Anyone pick up the instock shibata kashimas?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Cutuu

Anyone pick up the instock shibata kashimas?

Post by Cutuu »

I had one with the konosuke handle. I liked it but sold it, because it was just chilling in the drawer mostly. But I needed a smaller, stainless knife, and I missed how this gyuto sort of dually acts as a petty. It's super nimble for stuff like Supremes and other fruit and can do all the other stuff well to. Plus, I had sold off alot of my stainless, because for whatever reasons I wasn't letting my carbons go. Also, alt the price they are a great deal. The new handle looked nice on first impression.
Cutuu

Re: Anyone pick up the instock shibata kashimas?

Post by Cutuu »

Bump, don't totally know why, but I'm curious if anybody got the ones that came out. Its kind of cool that they sat there a bit. When the first couple of batches came out they flew out of stock. I don't want to say the hype died down, because I think that can be misleading. But the anticipation definitely settled.
enjay

Post by enjay »

The 240 has sold out so seems it still quite popular. I've used the shorter 220 for couple years and it remains a personal favorite and regularly used.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I darn near bought one. I was tempted. Still am, but got too many fires to put out as a homeowner. )-:
Jeffry B
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

enjay wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:40 pm I've used the shorter 220 for couple years and it remains a personal favorite and regularly used.
Ditto for me with my 240. Got it mid 2017 and it's the one that all my lasers get compared to. It's incredibly thin behind the edge with 9DPS bevels so it should be fragile, but it just doesn't seem to be in practice
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

I liked my 240 Kashima so much it made me pick up a 210 Kotetsu. For the way I like to cut these are wonderful knives.

That said, I wonder if the custom handle thing impacted sales velocity at all. At least for me it would. I'm kind of particular about colored handles. I either love it or I don't and if I don't love it ... I won't.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Robstreperous wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:56 pm I liked my 240 Kashima so much it made me pick up a 210 Kotetsu. For the way I like to cut these are wonderful knives.

That said, I wonder if the custom handle thing impacted sales velocity at all. At least for me it would. I'm kind of particular about colored handles. I either love it or I don't and if I don't love it ... I won't.
I love custom handles for when im at home but no so much for when im at work. Just adds 100 to my knife that one day could grow legs.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Robstreperous wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:56 pm I liked my 240 Kashima so much it made me pick up a 210 Kotetsu. For the way I like to cut these are wonderful knives.

I don't think these new ones were custom handles, which I'm thinking that you are referring to the ones that came out awhile back that had custom handles. I also am particular about custom/ colored handles. I often don't care for the ones I see on cktg, so I will shy away from knives generally with them. Although im sure the right knife might persuade me, but I would really need to be desperately wanting the knife to try one. The handles on the new kashimas are quite nice.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Yeah I've busted out my kashimas at work the last couple of days, and my initial impression is that I'm really glad I backtracked and rebought this one.
zizirex

Post by zizirex »

Yup, I bought the Last One Last week, just received it today. Slightly smaller than the AS, but it is more nimble and less awkward in my hands. Maybe I’m gonna use it more than the AS