How many BTU do I need?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
inzite

Re: How many BTU do I need?

Post by inzite »

jscully730 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:14 am
inzite wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:47 pm thought i would a photo of mine as well.

hey, was that a granite? your kitchen looks really fantastic. did you find that countertops at this store? https://marble.com/articles/granite-cou ... o-consider it seems like they have the same design you've got. I'm planning to have my kitchen remodeled by July.
it's quartz - the brand is caeserstone. the piece behind the rangetop is called vanilla noir and the rest of the backsplash and countertops is called organic white. We also went with a non standard edge which is typically called ogee bullnose. Regardless of material, I recommend using 1 slab as backsplash as it's so much easier to clean than grout lines with tiled backsplash.
rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

Big fan of engineered stone. Didn’t know about it for kitchen, but used it for bathrooms. Permanently sealed. Etc.

Engineered tile for flooring is even more awesome compared to ceramic tile. Less fear of cracking a tile.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

hey, was that a granite? your kitchen looks really fantastic. did you find that countertops at this store? https://marble.com/articles/granite-cou ... o-consider it seems like they have the same design you've got. I'm planning to have my kitchen remodeled by July.
That is a sexy range!!
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

I also love my Culinarian. I went with a custom color. Couldn't be happier. That thing can cook
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

Here's mine all set up. I've been running it for about 6 months now. Simply couldn't be happier!
20190520_195126.jpg
Here it is with a 10inch pan on it:
20190520_195506.jpg
JustinP

Post by JustinP »

AlbuquerqueDan wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:27 pm Here's mine all set up. I've been running it for about 6 months now. Simply couldn't be happier!
Nice, I see you upgraded to the worlds best knives too :D.

And sweet stove! I really need to up my stove game.
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

JustinP wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:05 pm
AlbuquerqueDan wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:27 pm Here's mine all set up. I've been running it for about 6 months now. Simply couldn't be happier!
Nice, I see you upgraded to the worlds best knives too :D.

And sweet stove! I really need to up my stove game.
Cutco is seriously underrated. I sold all my j-knives to get that set. 😉
jscully730

Post by jscully730 »

inzite wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:00 pm

it's quartz - the brand is caeserstone. the piece behind the rangetop is called vanilla noir and the rest of the backsplash and countertops is called organic white. We also went with a non standard edge which is typically called ogee bullnose. Regardless of material, I recommend using 1 slab as backsplash as it's so much easier to clean than grout lines with tiled backsplash.
oh yeah. stone countertops are really confusing sometimes. btw thank you!
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I still don't own a house, but seem to sometimes find myself obsessing over what range I want. I was recently at a home reno show and there was an appliance company there with a bunch of brands, and they steered me toward Thermador, as I was asking about open burner stoves. The Thermador has star shaped sealed burners, which places more heat toward the middle of the burner than a traditional round sealed burner. This style of rangetop also seemed to be dead easy to clean as it was a one piece ceramic under the burners.

It seems like a lot of you on here are pro-open burner. Blue Star and Capital are both available in the city I live. Just looking at what an open burner looks like online though, I am immediately hesitant due to how difficult it looks to clean. I don't want to have to pull apart my rangetop every meal. Typically, something does get spilled or boiled over, and this won't change.

Am I off base to think that an open burner range is actually more work to maintain/clean than a sealed burner range?

Does anyone have any real world experience with Thermador and the star shaped burners?

Is it possible/feasible to convert a space that is fit for a 30 inch range to a 36 inch range? (counter tops are not granite/marble)

Is it expensive to get a gas line run to the kitchen if the existing stove is all electric? (guessing this varies house by house, but a reasonable estimate is fine)

Why go with a gas oven vs an electric (dual fuel) or vice versa?

PS, so jealous of the kitchens in this thread!
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Lots of interesting questions here Drewski. As a Realtor and open burner Viking 36" range owner I have have some experience here. Lets start with the gas line and then the counters.

Assuming there is gas to your house to start with: If your kitchen/house is on a slab on the first floor they may have to cut into the slab to install a line which would be expensive but maybe they can go thru the walls which would depend on where your source is and building codes etc. I would call a contractor up and have him come out and get this figured out first. If you dont have natural gas to your house then you need an gas tank outside "Pig" brought in and a line installed. Your local gas company will provide the tank and refills as needed.

Cutting cabinets? we had that done in our house and it wasn't a biggy. You will/might need a new surface on the ones you trim as some surfaces dont take well to cutting/trimming. You can ask the contractor while he is there about this but will probably need to defer to a cabinet worker. If the current cabinets/counters arent able to take a resizing then the cabinet maker can make/alters some new ones for you. How much? start with the contractor for advice and he might know someone who does this exact thing.

