Moribashi Pointers

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Altadan

Moribashi Pointers

Post by Altadan »

My wife surprised me with a pair of 180mm Moribashi for our six-year anniversary.
I spoke of these in the past, thinking they were cool. Well, they're even cooler in person!
That being said, I now realize their added (front) weight makes using these much harder than a standard pair of chopsticks.

Any tips and pointers can you give on using these? :roll:

Thanks!
IMG_20191025_133921590_PORTRAIT_1.jpg
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
raleighcook15

Re: Moribashi Pointers

Post by raleighcook15 »

Practice practice practice.

I worked with 2 chefs that had these. One was a master of using these to plate, And one poked meat and used it like a cake tester.

#do the right thing lol
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

raleighcook15 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:02 pm Practice practice practice.

I worked with 2 chefs that had these. One was a master of using these to plate, And one poked meat and used it like a cake tester.

#do the right thing lol
Hahaha :lol:
:? :? Right now they're sitting on the countertop, waiting for me to get around to write Mark about returning them, with wife's blessing :roll:
I think I just need a pair of tongs :oops:
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
bruin

Post by bruin »

Off the top of my head there’s a couple things I really like cooking with chopsticks - scrambled eggs/omelette & noodle soup/stir fry. I’ve never had my own pair like this but I have too worked with chefs that were extremely nimble with them.
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

Not sure how helpful an answer this is, but have you talked to the dude[tte] at your favorite sushi place what s/he'd recommend regarding using them?
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Altadan wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:17 pm
raleighcook15 wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:02 pm Practice practice practice.

#do the right thing lol
Hahaha :lol:
:? :? Right now they're sitting on the countertop, waiting for me to get around to write Mark about returning them, with wife's blessing :roll:
I think I just need a pair of tongs :oops:
You were probably nervous sharpening knives when you started as well. Its always fun to learn something new, plus they look badaas. Eat your dinner with it, practice with a bowl of something in front of you while watching tv. Sooner or latee it'll become second nature. When i was learning to quenelle id watch tv with a spoon and some lard. Its weird but it works.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

bruin wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:02 pm Off the top of my head there’s a couple things I really like cooking with chopsticks - scrambled eggs/omelette & noodle soup/stir fry. I’ve never had my own pair like this but I have too worked with chefs that were extremely nimble with them.
I haven’t found a better tool for scrambled eggs
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Alright, hold on here,

what sorta pan are y'all using to scramble your eggs? Nonstick would get all mangled by these steel points!
I don't scramble as much as I used to on my CS pan...

As for eating/practicing with them, I suppose I really could. at 180mm (for the metalic part alone) these are really something (I should consider the shorter ones), but you guys really are quite encouraging.

What's quenelle?
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Altadan wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:41 pm Alright, hold on here,

what sorta pan are y'all using to scramble your eggs? Nonstick would get all mangled by these steel points!

As for eating/practicing with them, I suppose I really could. at 180mm (for the metalic part alone) these are really something (I should consider the shorter ones), but you guys really are quite encouraging.

What's quenelle?
https://youtu.be/ci1MTA6pX9U
This is just a shorter popular video on quenelle. Maybe a pro out there knows a better one.
enjay

Post by enjay »

Altadan wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:41 pm what sorta pan are y'all using to scramble your eggs? Nonstick would get all mangled by these steel points!
I don't know what these "scrambled eggs" are but I for sure have the occasional botched French omelette. In either case, I use a small silicon spatula on an 8" nonstick pan, which for me is the ideal size for the standard three-egg omelette.
timos

Post by timos »

I have a set of these on my workbench actually. I am going to re handle them at some point. Has anyone seen these rehandled? Honestly they are pretty heavy , seems like the kind of eating utensil a mortal kombat character would use...
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

timos wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:53 am I have a set of these on my workbench actually. I am going to re handle them at some point. Has anyone seen these rehandled? Honestly they are pretty heavy , seems like the kind of eating utensil a mortal kombat character would use...
That's because they're much more serving/plating utensils than eating utensils. The extra range also helps in dealing with things like tempura or hot-pot dishes.

The Koreans tend to use metal eating-chopsticks; I vaguely remember reading somewhere that that tradition is of more recent origin due to scarcity of wood in the immediate aftermath of the Korean War. (No idea if that's true or not.)
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

timos wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:53 am I have a set of these on my workbench actually. I am going to re handle them at some point. Has anyone seen these rehandled? Honestly they are pretty heavy , seems like the kind of eating utensil a mortal kombat character would use...
I have seen them rehandled with snake wood. I have set heading to me that the owner wants bocote.
timos

Post by timos »

Ahh I see, that makes a lot of sense then. The steel will hold up to being in the flame / hot oil ... my re handle is going to be from that cast honeycomb material. It should look cool as little mini octagon shapes but may need a steel rod through the entire length as the stuff wont be strong enough on its own.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Cigarguy

Post by Cigarguy »

Hehehe. Just glorified chopsticks. I both cook and eat with them which is common for us. I especially like using them to grill meats.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Well, dealing with some frying and grilling is what I originally got excited about, but like I said, the effort to properly control them brings into question the badass/utility ration, especially where some tongs might serve better.
They're still here <sigh>
we shall see

plating the sushi, on the occasions I do role it at home, could be nice ;)
atang

Post by atang »

Agree with the above responses. Great for hot oil or even grill. Mostly comes down to using the right tool for the job. Moribashi is similar to a set of offset tweezers, better used like a spoon rather than pinching ingredients like tongs. They do excel at plating and picking up ingredients like seaweed salad and shredded daikon. Great for sashimi and other temperature sensitive items. I don’t think I would use them for tomagoyaki. Regular chopsticks or saibashi will be better for eggs (specifically). Keep playing around with them, you may end up loving moribashi