Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
Altadan

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by Altadan »

:o :shock: :o :shock: :shock: Good luck indeed!
Thanks, Rick!

If ALL else fails, I will most certainly turn this suggested path!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

I’ve been watching this thread for a while and trying to resist but I don’t think I can any longer. I have a 12” all-clad copper core, 12” lodge cast iron skillet, and 14” cheapo wok that I use for almost everything. I have smaller pans but rarely use them. I notice none of you guys seem to be going for the 14” pans. Any particular reason? Is it the weight? I’ve found my 12” pans too small in some instances so I’m just about to pull the trigger on a 14” carbon fry pan.

Also, after reading through all this it sounds like the only major difference between the Matfer and mineral-b is how the handle is attached. Anything else I’m missing here?
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:16 pm I’ve been watching this thread for a while and trying to resist but I don’t think I can any longer. I have a 12” all-clad copper core, 12” lodge cast iron skillet, and 14” cheapo wok that I use for almost everything. I have smaller pans but rarely use them. I notice none of you guys seem to be going for the 14” pans. Any particular reason? Is it the weight? I’ve found my 12” pans too small in some instances so I’m just about to pull the trigger on a 14” carbon fry pan.

Also, after reading through all this it sounds like the only major difference between the Matfer and mineral-b is how the handle is attached. Anything else I’m missing here?
I just got my 14" Mineral B and 9.5" Mauviel crepe pan tonight. The 14" is a very nice size IMO, with a 10.5" cooking surface.
20181105_164532.jpg
For the crepe pan, I did one round of seasoning, this time in the oven, at 450 for 2 hrs with canola oil. Looks a bit drippy but feels very smooth. Will do a second round of seasoning like this. See how it holds up.
20181105_162333.jpg
20181105_204437.jpg
20181105_204548.jpg
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:16 pm I’ve been watching this thread for a while and trying to resist but I don’t think I can any longer. I have a 12” all-clad copper core, 12” lodge cast iron skillet, and 14” cheapo wok that I use for almost everything. I have smaller pans but rarely use them. I notice none of you guys seem to be going for the 14” pans. Any particular reason? Is it the weight? I’ve found my 12” pans too small in some instances so I’m just about to pull the trigger on a 14” carbon fry pan.

I've wanted a 15in. Carbon steel pan. It's high temps n the list and will hopefully happen soon, just a 💰 thing now.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Generally when I opt for something big, I use my All-Clad 6 qt saute, which I love. Hard to beat that level of surface area in any other pan. For how I cook, I haven't needed a cast iron/carbon steel pan larger than my Lodge 12" cast iron skillet. Although I now have enough carbon steel and cast iron that if I occasionally did need a bit more cooking room, I could just pull out another, smaller cast iron/carbon steel on a second burner.
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

If you plan on using the oven method to season the pan, I would skip the mineral b. It has a coating on the handle (silicon I believe) that is ment to help with reducing the heat transfer to the handle. If you season using the oven method it will start to drip and run. Also, the ball in the whole.in the handle will melt. The other difference is the rivets on the inside of the pan are not ground flat.

There are ways to protect the handle in the oven if you feel the mineral b is a better fit or you can remove the handle coating before putting it in the oven.

jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Finally seasoned my new Matfer and took it for a spin. Up first: Pan-seared salmon. Crust came out great. Definitely faster than cast iron and better heat control. The fish didn't stick at all. Good start.

By and large I prefer pans no larger than 12-inches for better control, but I do own All Clad 14-inch skillet (sloping sides) that I use semi-regularly.

Great for crowds or cooking a bunch of chicken cutlets if I plan for leftovers. Really speeds up the cooking and maintains even heat for its size on a good stove.

Aside from that, I haven't needed anything bigger than a 12-inch pan. I use two 12-inch pans in most cases. Steaks in particular seem to do better on my 12-inch All-Clad vs the 14-inch, though I typically use cast iron.

As it is, I probably have too many saute/skillet type pans just cooking for just 2-3 people. I've got :

*10-, 12- and 14-inch All-Clad skillets (sloping sides)
*12-inch All-Clad saute pan (flat sides)
*All-Clad 4 qt "Weeknight" pan (cross between a skillet and braiser)
*10- and 12-inch cast iron pans
*12-inch carbon pan.

That said ... I use them all fairly regularly!
Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

After using my Matfer for the first time, I did have an idle thought: Why would I still use my 12-inch cast iron skillet if the carbon pan was better overall?

Question for those who have used both for a long time. What advantage does cast iron have over carbon? I can see the benefits of cast iron for deep frying, but for pan searing?
Jeffry B
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:54 am After using my Matfer for the first time, I did have an idle thought: Why would I still use my 12-inch cast iron skillet if the carbon pan was better overall?

Question for those who have used both for a long time. What advantage does cast iron have over carbon? I can see the benefits of cast iron for deep frying, but for pan searing?
Well, this is part of why I’m thinking a 14” pan would be something different. I use my 12” cast iron and all-clad all the time and don’t really want to get something that would replace either of them.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

OgerBash wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:35 am If you plan on using the oven method to season the pan, I would skip the mineral b. It has a coating on the handle (silicon I believe) that is ment to help with reducing the heat transfer to the handle. If you season using the oven method it will start to drip and run. Also, the ball in the whole.in the handle will melt. The other difference is the rivets on the inside of the pan are not ground flat.

