Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
lsboogy

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by lsboogy »

I've got an old (60+ years) debuyer paella pan. It's huge and makes way more than two of us can eat, so I only use it a couple times a year. I think it's about 17 or 18 inches, and would make a large meal for 5. It has been used long enough that even the crusty bits come out with serving utensils. This make me think I should buy a smaller one to make dinner for two - last time I used the thing was camping with another couple this past summer. Paella is a great cool evening food - some good wine, a campfire .... You folk are making me salivate.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

lsboogy wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:19 pm I've got an old (60+ years) debuyer paella pan. It's huge and makes way more than two of us can eat, so I only use it a couple times a year. I think it's about 17 or 18 inches, and would make a large meal for 5. It has been used long enough that even the crusty bits come out with serving utensils. This make me think I should buy a smaller one to make dinner for two - last time I used the thing was camping with another couple this past summer. Paella is a great cool evening food - some good wine, a campfire .... You folk are making me salivate.
Oh boy! I can hear my in-laws now. (Its a lunch.) :lol: But you should see the size of the carbon paella pans they sell in "hardware" stores over there! The largest one my MIL has serves 20 people! Takes four to move it when full. :shock:
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I've got a classic 15-inch carbon paella pan with dimples I use a few times a year. Never had a problem with rice sticking after developing a soccarat. Cleans easily. Hardest part is storing it without rust being an issue even though I oil it.

Made this last month:

Pan below. I bought mine two decades ago.

https://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO- ... CbEALw_wcB
Jeffry B
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

That looks great, Jeffry! You are making me hungry...

As for rust, use it weekly and it won't have time to develop any major issues. :lol: Carbon paella pans are also great for making gambas al ajillo. Or Langoustine.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:04 am I've got a classic 15-inch carbon paella pan with dimples I use a few times a year. Never had a problem with rice sticking after developing a soccarat. Cleans easily. Hardest part is storing it without rust being an issue even though I oil it.
Damn that looks good. And what a deal on the pan. What's the story on the dimples?
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The dimples are supposed to spread heat evenly, though I originally thought they were there to prevent stickage.

For years the hardest part about making paella, to me, was finding bomba rice at a decent price. I've used other rices such as arborio or medium-grain white rice, but I got spoiled by my visits to Spain years ago (and again last year). I want bomba, and now it's super easy to find.
Jeffry B
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:34 am The dimples are supposed to spread heat evenly, though I originally thought they were there to prevent stickage.

For years the hardest part about making paella, to me, was finding bomba rice at a decent price. I've used other rices such as arborio or medium-grain white rice, but I got spoiled by my visits to Spain years ago (and again last year). I want bomba, and now it's super easy to find.
I'm intrigued - where DO you find that rice?
I've never seen it in my local Koger's, TJ's, Aldi, or Costco :\
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Altadan wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:45 am
jbart65 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:34 am The dimples are supposed to spread heat evenly, though I originally thought they were there to prevent stickage.

I'm intrigued - where DO you find that rice?
I've never seen it in my local Koger's, TJ's, Aldi, or Costco :\
Come on, Dan! You've never looked on Amazon!

I could find bomba in NYC years ago, but now it can be found lots of places online. Just got to look for a decent price.

Now I can get it at a local Spanish market. I also saw it recently in a local Sur La Table.

Keep in mind there are two grades of paella rice.

Bomba is the best. Very absorbent, though, so it's tricky to get the liquid part right using just any recipe. Bomba absorbs about three times as much water (1 cup bomba, 3 cups water or broth) vs 1-2 cups for most rices.

The lesser grade, but still quite good, is Calasparra. That's the region bomba comes from, but Calasparra is not quite as absorbent.
Jeffry B
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Got it :) I'll try it out later in March :)

Hmm.. I like to hear that about the absorption. I've had paella with jasmine and basmati - delicious, but you could tell something is not quite there yet with the fluids.
My most recent one was with calrose (American sushi rice), and... hmm.. come to think of it, that might be what's behind the strong stickage to the pan. That rice is super starchy, so maybe that's it.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Even with the Calaspara and Bomba rice brand will make a difference when absorption is considered. Not significantly but it will.

