Ideal traveling kit

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
jbart65

Re: Ideal traveling kit

Post by jbart65 »

Yeah, but it’s mix and match. I won’t bring everything all the time. And the Nuba I’ll use for sharpening the knives of those who live around me.

When I visit my brother in Charleston, I’ll bring the 4K because I gifted him a Tetsuhiro AS. But my sister in Boston has German knives and a Vic that i gifted her. No need for anything over 1-2k.

Funny. I - we -spend the money on stones to sharpen other people’s knives. Both altruistic and selfish. We want to spread the gospel of sharp knives and do favors for friends and family ... but we also want practice and muscle memory too! (-:
Jeffry B
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

jbart65 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:47 pm
Funny. I - we -spend the money on stones to sharpen other people’s knives. Both altruistic and selfish. We want to spread the gospel of sharp knives and do favors for friends and family ... but we also want practice and muscle memory too! (-:
Absolutely! Some of the best therapy is my stone time, very enjoyable.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I sharpen more for family and friends than I do for myself... :?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:10 pm I sharpen more for family and friends than I do for myself... :?
Once they saw how sharp my knives were, the request came to sharpen theirs 😀.

My knives just need a touch up. Oh boy not true on my tigers knives. Takes significantly longer but I do enjoy it and love their expressions when they use them.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Started putting together my travel kit. Got some stuff that will be under the tree, but I bought a Nubatama 120/1200 combo stone from Ken to pair with an unused Nubatama Ume speckled 2000 I picked up a few years ago on CKTG closeout.

Turns out that is a great combination itself for German knives. One of my projects is converting a set of old Forchner part-serrated steak knives into fully non-serrated blades.

Took the serrations out with a 140 Atoma, but then set the bevel with the 120. Very fast. The 1200 gave the Forchner I did today an edge good enough to slice tomatoes paper thin and the 2000 Ume allowed the steak knife to do the grape trick.

I then used the 120 to set the bevel on a knife I was having problems with. Burr in 30 seconds, edge how I like it. A few minutes on the 1200, less than a minute on the Ume 2000 and a final set of swipes on a Nubatama bamboo 6000 and I got the best edge yet on this particular knife. See-thru radish slices and plenty of bite left.

Used the same four stones on a Dojo 90 AS mm petty whose OTB edge disappointed me. Super sharp now and easily outperforming my Wusthof parer. That wasn’t the case at first.

Going to be interesting to see how my incoming SPs stack up.
Jeffry B
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Jeff,
Thanks for including the review on the 150/1200! It really is a great stone to get things going especially on those rough 'knives from hell' that could use a quick touchup.

---
Ken