What did you cook today?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Jeff B

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by Jeff B »

Danzo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:25 pm Cooked my first pie the other day for dinner with the folks. Fresh pear filling. More experimenting to do to get the bottom crust crispier. I never worked pastry so this is an unknown field for me. That’s one cluttered counter!

B9147E28-9260-4EE2-B1D2-E800063F6879.jpeg
That looks sooo gooood! And yes, that’s one cluttered counter! :P
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

This pig roast was last weekend for a friend's wedding. They raised the pig themselves all season. They planned to but then didn't have the heart to butcher it themselves but still helped out. I got in on cutting it up once it was cooked for 14 hours. Tons of fun but I know I did a poor job, but that didn't matter cause it was just getting chopped up anyway. Used a stiff Mac boning knife while working on the animal.
Attachments
image1.jpeg
20190921_170141.jpg
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Drewski wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:13 pm This pig roast was last weekend for a friend's wedding. They raised the pig themselves all season. They planned to but then didn't have the heart to butcher it themselves but still helped out. I got in on cutting it up once it was cooked for 14 hours. Tons of fun but I know I did a poor job, but that didn't matter cause it was just getting chopped up anyway. Used a stiff Mac boning knife while working on the animal.
Beautiful . . . but f*ck that rain! I hope it didn't dampen (yes, pun intended) the fun.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Carter

Post by Carter »

A nice Southern Sunday night dinner, ham with red-eye gravy, eggs, corn two ways - Geechie Boy Mill Blue Grits and Blade And Bow Bourbon.

Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Made some pork belly tonight. First time using this method: braised in Dutch oven at 250F for 3 hours skin side up, then pierced the skin all over with toothpicks. Then took out, let cool for an hour or two. Then heated a large pan with about 5mm of oil in it, put the belly strip in the pan skin side down. Fried for a put 25 minutes. Oil temp started around 250 then got up to around 380 at one point and I turned it down to around 340. Was monitoring that with a Thermapen. I was surprised that the skin was slightly stuck to the bottom of the pan at the end of the frying. Anyway, it was really good but the skin wasn't what I was expecting. Rather than a thick crunchy layer, it was almost falling apart crispy. Not burned tasting or smelling though. Kinda hard to describe. Can any more experienced chefs comment on where I went wrong in the attempt to crisp the skin in oil? Much obliged.
Attachments
20191103_192820.jpg
20191103_190431.jpg
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

Believe it or not, if you add water, just spritz it, say a tablespoon at a time every 3-4 minutes or so in a covered pan, that skin will crisp right up.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Rufus Leaking wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:04 pm Believe it or not, if you add water, just spritz it, say a tablespoon at a time every 3-4 minutes or so in a covered pan, that skin will crisp right up.
So no oil? How hot do you want the pan? Do you add more water when it's almost gone? How long approximately until you get crispy skin? Cheers!
timos

Post by timos »

posted this on IG but figure id share here ... they were good just like the ones downtown ...lol
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Comfort food, nice!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Made some Rachel's for lunch today.
IMG_2789.JPG

What is it and how do you make one?

About 1/4 lb very thinly sliced corned beef added to rye with thousand island dressing on both sides, and some coleslaw on one side. Swiss can go with this but isnt traditional.
Basic thousand island dressing is 3 parts mayo to one part ketchup with sweet pickle relish added to taste.
Had this for the first time in Philly when i was a teen. Coleslaw gives it some texture and of course fresh rye would be better but this Oroweat sour rye is my fav.
Attachments
IMG_3182.JPG
IMG_3184.JPG
IMG_3186.JPG
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Back in the snow and missing island life so we made a nod to a little hula pork this week. I had my camera laying on the kitchen table from the trip yet, sooo a Kono vanity shot, ha.

I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
timos

Post by timos »

wow, that is a hell of a photo, nice!!
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Beautiful shot Dave and WOW what a patina!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I didnt take photos. I was so busy with a big crowd. But I brined and butterflied a pair of boneless turkey breasts, rolled them and stuffed them with a cornbread-apple- bacon stuffing. Basted with butter.

Best Thanksgiving centerpiece I’ve ever done.

Sides: jalapeño cheddar mashed potatoes, orange juice and honey glazed carrots, roasted broccoli with breadcrumb-lemon peel-parm topping, sweeties.

Appetizers: homemade pimento cheese, ibérico ham on garlic toasts with heirloom tomato purée.

Desserts: pumpkin pie, apple crisp with oatmeal topping.
Jeffry B
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:58 pm I didnt take photos. I was so busy with a big crowd. But I brined and butterflied a pair of boneless turkey breasts, rolled them and stuffed them with a cornbread-apple- bacon stuffing. Basted with butter.

Best Thanksgiving centerpiece I’ve ever done.

Sides: jalapeño cheddar mashed potatoes, orange juice and honey glazed carrots, roasted broccoli with breadcrumb-lemon peel-parm topping, sweeties.

Appetizers: homemade pimento cheese, ibérico ham on garlic toasts with heirloom tomato purée.

Desserts: pumpkin pie, apple crisp with oatmeal topping.
Sounds just awesome. 👏👏
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Turns out i had leftovers. my wife packed them when i was busy. turkey was cold when i toom a pic, but still looks pretty good.

Jeffry B
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

One item for an upcoming party we're hosting, cold-smoked salmon, which I cured for about 30 hours before smoking . . .

Sophisticated Cold-Smoker :lol:

Repurposed and jerry rigged stainless smoker box burning straight apple wood.

Four finished sides
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
atang

Post by atang »

Strawberry scones!
Attachments
69A4BF17-265A-487F-94CA-A548560A4432.jpeg
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

👍👍
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Rommegrot

Traditional Norse cream pudding. Quart of cream boiled till fish eyes stage, add 4tbs flour, reduce heat and cook till butter comes to the top. Pull off butter, add a tbs sugar, 2 more flour, good pics of salt, and quart of scalded milk. Stir and out I. A glass bowl. Tradition is to leave a bowl for Nissa in the barn loft. We will all have a bit tonight, and then I have the breakfast of the long oarsmen this week