Forum improvements

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Forum improvements

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hi Guys,

I'm going to have a developer upgrade the forum software and also put our logo back on the top (I don't know how it reverted).

I also asked him to look at the plug ins that Steve set up since it seems like the Youtube and Instagram codes don't work properly at this point.

Are there any suggestions that he might be able to do while he's in there working? I'm happy to add things if it's possible to improve the forum.

PS I don't think he'll be able to fix the periodic crashes when we're down. I think that's related to the host server but he said he'll take a look.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Drewski

Re: Forum improvements

Post by Drewski »

Is it possible to raise the max number of attached photos from 4 to 6 or 8? Or am I stuck at 4 because of image size? Also, if someone sends you a private message, is it possible to get an email notification? I feel like sometimes I miss messages for a while cause I don't check here as much.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

As long as you're asking, if reasonably possible, I'd love to see an Active Topics link/button added to the bottom of the forum pages or to the Jump to drop down menu.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
gladius

Post by gladius »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:57 pm As long as you're asking, if reasonably possible, I'd love to see an Active Topics link/button added to the bottom of the forum pages or to the Jump to drop down menu.
---
There already is one: search.php?search_id=active_topics

ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

gladius wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:56 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:57 pm As long as you're asking, if reasonably possible, I'd love to see an Active Topics link/button added to the bottom of the forum pages or to the Jump to drop down menu.
---

I thought that was only at the top. SInce one has to scroll up to reach it, the bottom of the page might actually be more convenient, especially on longer threads.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Drewski wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:43 pm ...Also, if someone sends you a private message, is it possible to get an email notification? I feel like sometimes I miss messages for a while cause I don't check here as much.
You can set up email notifications in the user control panel - board preferences.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Rename the "Home" button "Store" so I'll quit clicking it when I want to go to the forum home page. :evil:

I know, but I'm getting old and hard to train... :roll:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

How about a like post button? So many times I want to click a button that doesn't exist.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Chocu1a wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:50 pm How about a like post button? So many times I want to click a button that doesn't exist.
This!
--- Steve
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Ok,

Let me see if I can have Alec do these.

Put Logo Back on the Header like before
Update Software to newest version
Trouble shoot plug ins for Youtube and Instagram
Rename Home Button to say "Store"
Add a Like Button for posts.
Add Active Topics Link to the bottom of the page
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:44 pm
Drewski wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:43 pm ...Also, if someone sends you a private message, is it possible to get an email notification? I feel like sometimes I miss messages for a while cause I don't check here as much.
You can set up email notifications in the user control panel - board preferences.
Found it, thanks!
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:33 pm
gladius wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:56 pm
---

I thought that was only at the top. SInce one has to scroll up to reach it, the bottom of the page might actually be more convenient, especially on longer threads.
I agree about having something on the bottom. For me, the "Home < Board index < Main Q & A Forums < General Discussion" (for example) links would be awesome at the bottom
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I’d love a like button, I’d use use it often, makes it easy to acknowledge a post and not have to reply. Might be disadvantages too I guess.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

Also can we make the attachment size for pictures bigger than 256 kb like 2 or 3 mb would be good if possible. Most of the time I have to choose imgur rather than being able to put them on here cause the file size is too large.
s3222

Post by s3222 »

When reviewing topics, it would be nice to see who started a post in addition to the last person who posted if possible.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

s3222 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:35 pm When reviewing topics, it would be nice to see who started a post in addition to the last person who posted if possible.
You can see this on the desktop site, but not the mobile site (which is just who had the last post).
s3222

Post by s3222 »

Drewski wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:42 pm
s3222 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:35 pm When reviewing topics, it would be nice to see who started a post in addition to the last person who posted if possible.
You can see this on the desktop site, but not the mobile site (which is just who had the last post).
I see, thanks. It would be great if it was also visible on the mobile site.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

ButlerHoosierChef wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:21 pm Also can we make the attachment size for pictures bigger than 256 kb like 2 or 3 mb would be good if possible. Most of the time I have to choose imgur rather than being able to put them on here cause the file size is too large.
We only get a set amount of space to use so picture size will gobble up the little space we have left. I use Imgur too.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

How about making it so we could post photos direct here. I can't use sharing sites (government dictated) but I can upload photos to sites direct.
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:45 pm
ButlerHoosierChef wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:21 pm Also can we make the attachment size for pictures bigger than 256 kb like 2 or 3 mb would be good if possible. Most of the time I have to choose imgur rather than being able to put them on here cause the file size is too large.
We only get a set amount of space to use so picture size will gobble up the little space we have left. I use Imgur too.
I can certainly understand that. Thanks for the feedback.