Chaos Boards

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
TheTimberedWolf

Chaos Boards

Post by TheTimberedWolf »

Some people love them, and some people hate them. how do y'all feel about them? I make a lot of chaos', here's a few pics of what I've done.

Figured Walnut, Bocote, & Canarywood.
Image[/URL[URL=http://s1076.photobucket.com/user/thetimberedwolf/media/20170404_TimberedWolf_1422_0024_zpsa4m6giit.jpg.html]Image

Cherry, Sapele, Figured Walnut, & Curly Maple.Image

Yellowheart, Purpleheart, Maple.Image

Padauk, Cherry, Sapele, & Maple.Image

Yellowheart, Purpleheart, Maple Version 2.

Walnut, Cherry, Maple, Sapele.Image

Purpleheart, Curly Maple, White Oak.Image

White Oak & Ash.Image

White Oak Chaos Center. Chechen, Walnut, Padauk, Cherry, Maple, Purpleheart Chaos Border.Image

Ambrosia Maple, Maple, Walnut, Sapele, Yellowheart.Image

Ambrosia Maple, Maple, Walnut, Sapele, Yellowheart Version 2.Image
nevrknow

Re: Chaos Boards

Post by nevrknow »

I love'em but DAMN putting those together! You don't slap those together in an hour. Looks ( and probably priced ) like museum pieces. THAT is some artwork Chris!

Nice!
TheTimberedWolf

nevrknow wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:20 pm I love'em but DAMN putting those together! You don't slap those together in an hour. Looks ( and probably priced ) like museum pieces. THAT is some artwork Chris!

Nice!
Haha! Surprisingly they're not too bad, especially since i do batches of 5-7 at a time. And, they usually price the same as my normal boards! I believe the walnut, canary, bocote one was the only to be super expensive. thanks!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I guess I am boring. I just like simple walnut.
Joshigon

Post by Joshigon »

I love all your work, so far. I really like plan center with chaos rim.
Josh Cooper
TheTimberedWolf

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:13 pm I guess I am boring. I just like simple walnut.
I wouldn’t call that boring!
TheTimberedWolf

Joshigon wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:09 pm I love all your work, so far. I really like plan center with chaos rim.
Thanks, bud! That one was interesting because the center section is a chaos, just of one species of wood. It’s one of my favorites to date.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Since you asked, I'll say that I like the pictorial aspect of the boards: I think you tend to use good colors, styling, etc., and the patterning is great (and I don't think that aspect is "easy" by any stretch).

But I am not fond of these types of boards in general. Two basic reasons: 1) I don't want to work on such a busy space, and 2) I have a deep-seated intuition that a good, strong board is based on larger pieces of wood with interlocking seams (like laying bricks), much like the old Boardsmith designs (I am not a woodworker, so I am not saying this "belief" is fact...it is just the way I feel about it). The old B.S. kind of design uses bigger, more stable pieces of wood with more consistent surface area conditions (regardless of whether it is 1, 2, or 3 types of wood), uses less glue, and has fewer seams, which why I like it. The "chaos" boards are the opposite of this: small pieces of wood, considerably more change in surface type over any given span, and a much higher glue to wood surface area ratio in the board itself (as well as more seams in general).

So, while cosmetically, I totally get it, I know it is not for me. However, I also "trust" woodworkers, so it isn't that I actually think these boards are lower quality or anything. Like I said, it is just my own feeling and hang up, if you will, based on my own (probably inaccurate) intuitions about wood construction.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
TheTimberedWolf

salemj wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:04 pm Since you asked, I'll say that I like the pictorial aspect of the boards: I think you tend to use good colors, styling, etc., and the patterning is great (and I don't think that aspect is "easy" by any stretch).

