Show us your new knife!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Ma_sha1

Re: Show us your new knife!

Post by Ma_sha1 »

stevem627 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:06 pm Ma_sha1 that's a great looking pair of knives. I really like the matching handles.
Thanks!

I made these. I’ve made a few different type of handles & settled to my fave. Keralian birchwood.

I like it simple, I keep the factory buffoon horn & only make the new handle body & then taper them to fit my hand.
lsboogy

Re: Show us your new kni

Post by lsboogy »

Trith wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:59 pm I received my first Japanese knife today, a Kurosaki AS 240mm Gyuto. To say I'm thrilled is an understatement, I can't stop staring at it. These are the only pictures I have of it before using it and developing a patina along the edge.

I also picked up a CCK 1303 cleaver and a Tsubazo 180mm Gyuto. For $23 the Tsubazo is interesting. It's not awful, and with some work it might even be decent. I plan on sanding the handle and ferrule smooth and then roasting the handle it to darken it up. And oiling it afterwards.

The kurosaki AS is still the reason I'm here and one of the best blades ever devised. I waited for a year to pick one up (used) and still love the thing every time I pull it out. Congrats and welcome to the world of great knives
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

joanjet wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:03 am
Marc4pt0 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:45 am Medium carbon Damascus clad 52100 core gyuto with forged (and super thin) distal taper from Tobi / Metal Monkeys.
Very impressive F&F, and performance.
That looks incredible!

How tall is that? How do you like the D handle on it?
It's about 53mm at the heel. The handle is more a western wa hybrid with the bottom rounded. It's extremely nice and plays well with multiple grip styles. Id have no problem recommending his work. Crazy good
pgugger

Post by pgugger »

Here is my first new knife of 2020: a Yoshimune Nakiri W#1 165 mm. I had never tried a nakiri before and thought this maker had a unique style. The fit and finish is a bit rough and it looks a little chunky toward the distal end when you look down the spine, but it cuts well and came with a nice handle. The tsuchime also looks better in person than advertised. I appreciate that the blade is single "authorship" (if I understood correctly) and thought it was a good way to try a new knife style too.
Attachments
Yoshimune Nakiri
Yoshimune Nakiri
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Beautiful knife there pgugger - plus W#1 can have the best edges in the business if the heat treatment is done correctly. Have a wonderful time with it. Makes me drool looking at it.
hz_zzzzzz

Post by hz_zzzzzz »

Some recently bought knives. From left to the right,
  • Zkramer 52100 with custom handle
  • Tanaka damascus blue 1
  • Konosuke GS+ Togatta
  • Munetoshi Kurouchi white 2 gyuto
  • Munetoshi Kurouchi white 2 butcher
Photo Jan 06, 15 26 58.jpg
hz_zzzzzz

Post by hz_zzzzzz »

Oops..forgot the Tadatsuna white 2,
Photo Jan 06, 15 30 28.jpg
pgugger

Post by pgugger »

Picked up two more knives. Safe to say I have a small collection at this point. Toyama Noborikoi Stainless Clad 240 mm gyuto and Ishikawa 165 mm nakiri. I haven't used the Toyama yet but I can tell I am going to like it. The Ishikawa has an interesting single-bevel S-grind, and there is an interesting story about the blacksmith (https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ishikawaknives.html). Excited to try these out.
Ishikawa Nakiri and Toyama Noborikoi Gyuto
Ishikawa Nakiri and Toyama Noborikoi Gyuto
Ishikawa nakiri choil shot (photo angle a bit off)
Ishikawa nakiri choil shot (photo angle a bit off)
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Been trying to slow down on new purchases, but I finally broke and got my first knife in 2020: a Konosuke 180mm ginsan wide bevel nakiri. Been after this one for a while so it was pretty easy to break my resolution.

--- Steve
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Wow thats gorgeous! If you get tired of it ill drive down and take it off your hands! Let us know how it works.
Andreu

Post by Andreu »

WOW!,, :shock: :o :shock: :o

For sale?
pd7077 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:59 pm Been trying to slow down on new purchases, but I finally broke and got my first knife in 2020: a Konosuke 180mm ginsan wide bevel nakiri. Been after this one for a while so it was pretty easy to break my resolution.

nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Dont see those every day, actually that’s the first kono wide bevel nakiri I’ve seen.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Andreu

Post by Andreu »

I heard you have quiet a collection of Kono wide bevels. PM sent to discuss possible purchase or trade. I have yo Shig kitaeji if you want it.
nakneker wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:52 pm Dont see those every day, actually that’s the first kono wide bevel nakiri I’ve seen.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Andreu wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:09 pm I heard you have quiet a collection of Kono wide bevels. PM sent to discuss possible purchase or trade. I have yo Shig kitaeji if you want it.
nakneker wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:52 pm Dont see those every day, actually that’s the first kono wide bevel nakiri I’ve seen.
[/quote

Pm sent!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
eddieanderson

Post by eddieanderson »

I got my first Japanese knife today and I am super excited. It’s a Kurosaki AS Shizuku 270mm Gyuto. It’s a beast but I was pretty comfortable with it today doing everything from mincing garlic to slicing prime rib....I’m in love!
Attachments
6FEEC037-EBBD-4F3F-BD56-2C70A3C71D8F.jpeg
5B91B9F9-55B7-4705-8BA0-0D175342A7E9.jpeg
1243CA9F-DE2C-4E69-A7EE-E01D825A1EDF.jpeg
john mc c

Post by john mc c »

That single bevel nakiri looks sweet
But I'm still seeing stars from those black locusts
salemj

Post by salemj »

eddieanderson wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:06 am I got my first Japanese knife today and I am super excited. It’s a Kurosaki AS Shizuku 270mm Gyuto. It’s a beast but I was pretty comfortable with it today doing everything from mincing garlic to slicing prime rib....I’m in love!
Congrats! Welcome to the forum and to the pleasure of Japanese knives! That knife is a monster, but given that it is a Kurosaki, I bet if feels light and agile in the hand. Enjoy!
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Steel+Fire

Post by Steel+Fire »

eddieanderson wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:06 am I got my first Japanese knife today and I am super excited. It’s a Kurosaki AS Shizuku 270mm Gyuto. It’s a beast but I was pretty comfortable with it today doing everything from mincing garlic to slicing prime rib....I’m in love!
Great knife. I have the 240mm version. It will start looking really cool once you get a nice dark patina on the AS core steel. Remember to not use scratchy cleaning pads or sponges if this is your first JK. It will take off the KU finish and scratch up the SS cladding. Soft sponges or cloth with soapy water is you need. I have not any rust issues with the AS on this line. I also have the 180mm Nakiri.
lsboogy

Re: Show us your new knif

Post by lsboogy »

Welcome to the rabbit hole dude. I love the knife (have a kurosaki 240 AS blade that is the reason I got to this site - took more than a year to get one) - you have an absolute beast of a blade - one of my favorite makers. Congrats and good choice!
Bcos17

Post by Bcos17 »

Congrats. Jumping right into the deep end with a big blade. Very cool knife. What knife shop is that on your hat?