Arashiyama 1k and 6k

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
Otaku19

Arashiyama 1k and 6k

Post by Otaku19 »

Sharpener's remorse: Selling the Arashiyama 1k and 6k. These are two very special stones to me that I started hand sharpening with years ago. I was decent at hand sharpening but found that I was lacking in precision when it came to my edges. I decided to sell the full size versions of these stones and have missed them ever since. My journey has continued with guided sharpeners and I have fallen in love with these stones all over again. My Kershaw Natrix was dull and needed to be sharpened. These are 2 of my favorite stones for sharpening non powdered metal steels.

Arashiyama 1k on the left and 6k on the right. Both stones are drying after using them.

Arashiyama 1k edge

Arashiyama 6k edge

Terrible lighting that doesn't do the edge justice
nakneker

Re: Arashiyama 1k and 6k

Post by nakneker »

Where did you buy them, I’d like to get those myself. Thanks for sharing!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The same set that I started on. I should have atleast held onto the 6k.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Otaku19

Post by Otaku19 »

I'm amazed at how quick the 6k removes the scratch pattern from the 1k. I could have gotten a better polish if I had used a stone in between these 2 but I'm still very pleased with their performance as a 1-2 combination after a tight grit progession. I didn't soak these, just splash and go. I have read that soaking both gives a better finish but I am concerned with cracking on these like the choseras.
old onion

Post by old onion »

The more I use my Arashiyama 6k,the more I like it.Heck,I even take my edges to the 6k more often now since I do like that stone so much.It has that nice smooth creamy feel that I like so much,give it a little slurry and it is even better.I enjoy how my edge just shines and stands out but still leaves me with an edge that preforms very well.A couple finishing strokes on my beautiful 2 foot long Kangaroo strop and I have an edge that I can be very proud of. And by the way,I use it as splash and go only but wrap a damp microfiber towel around it and let it dry on it's side , slowly on my rack to combat any cracking issues that stones of this nature may have.
Otaku19

Post by Otaku19 »

I believe these 2 stones are highly underrated for their use on the softer steels.