
What is your trick for getting the EP to work at that low of an angle?
Dieter

Post by Dieter »

The lowest angle required so far has been 18 degrees. No clearance issues yet.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

I use 3M PSA diamond films for, shall we say, the more difficult steels. I have a selection of grits ranging from 120 microns to 150,000 microns. They come in 6" X 3" sheets (which is perfect for getting three "films" per sheet), and I generally get about three knives done per 1" X 6'' film. They cut really aggressively, seem to have a very tight grit specification, leave a very consistent & repeatable scratch pattern (no really deep scratches) and leave a slightly toothy finish compared to the same grit whetstone.

Apart from the 120 micron film, which is slightly thicker, the remainder have the same film thickness. So a real advantage is that once I get to 150 micron & above, I can just remove one film and replace it with the next one in my progression and not have to worry about any change in angle from having different thicknesses as in using stones.

They are great for doing knives now & then, but would be more expensive than whetstones for continuous work.

HTH
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
ken123

Post by ken123 »

So 30 microns is aproximately 500 grit. If you are initially sticking to diamond plates for the EP, you might enjoy my 3000 grit diamond plates both for knives and razors.

I tend to go with strops over films simply because they are more robust. There is no single right way to do all this. Using strops with compounds, I cn go to as fine a grit as I wish (up to 5.3 million grit).

---
Ken