But I am not fond of these types of boards in general. Two basic reasons: 1) I don't want to work on such a busy space, and 2) I have a deep-seated intuition that a good, strong board is based on larger pieces of wood with interlocking seams (like laying bricks), much like the old Boardsmith designs (I am not a woodworker, so I am not saying this "belief" is fact...it is just the way I feel about it). The old B.S. kind of design uses bigger, more stable pieces of wood with more consistent surface area conditions (regardless of whether it is 1, 2, or 3 types of wood), uses less glue, and has fewer seams, which why I like it. The "chaos" boards are the opposite of this: small pieces of wood, considerably more change in surface type over any given span, and a much higher glue to wood surface area ratio in the board itself (as well as more seams in general).

So, while cosmetically, I totally get it, I know it is not for me. However, I also "trust" woodworkers, so it isn't that I actually think these boards are lower quality or anything. Like I said, it is just my own feeling and hang up, if you will, based on my own (probably inaccurate) intuitions about wood construction.

Those are excellent points!!
Chaos' really are one of those things where people love them, or they absolutely don't, haha.

I totally understand the small pieces of wood & more glue ups being a hang up for you! you're not the first I've heard feel that way, and it can understand where that intuition comes from. i can tell you, super honestly, that the glue used in cutting board applications is actually PSI strength higher than most domestic woods. you'll break the wood in the board before you break the glue joint (if the glue seam was tight to begin with). Ive had a few mishaps over time with boards breaking in the making process, and I've officially split cherry, maple, walnut, and hickory while maintaining unbroken glue joints. One thing to look at, too, is that the glue joints in a chaos aren't on a horizontal/vertical axis, so theres no specific weak spot, each individual part of the board carries the same strength, even if some parts of the wood are integrally flawed.

So, in the science of things, the larger pieces of wood with minimal glue will result in a weaker board - Janka Hardness & Tinsle Strength of wood is carried through face/edge grain. It makes absolutely no difference though, because the way you like them designed, you'd still need an axe to break it haha.

I appreciate that feedback & honesty! Have you ever cut on a chaos? if not, & if you didn't have to spend any money at all, would you be open to test running one to see if use could give you new outlook?
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

TheTimberedWolf wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 pm White Oak Chaos Center. Chechen, Walnut, Padauk, Cherry, Maple, Purpleheart Chaos Border.Image
I like this one a lot
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

STPepper9 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:36 am
TheTimberedWolf wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 pm White Oak Chaos Center. Chechen, Walnut, Padauk, Cherry, Maple, Purpleheart Chaos Border.Image
I like this one a lot
+1
Cool looking boards overall.
TheTimberedWolf

I like this one a lot
Thanks, dude! That one was my pride & joy & still one of my all time favorites. All 21 days of labor, haha.
TheTimberedWolf

Cutuu wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:40 am
I like this one a lot
+1
Cool looking boards overall.

Thanks 🤙🏽🤙🏽😄
timos

Post by timos »

i love it! id like to get one some day..do you ever do that style with just end grain maple?
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
TheTimberedWolf

timos wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:27 pm i love it! id like to get one some day..do you ever do that style with just end grain maple?
that'd be awesome!
i haven't as of yet, but its on the to do list! id like to do it with walnut, too.
slobound

Post by slobound »

These look great, Chris! I love the artistry, I hate that I don't have one yet. :lol:
-- Garrick
TheTimberedWolf

slobound wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 am These look great, Chris! I love the artistry, I hate that I don't have one yet. :lol:
Thanks! Ha!!! We can change that whenever you’re ready 😉😉
Frankkj

Post by Frankkj »

That's quite some boards. Great workmanship, but I cannot imagine working on one.
I like well made, end grain boards with a little less flash.
Will get around to ordering one before long.

Frankkj
TheTimberedWolf

Frankkj wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:39 am That's quite some boards. Great workmanship, but I cannot imagine working on one.
I like well made, end grain boards with a little less flash.
Will get around to ordering one before long.

Frankkj
Haha! They can definitely be hectic. That’d be awesome! I look forward to hearing from you.