Carbon Skillets

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
Drewski

Re: Carbon Skillets

Post by Drewski »

gladius wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:02 pm I bought a Matfer soon after I saw this post - how could I go wrong it's only 20 bucks. It has been a fantastic pan and like it better than my DeBuyers. I lightly coated with lard, seasoned stovetop and simply started using it. Clean it with hot water and chainmail.
That chainmail is sexy. What about it do you like better than DeBuyers?
gladius

Post by gladius »

Drewski wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:04 pm
—-
It reacts to heat quicker probably due to the thinner lighter gauge steel, lighter and easier to handle, has developed a nicer more uniform seasoning (see my ugly DeBuyers viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7609&p=71496&hilit=Ugly#p71496), less sticking and easier cleanup and the welded flush handle instead of rivets.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

gladius wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:47 pm
Drewski wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:04 pm
—-
It reacts to heat quicker probably due to the thinner lighter gauge steel, lighter and easier to handle, has developed a nicer more uniform seasoning (see my ugly DeBuyers http://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=7609&p=71496&hilit=Ugly#p71496), less sticking and easier cleanup and the welded flush handle instead of rivets.
I see where you're coming from. That really is an ugly pan, man :\ It looks more like rust than anything I'd wanna cook on.

I'm finding that the most basic potato-peel-to-regular-use method works fine, but
If I'm allowed just one more go at the easy-to-do-at-home seasoning method... and if you want to add some nice aesthetics to your pan, then you may consider (in your case, perhaps stripping first):
1) preheating an oven to 200,
2) warming the pan for a short while
3) coating the whole pan (not handle) with a very thin layer of whatever (1-2 drops of avocado, grapeseed, flax... I used the latter)
4) IMPORTANT - use another paper towel to remove/soak up oil from the whole pan [this leaves a super thin layer]
5) back in the oven, and raise to 500-550, for one hour
6) after one hour, shut down, and leave to cool for two hours.
RESULT: gorgeous dark pan. The cooking-surface will fluctuate with normal use, but the rims and outside will be nice and dark.

The debuyer has both a "regular-use" and a treatment I gave it when I got it. The last photo shows another darker layer I added this week after cooking with white wine...
The Matfer shows both the initial layer, and then what it looks like now with use
Capture333.JPG
Capture111.JPG
Capture222.JPG
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Has anyone had a chance to use the Shibata pan? I see they are back in stock, but I'm guessing there's less than a handful floating around out there at the moment.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Drewski wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:52 am Has anyone had a chance to use the Shibata pan? I see they are back in stock, but I'm guessing there's less than a handful floating around out there at the moment.
Didn't Maui get one? Haven't seen him post much the past week or so, perhaps he's on vacation. You know someplace tropical with a beach and hula girls.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Drewski wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:52 am Has anyone had a chance to use the Shibata pan? I see they are back in stock, but I'm guessing there's less than a handful floating around out there at the moment.
Jakkonoise on Instagram loves his.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Turns out my mom just helped my neice get a new debuyer pan (mom bought it for her earlier in the day) through it initial seasoning on Sunday (yesterday). Mom used her old method - potato skins, oil, and salt in new pan on medium heat till the potato skins were well browned, a rinse with hot water, and .... she coated the thing with crisco (liberal coating) and put It in the oven at 375F for an hour and wiped it down well with paper towels.

Neice called me tonight and said her pan is a non-stick thing already. She used it to do eggs this morning, and cooked dinner with it (and the knife I gave her) tonight for herself and SO - she thanked me for the knife and told me she knows why I use my old carbon pans. She also got the lesson from my mom about using only salt to clean it. I think I know why my pans work so well.
slobound

Post by slobound »

Alright, I’ve added a little Mafter pan to my arsenal. Seasoned up with crisbee swipe for 3 rounds in the oven. Made a grilled cheese this morning and an egg after. Just the faintest bit of stiction on the egg. Pretty happy with the results so far. If it wasn’t raining, I’d take some pics of the seasoning.
-- Garrick
snipes

Post by snipes »

bump. : ) I am getting withdrawal symptoms not seeing any new posts for five days in this thread.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Figured I'd add another egg picture...just because. Streak continues. In the spirit of 100% transparency I had the smallest amount of sticking this morning on one teeny tiney edge that I had to nudge loose. Otherwise no sticking yet again. Been using about a teaspoon of room temp stick butter lately.

jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

No pictures, sorry.

I've had my 12-inch Matfer for three months. It has quickly become my main pan. I use it every day. Cook mushrooms and onions yesterday. Got good sear and crispiness and nothing stuck. Very easy to clean. I usually oil lightly after each use, but even when I don't, no problem.

Great pan. I'm not using my 12-inch All-clad all that much anymore.
Jeffry B
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

snipes wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:40 am bump. : ) I am getting withdrawal symptoms not seeing any new posts for five days in this thread.
I have been in a tartine bread cookbook kick this week. Tartine bakes French toast and tartine meatballs.

Enjoy

snipes

Post by snipes »

Wow Ben. Those pics take me to my happy place. Looks delicious.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

snipes wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:42 am Wow Ben. Those pics take me to my happy place. Looks delicious.
Thank you. My family ate well this week!
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

I've had a good experience with my Darto pan thus far. Seems more nonstick than my small Matfer in its current state (although that pan has not given me a many problems). The scratch on the cooking surface that I discovered upon arrival has not impacted performance.

Darto had a liquidation sale for seconds yesterday and almost everything sold quickly. The 27 cm pan is the only one still left. They refer to it as a 2nd because they inadvertently made this one 4 mm thick on the bottom instead of 3. They won't be making a pan with this thickness again. They also recently raised their prices which are now pretty much on par with Solidtecnik. If I was looking to buy another one-piece construction pan in this price range, I'd probably go with Solidtecnik given the fact that it is more likely to come with proper packaging (at least a plastic bag around the pan) and would probably have better (or at least English-speaking) customer service.

All that being said, the early results have been good with the pan I received.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Hmm Ben you got me hungry for some potatoes (and peppers and onions).
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Wasn't sure if I should add this to the onion thread or the what did you cook today thread but I'm throwing it here. More French onion soup. Didn't have enough heavy ceramic bowls, so I had to use Corelle. I didn't trust using them under a broiler so I melted the emmental with a blow torch (anyone know if Corelle will withstand broiler level heat? Online it says up to 350). Forgot to get a pic of the finished product but it turned out great.
Attachments
20190119_170426.jpg
20190119_142824.jpg
snipes

Post by snipes »

One of these days I need to try my hand at French Onion. It's far and away my favorite soup. Killing me with no finished product pic on this cold sunny morning.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

This whole thread is "happy place" in my book :)

My wife keeps flipping those Rösti potato cakes, and their quick disappearances are a testament of the superior crusts the 12.5 B-Min gives them.
How she flips a 1lbs Rösti from within a 6lbs pan befuddles me. The Swiss are proud folk, I guess :mrgreen:
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

snipes wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:41 am One of these days I need to try my hand at French Onion. It's far and away my favorite soup.
Go for it! I just made a batch following Bruno Albouze's recipe. It took a few days, but the results were out of this world!