Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
lsboogy

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by lsboogy »

My carbon steel pans vary from 5-70 years old (at least) and none of them have any sticking problems. Once they get black (black, not splotchy) they are non-stick. I cook with any oil (butter, ghee, fat from an elk) and they have no problems. I think we overthink things - carbon steel pans have been used in every kitchen in France and Italy for hundreds of years with little knowledge of things except what gets passed down - don't use soap, oil them after scrubbing, and they will serve your grandkids well. Mine are nonstick if I keep acids out and scrub them with salt and oil them after use. Been cooking with them on campfires for almost 40 years - nothing changes except time - my crepe pan has been the only fry pan on too many adventures and never has anything stuck or burned on - hot pan, cold oil.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Cutuu wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:05 pm
old onion wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:19 am
Cutuu wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:31 am Onion why don't you just do the method I talked about? I have a mafter and it's fantastic.
Run your method by me one more time.I search but can't find your recommendation other then seasoning like I did with my Woks,by lots of heat and turning them blue over a turkey fryer then adding oil,peanut oil in my case,with ginger root and green onions and then moved them around with a wooden spatula until they charred black.That worked great for the Woks. Is that what you mean?
Somewhat similar to what you are doing with the wok. But I don't stir fry anything. I've done it two ways: wipe the thinnest coat of oil on the pan and literally put it on a glass. After the bottom blues or blackens, I start turning it on it's sides on high heat until it blues or black. I've also dry heated it for a long time and pour oil in it. I've done it more with the first method, but I've seen a video that leads me to believe second method if done properly could even be better.
I believe I seen that video also. I might try that when given the chance to go outside where the smoke can escape into the unknown. I think I have tried everything else but.
old onion

Post by old onion »

lsboogy wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:42 pm My carbon steel pans vary from 5-70 years old (at least) and none of them have any sticking problems. Once they get black (black, not splotchy) they are non-stick. I cook with any oil (butter, ghee, fat from an elk) and they have no problems. I think we overthink things - carbon steel pans have been used in every kitchen in France and Italy for hundreds of years with little knowledge of things except what gets passed down - don't use soap, oil them after scrubbing, and they will serve your grandkids well. Mine are nonstick if I keep acids out and scrub them with salt and oil them after use. Been cooking with them on campfires for almost 40 years - nothing changes except time - my crepe pan has been the only fry pan on too many adventures and never has anything stuck or burned on - hot pan, cold oil.
I'm afraid I don't have 70 years left to try your method.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:22 pm I usually scour with rock salt. It it does not come out with that then I leave it.
This is pretty much what I do as well. When I'm done using the pan and that session ended up with gunk stuck to the bottom (usually my bigger pan where I sear things), I sprinkle kosher salt on the bottom while it's still warm and grease still in it. I then swirl the salt around with a rubber spatula and use the salt as an abrasive to remove the built up grime. Then clean it all out once dinner is done and the pan is back to being slick as a baby's bottom again.

Here is this morning's eggs. No sticking again.

Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Drewski wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:23 pm
old onion wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:16 pm Sounds like the burnt raised black stuff is stuck food that has turned into carbon.
Ya I'm suspecting so. Doesn't come off with a scrub brush and hot water. Scrape this off cold or while cooking, or makes no difference?
I usually get at the rough spots with a wooden spatula. Very rarely I will resort to a rather abrasive scrubber I've got on hand, or a not-too-abrasive steel wool. The wood is great, though.
The smooth stuff, as Blunoser87 says, is the best part :) +1 on that
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Gentlemen,

Does anyone here use their pans for Paellas?
I believe paella pans are traditionally also carbon steel pans, and I was very close to trying one this weekend, but chickened out for two reasons;
1. There's a little tomato involved in Paella (i.e., acid)
2. I'm pretty good at getting a perfect crusty layer on the bottom of the rice, but I'm scared to overdue it on the debuyer, and end up having to shoot my pan with a Gatling gun...