There are ways to protect the handle in the oven if you feel the mineral b is a better fit or you can remove the handle coating before putting it in the oven.
Interesting. I must’ve missed that about the handle on the mineral b. Is that an issue for general oven use too (broiling, etc) or just the oven seasoning? I could get around oven seasoning but if this doesn’t work well for broiling that’s a nonstarter for me.

Is the protective finish on the matfer as much of a pain to get off as it sounds?
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:09 am
OgerBash wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:35 am If you plan on using the oven method to season the pan, I would skip the mineral b. It has a coating on the handle (silicon I believe) that is ment to help with reducing the heat transfer to the handle. If you season using the oven method it will start to drip and run. Also, the ball in the whole.in the handle will melt. The other difference is the rivets on the inside of the pan are not ground flat.

Interesting. I must’ve missed that about the handle on the mineral b. Is that an issue for general oven use too (broiling, etc) or just the oven seasoning? I could get around oven seasoning but if this doesn’t work well for broiling that’s a nonstarter for me.

Is the protective finish on the matfer as much of a pain to get off as it sounds?
I've only seen very tiny flakes coming off that Mineral-B handle, and that's after about 8 rounds of 500F in the over. It seems perfectly fine, and not giving any issues.
I believe I could easily scrape it off if I wanted to. In my case, I'm using one of those lodge silicone handle-covers anyway. It makes the handling much easier.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:54 am After using my Matfer for the first time, I did have an idle thought: Why would I still use my 12-inch cast iron skillet if the carbon pan was better overall?

There are occasions I use my CI over the CS. The CI having more thermal mass, I use it for something like cornbread. Preheat the pan, better crust browning. Additionally, I like the shape of my lodge CI skillets for deep dish pizza. Finally the shorter handles fit on lu grill better when I don’t use the CI griddle.

There are times you want more thermal mass and less heat control.
old onion

Post by old onion »

No more then Debuyer or Mauviel.The beeswax coating they all use will require some elbow grease to remove but the way I removed it was by pouring boiling water several times over the pan while it was resting in a container in the sink.I wiped off all that I could then put the pan in the oven upside down at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes,removed and then more boiling water and scrubbing till I was sure it was all off.I don't think you will be sure if it is all off or not either.I went with instinct.I then used the salt,oil and potato skin method of seasoning because it is my understanding that the process helps remove any unwanted beeswax.
There are so many views on how to remove the beeswax that I really don't know the best way or the fastest.And to top it off,Debuyer says that their beeswax aids in seasoning.Now you can be as confused as I am. :?
old onion

Post by old onion »

Bensbites wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:45 am

There are occasions I use my CI over the CS. The CI having more thermal mass, I use it for something like cornbread. Preheat the pan, better crust browning. Additionally, I like the shape of my lodge CI skillets for deep dish pizza. Finally the shorter handles fit on lu grill better when I don’t use the CI griddle.

I will never,ever get rid of my Cast Iron pans.Cornbread and a good seared steak and Salmon is where a few of mine excel.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Bensbites wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:45 am

I use my cast iron on the bbq for mussels, nice fit with such a short handle. And I've also used it for cornbread.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

old onion wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:00 am

No more then Debuyer or Mauviel.The beeswax coating they all use will require some elbow grease to remove but the way I removed it was by pouring boiling water several times over the pan while it was resting in a container in the sink.I wiped off all that I could then put the pan in the oven upside down at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes,removed and then more boiling water and scrubbing till I was sure it was all off.I don't think you will be sure if it is all off or not either.I went with instinct.I then used the salt,oil and potato skin method of seasoning because it is my understanding that the process helps remove any unwanted beeswax.
There are so many views on how to remove the beeswax that I really don't know the best way or the fastest.And to top it off,Debuyer says that their beeswax aids in seasoning.Now you can be as confused as I am. :?
Yesterday while removing the wax from my Mauviel, I found that dish soap went a long way to coax off the wax, with hot water and a scrub brush.
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

When I first got my mineral b I had read somewhere that there was a special coating of something on the handle of the mineral b line that was more difficult than the regular coating on the rest of the pan.

I can say it is definently different than the coat on the mauviel that is sitting next to.it waiting to be seasoned. The coating on the handle of the mauviel is the same as on the rest of the pan. While the mineral b's handle feels thicker. It wasn't a factor for me since I had a gas range available at the time, and it seems easier to me to season on a gas range rather than in the oven. I've seasoned a pan both ways. My family seems to steal all my 12" lodge pans once I get them good and seasoned. In fact I need to make a few batches of mirepox to season the newest on bit after the mauviel.
old onion wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:00 am

Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

It looks like the 14” matfer doesn’t have the extra helper handle while the mineral b does
gladius

Post by gladius »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:38 pm It looks like the 14” matfer doesn’t have the extra helper handle while the mineral b does
---
Is that because of the weight difference?
old onion

Post by old onion »

gladius wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:15 pm
Bluenoser87 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:38 pm It looks like the 14” matfer doesn’t have the extra helper handle while the mineral b does
---
Is that because of the weight difference?
I don't think so but not sure.I think it is just an added benefit to having a Debuyer in that size.I have a few Debuyers and Matfers and the weight and thickness seem the same.Both are pretty beefy. I like the helper handle on my 12-1/2" Debuyer. My 11-7/8" Matfer does not and sometimes I wish it did.