Speaking of the internet you can buy Ñora online now or maybe you always could but I recently found it. I like to use this in place of smoked paprika at times as it gives a more smokey yet deep flavor. Just a thought, if you are interested, give it a shot. I mean, I think it is used in paprika but if you grind your own it seems to make the flavor different. :)
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

We don't use no little pans here!

Sorry for the lousy photos....the sangria was flowing!

Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

mauichef wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:28 pm We don't use no little pans here!

Sorry for the lousy photos....the sangria was flowing!

Now that's a paella pan!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

There’s a lot of money in that dish!
Jeffry B
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

A lot of mouths to feed :lol:

Very nice indeed!
I can almost taste a "Paella Pan" thread coming up soon...
This thing may as well be in the general discussion, no? We're up to 30 pages of this thing :P
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Well, my paella pan is carbon. So is Maui’s. ;)
Jeffry B
old onion

Post by old onion »

Altadan wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:36 pm A lot of mouths to feed :lol:

Very nice indeed!
I can almost taste a "Paella Pan" thread coming up soon...
This thing may as well be in the general discussion, no? We're up to 30 pages of this thing :P
Amazing isn't it that this thread has gone this long,noting wrong with that but don't blame us if CKTG turns into CPTG. :lol:
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:54 pm Well, my paella pan is carbon. So is Maui’s. ;)
Carbon here as well. Not only is my paella pan carbon but was my first carbon steel pan entirely. Well, not this particular one but the one I had in Spain. I mean, we are still talking carbon pans. :D

Speaking of which, I do miss being able to go to any "hardware store" and you can buy carbon steel pans of many shapes and sizes. I don't know if it is a Spanish thing, an Alicante thing or a European thing but carbon steel was everywhere. Here, nowhere to be found. (That could just be my area.) :lol: Hell you could even get them in their version of a dollar store... However the odd thing is that as much carbon steel pans as I saw I knew very few people that actually owned any, my mother-in-law aside. Many if not most people I knew used a stainless paella pan and non stick everything else. Enamel coated carbon was common too.
slobound

Post by slobound »

mauichef wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:21 pm
slobound wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:00 pm
mauichef wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:57 pm My "collection"...so far!

Absolutely love the Shiba pan.
Ray, have you used the Shiba pan yet? Thoughts???
Garrick...yes indeed. In fact it is my daily go to pan now. I rarely use another.
I really like my DeBuyer pans but this one just ticks all the boxes for me.

It is much lighter than other carbons due to the thinner sides and those sides are not as tall as most other pans. So unless you are cooking larger volumes it is much easier to maneuver the ingredients.
The pan seasoned up super quickly and has held the seasoning with no effort.
I use chainmail on it when the going gets tough but in most instances a paper towel is all the cleaning it needs.

At first I was concerned about the handle shape but it is very comfortable and secure feeling, plus it does not get too hot when cooking regular stuff.

Of course the design is what captivated me to begin with.
It is drop dead gorgeous! I just wish i had taken some glamor shots before I seasoned it. It is that pretty.
It's funny because when I first saw it I thought it could have been a creation from Porsche Design. It had that look.
So I was not surprised to read that Shiba had in fact designed the handle based on his Porsche 911.

Originally this was a purchase I made with some reservations, mainly price related. But 4 months later, I can say unequivocally that it was money very well spent.
Very highly recommended to any pan nut or chef looking for something extra special in the kitchen.
I knew I was going to have a love/hate relationship with your response, Ray! Now a Shiba pan is on the radar :lol:
-- Garrick
slobound

Post by slobound »

My paella pan was my second carbon pan. The first was my wok. Definitely enjoy making & eating paella! I usually use bomba rice but if I can’t find it locally, then I’ll sub with arborio.

-- Garrick
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

slobound wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:48 pm My paella pan was my second carbon pan. The first was my wok. Definitely enjoy making & eating paella! I usually use bomba rice but if I can’t find it locally, then I’ll sub with arborio.

A treat to the eyes :)