Any tips before I try it?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
old onion

Post by old onion »

Altadan wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:43 am Gentlemen,

Does anyone here use their pans for Paellas?
I believe paella pans are traditionally also carbon steel pans, and I was very close to trying one this weekend, but chickened out for two reasons;
1. There's a little tomato involved in Paella (i.e., acid)
2. I'm pretty good at getting a perfect crusty layer on the bottom of the rice, but I'm scared to overdue it on the debuyer, and end up having to shoot my pan with a Gatling gun...

Any tips before I try it?
Yes,just one tip.Use enough smokeless powder and a big bullet. :D
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I have 2 Paella pans, both carbon, one large (30" and only a few years old) and one smaller - maybe 18"

they have been used and abused and work well - if you get them well seasoned and re-season after acid, they will last a lifetime

But I think this spring I may have to take onion's advice with a few items - nothing like a 45-70 hot load hunting an old broken pan
old onion

Post by old onion »

lsboogy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:12 pm I have 2 Paella pans, both carbon, one large (30" and only a few years old) and one smaller - maybe 18"

they have been used and abused and work well - if you get them well seasoned and re-season after acid, they will last a lifetime

But I think this spring I may have to take onion's advice with a few items - nothing like a 45-70 hot load hunting an old broken pan
See,now that where you need a big ol heavy cast bullet of maybe 12 bhn so they don't bounce back at ya but just keep right on a goin through that tough ol pan.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

lsboogy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:12 pm I have 2 Paella pans, both carbon, one large (30" and only a few years old) and one smaller - maybe 18"

On a similar but different note - does white wine strip seasoning?
I seem to recall reading that somewhere, but I can't imagine why :roll:
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Well, apparently white wine does strip.
Which means, I suppose, it's on the acidic side of the Ph scale :?

Now to rebuild...
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Altadan wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:32 pm Well, apparently white wine does strip.

Now to rebuild...
Good to know...
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Altadan wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:32 pm Well, apparently white wine does strip.

Now to rebuild...
Ya, red and white are both in pH range 3-4. Whites are often more fruit forward or sweeter, but the acidity is indeed still there.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Scoured my country pan with dry salt (after getting it a bit hot). Definitely got a fair bit of black buildup off the pan. You can see how grey the salt turned compared to the fresh bit of salt at the back of the pan. Thanks for the advice all!
20190107_190007.jpg
Before pic, showing the residue:
20181229_154008.jpg
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Said it before but I'll say it again: chain mail scrubby thing gets off most gunk (including excess oil buildup) but doesn't raze your seasoning like steel wool. I've used salt and this workscs well if not better for hard to remove stuff.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Drewski wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:19 pm Scoured my country pan with dry salt (after getting it a bit hot). Definitely got a fair bit of black buildup off the pan. You can see how grey the salt turned compared to the fresh bit of salt at the back of the pan. Thanks for the advice all!
20190107_190007.jpg
Before pic, showing the residue:
20181229_154008.jpg
I sometimes use the oil and salt method of cleaning the pan but it sure is a waste of a lot of good Kosher salt and oil,non of which is cheap.Even a good chain mail will go in the neighborhood of 20 bucks.I find that using the rough side of a sponge and very hot water does well and if that don't do it then either the chain mail or the stainless steel pot cleaner goes to work.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Almost 500 posts on carbon pans. Who would’ve thought...
old onion

Post by old onion »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 am Almost 500 posts on carbon pans. Who would’ve thought...
Hang in there.There will be more.That's what we are all here for.Who wants knives anyhow ? :lol:
gladius

Post by gladius »

I bought a Matfer soon after I saw this post - how could I go wrong it's only 20 bucks. It has been a fantastic pan and like it better than my DeBuyers. I lightly coated with lard, seasoned stovetop and simply started using it. Clean it with hot water and chainmail.

old onion

Post by old onion »

gladius wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:02 pm I bought a Matfer soon after I saw this post - how could I go wrong it's only 20 bucks. It has been a fantastic pan and like it better than my DeBuyers. I lightly coated with lard, seasoned stovetop and simply started using it. Clean it with hot water and chainmail.

Yep'r,that's exactly how I do it.I have my hot water tank piping hot,so hot you can't hold your finger there at all.It comes out steaming so that and a chain mail and a wooded spatula to move the chain mail around with,it's a done deal.If there is any grease in the pan before hand,I heat it up and dump it outside for the coyotes.