Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
gastro gnome

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by gastro gnome » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:57 am

old onion wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:48 am
Bensbites wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:38 am
snipes wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:14 pm
I also have a little matfer. Perfect size for a couple of sunny side up eggs. Now if could just get the mrs. to stop using it maybe I could work up to slicker than glass. Still though just a teaspoon or so of butter and no issues with eggs sticking. So much lighter and quicker heating than cast iron. My next purchase will be one big enough to sear a nice ribeye in.
Thanks for the tip on the Newquist, I'll have to look into those as well.
I have tried many different ways of seasoning my skillets, the best way so far has been to add some canola oil and cook pancakes on low -med heat. Every other method leaves a seasoning that is not well bonded.
I was going to season my Matfer like I seasoned my Woks but went the Flaxseed seasoning route instead and it bonds nicely.
Got to scrub the pan real good with salt,Olive oil and potato skins to get the factory protective layer off then I just warmed the pan and wiped a VERY LIGHT coat of Flaxseed oil in it and heated it up till it smoked then removed the pan from the burned and let it cool.I did this 9 times and then afterwards,I sliced up a whole onion and fried it in Olive oil till the onion was charred,all the while moving the onion around all over the inside of the pan.Make sure your Flaxseed oil layers are put on very thin or it will become gummy.
The only real times I've had issues with flaking was with flaxseed. That being said, I probably started off using it (i think at Cook's Illustrated or Shirley Corriher's suggestion) early on in my history of seasoning pans. I think my technique has improved (use less oil!) so maybe if I tried it again, it would bond better this time. Recently, I've only used regular old canola oil for seasoning and maintenance and it has worked well.

Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:39 pm

I could never get my flax seasoning to work. But I recently tried the CI route to re-season and so far it works well.

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:20 am

I've never done the flaxseed stuff - just boil some potato skins and some salt in a pan for a while, scrub the thing with steel wool and pour in some olive oil while pan is cool and heat it till the oil smokes and take it off the heat. When cool wipe dry. Had to restore a pan my sister had washed in soap too many times - thing is fine now. They are steel - been used for hundreds of year by people with no formal education and no idea what flaxseed oil is. Some of my pans are over 60 years old and still easy to use and care for.

old onion

Post by old onion » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:59 am

lsboogy wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:20 am
I've never done the flaxseed stuff - just boil some potato skins and some salt in a pan for a while, scrub the thing with steel wool and pour in some olive oil while pan is cool and heat it till the oil smokes and take it off the heat. When cool wipe dry. Had to restore a pan my sister had washed in soap too many times - thing is fine now. They are steel - been used for hundreds of year by people with no formal education and no idea what flaxseed oil is. Some of my pans are over 60 years old and still easy to use and care for.
Oh yes,how I remember the good ol days when Grandma just cooked with Lard and seasoned the pans at the same time.None of this stupid shit.

old onion

Post by old onion » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:19 am

mauichef wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:51 pm
Has anyone had experience with both a Matfer and a DeBuyer?
How do they compare?
When I was looking for a carbon steel pan,I only had pictures to go by and the very first thing that popped out on me was how high of an angle the handles were on most of them except for the Matfer. I knew I would probably struggle with the long handle being that I only touch the sky from 5'7" so I went with the Matfer because the handle is angled lower. Carbon steel is carbon steel so if you are tall,it won't matter but if you are short like me,I'd go with the Matfer.I am not sure how the spot welds will hold up though but so far they are holding up just fine.I can always weld the handle back on myself if there is a breakage.I like the weld though over the rivets because I have two Woks with rivet handles and they all worked loose from the heating and cooling effect.On the thicker steel carbon pans,it probably is a non issue.

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:29 pm

All of my really old (60+years of home duty) pans are riveted - don't know how they do or did it, but I don't have my pans with loose handles, and non of the Matfers with welds have ever had a problem either. And they are pretty cheap (bought a Matfer for the nieces and mineral B for a nephew a week ago - Xmas presents) for under $60 each. If they are like mine, they will last forever or at least a few years, cheaper than a target copper tv pan for $20 in the long run. Mine have survived sheep hunts (3 weeks backcountry in the mountains north of Yellowstone), and general camping duty for as long as I can remember - and I still use them nearly every day. Like cast iron but lighter - I think they are lifetime pans

old onion

Post by old onion » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:31 am

The wife just bought 23 new chicks a few weeks ago to top off our chicken coop supply so I figure to be eating a whole bunch of eggs.I don't know why I never bought a dedicated omelette pan before but thinking I don't want to be tossing my 11-7/8" Matfer around,I just ordered a 9-1/2" Matfer to take on the job of dedicated egg flipper. :D

snipes

Post by snipes » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:27 am

old onion wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:31 am
The wife just bought 23 new chicks a few weeks ago to top off our chicken coop supply so I figure to be eating a whole bunch of eggs.I don't know why I never bought a dedicated omelette pan before but thinking I don't want to be tossing my 11-7/8" Matfer around,I just ordered a 9-1/2" Matfer to take on the job of dedicated egg flipper. :D
Should work out perfectly. I have the 8 1/2" incher for the same purpose. Three eggs in there, lid for 90 seconds. Perfect sunny side up.

old onion

Post by old onion » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:17 pm

snipes wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:27 am
old onion wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:31 am
Should work out perfectly. I have the 8 1/2" incher for the same purpose. Three eggs in there, lid for 90 seconds. Perfect sunny side up.
It will arrive tomorrow.Going to do things differently this time.Going to ditch the Flaxseed oil which is long gone by now and will season with very light coats of Canola Oil. The only other oil I used for seasoning was Crisco for my cast iron pans which came out great and the seasoning held up really well.

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:22 pm

I've never used anything but butter and olive oil in my little mineral b crepe pan (I do two eggs) and it's as nonstick as anything after 40 years of hard duty. My latest (14" I think - huge pan) has only seen the potatoe skins/salt once, and olive oil and butter since. Both have been over anything from campfires to nice stoves, neither is anything but slippery as wet glass. The whole oil thing is hooey - my mom used hers for 50 years and seasoned with whatever oil was around - it's still nonstick and fine after 65 years of daily use. Kind of like good cast iron stuff without the weight

old onion

Post by old onion » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 am

lsboogy wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:22 pm
I've never used anything but butter and olive oil in my little mineral b crepe pan (I do two eggs) and it's as nonstick as anything after 40 years of hard duty. My latest (14" I think - huge pan) has only seen the potatoe skins/salt once, and olive oil and butter since. Both have been over anything from campfires to nice stoves, neither is anything but slippery as wet glass. The whole oil thing is hooey - my mom used hers for 50 years and seasoned with whatever oil was around - it's still nonstick and fine after 65 years of daily use. Kind of like good cast iron stuff without the weight
Actually,about the only oils I cook with are Virgin Olive oil or just plain butter myself. My wife is on the Canola oil kick but it's not bad. I think it has a higher smoke point. After cleaning with water,I put my pans on the stove and heat to dry them and then wipe them down with a thin layer of Olive oil and then hang them. If they have any food stuck on them,I just take the rough side of the sponge and lightly scrape,might even add a little salt if it gives me a problem. They never see Dawn soap,though I don't really think that would hurt either.Grandma,well,all she ever had was lard and butter and never seasoned her cast iron,just cooked in it,baked in it or whatever right up until the day she passed at 87.My Grandma raised ten kids so I imagine that somebody used soap on her precious pans.I wish I had her pans,I'll just bet you there were some Gisswalds among them.Mine are Lodge and Wagner's,got one Classic but know nothing about that one.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:32 pm

snipes wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:27 am
...I have the 8 1/2" incher for the same purpose. Three eggs in there, lid for 90 seconds. Perfect sunny side up.
My method exactly too.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Cutuu

Post by Cutuu » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:44 pm

lsboogy wrote:
Have you or any one else used one of these crepe pans for omelets? I have the same pan and haven't used it much. I also got a 11in newquist forge one at the house waiting for me. I haven't used it yet. The wife says it's pretty! But I would also like to get that crepe pan some more action, I m pretty sure it's being underused.

gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Speaking of hooey, I regularly clean my cast iron and carbon steel with soap (like any pan). All seasoning is still in good shape.

mauichef

Post by mauichef » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:45 pm

old onion wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 am
lsboogy wrote:
Actually,about the only oils I cook with are Virgin Olive oil or just plain butter myself. My wife is on the Canola oil kick but it's not bad. I think it has a higher smoke point. After cleaning with water,I put my pans on the stove and heat to dry them and then wipe them down with a thin layer of Olive oil and then hang them. If they have any food stuck on them,I just take the rough side of the sponge and lightly scrape,might even add a little salt if it gives me a problem. They never see Dawn soap,though I don't really think that would hurt either.Grandma,well,all she ever had was lard and butter and never seasoned her cast iron,just cooked in it,baked in it or whatever right up until the day she passed at 87.My Grandma raised ten kids so I imagine that somebody used soap on her precious pans.I wish I had her pans,I'll just bet you there were some Gisswalds among them.Mine are Lodge and Wagner's,got one Classic but know nothing about that one.
I don't really see the point of using Virgin Olive Oil for cooking. Regular is just fine IMO. The virgin comes out for finishing, dressings, dipping and uncooked sauces like a Rojo Sauce.

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:03 pm

Yes, my crepe pan has been used for omelettes, and it goes camping with me every time since I lived in Montana. Great old pan - light, works on campfire coals or any stove. Probably have some lamb chops tomorrow night and do eggs in it in the morning.

old onion

Post by old onion » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:57 pm

mauichef wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:45 pm
old onion wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 am
lsboogy wrote:
I don't really see the point of using Virgin Olive Oil for cooking. Regular is just fine IMO. The virgin comes out for finishing, dressings, dipping and uncooked sauces like a Rojo Sauce.
Yep,you are correct Ray.I never even gave it a thought.I never catch my wife when she goes to the store but she is the one who brings home all the good stuff.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:32 pm

gastro gnome wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:32 pm
Speaking of hooey, I regularly clean my cast iron and carbon steel with soap (like any pan). All seasoning is still in good shape.
Same here. It takes more to remove seasoning than soap.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Bensbites

Post by Bensbites » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:37 am

Jeff B wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:32 pm
gastro gnome wrote:
Agreed. Soap will not remove seasoning from the pan. Anything that comes off with soap, you don’t want there.

mauichef

Post by mauichef » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:03 pm

Bensbites wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:37 am
Jeff B wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:32 pm
gastro gnome wrote:
Agreed. Soap will not remove seasoning from the pan. Anything that comes off with soap, you don’t want there.
Oh really....and I thought those crusty black bits were flavor enhancers :o