Open burner vs closed? My range is like 15yrs old and i wish that i had gotten a closed burner range. As it is i have to (but can) take out the cups surrounding the burners and clean em along with the rim they sit on. and the panels for each front/rear burners comes off the stove and can be cleaned also. and if i get an overflow it goes onto the tray underneath to catch it which is also removable. For a large spill on a closed burner range i imagine it would go all over the stove top vs large spill on mine goes into the tray. I would go with closed burners.

Star vs circular burners? I wish i had a smaller burner (all 4 are same size and middle of my range is a grill). it makes sense to heat the middle but on larger pots like dutch ovens etc is the heat distribution equal on the outer edges? cant help here defer to the pros.

What type of oven to get? Well my viking range repair guy and others i have chatted with love the gas broiler part of the oven. It just does a great job for lots of stuff. (Fyi the broiler is on the top of the oven not like some models where the broiler is in a drawer on the bottom.)
As far as gas vs electric? I think i would go for electric oven with gas broiler. Based on what i had read in Consumers reports few years ago and my experience this makes sense. My range is all gas and has two ceramic gas ignitors which are like $75 apiece which i have replaced a few times already. Of course newer models may not have that issue. I dont think there is any performance different between a gas or electric oven and the electric oven will probably be maintenance free.

And you know, all those nice new carbon steel pans you got would look great and cook better on a new gas range!
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Bob Z wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:35 pm Lots of interesting questions here Drewski. As a Realtor and open burner Viking 36" range owner I have have some experience here. Lets start with the gas line and then the counters.

Assuming there is gas to your house to start with: If your kitchen/house is on a slab on the first floor they may have to cut into the slab to install a line which would be expensive but maybe they can go thru the walls which would depend on where your source is and building codes etc. I would call a contractor up and have him come out and get this figured out first. If you dont have natural gas to your house then you need an gas tank outside "Pig" brought in and a line installed. Your local gas company will provide the tank and refills as needed.

Cutting cabinets? we had that done in our house and it wasn't a biggy. You will/might need a new surface on the ones you trim as some surfaces dont take well to cutting/trimming. You can ask the contractor while he is there about this but will probably need to defer to a cabinet worker. If the current cabinets/counters arent able to take a resizing then the cabinet maker can make/alters some new ones for you. How much? start with the contractor for advice and he might know someone who does this exact thing.

Open burner vs closed? My range is like 15yrs old and i wish that i had gotten a closed burner range. As it is i have to (but can) take out the cups surrounding the burners and clean em along with the rim they sit on. and the panels for each front/rear burners comes off the stove and can be cleaned also. and if i get an overflow it goes onto the tray underneath to catch it which is also removable. For a large spill on a closed burner range i imagine it would go all over the stove top vs large spill on mine goes into the tray. I would go with closed burners.

Star vs circular burners? I wish i had a smaller burner (all 4 are same size and middle of my range is a grill). it makes sense to heat the middle but on larger pots like dutch ovens etc is the heat distribution equal on the outer edges? cant help here defer to the pros.

What type of oven to get? Well my viking range repair guy and others i have chatted with love the gas broiler part of the oven. It just does a great job for lots of stuff. (Fyi the broiler is on the top of the oven not like some models where the broiler is in a drawer on the bottom.)
As far as gas vs electric? I think i would go for electric oven with gas broiler. Based on what i had read in Consumers reports few years ago and my experience this makes sense. My range is all gas and has two ceramic gas ignitors which are like $75 apiece which i have replaced a few times already. Of course newer models may not have that issue. I dont think there is any performance different between a gas or electric oven and the electric oven will probably be maintenance free.

And you know, all those nice new carbon steel pans you got would look great and cook better on a new gas range!
Thanks a lot Bob, too bad you aren't my realtor. The houses we are looking at are all heated using natural gas furnace and forced air. The homes also have a full basement where the furnace is located. There is a concrete outer foundation, and then the interior walls/beams/joists are wood.

That's good to know cutting cabinets/counter tops is not such a huge deal. Not sure if I "need" a 36 inch, but good to know it might be an option.

I just got a cousin into his first CS pan, and after a week of use, the seasoning on the sides of the pan is already way better than mine from use on an electric coil range.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Drewski wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:04 pm
Bob Z wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:35 pm Lots of interesting questions here Drewski. As a Realtor and open burner Viking 36" range owner I have have some experience here. Lets start with the gas line and then the counters.

Thanks a lot Bob, too bad you aren't my realtor. The houses we are looking at are all heated using natural gas furnace and forced air. The homes also have a full basement where the furnace is located. There is a concrete outer foundation, and then the interior walls/beams/joists are wood.

That's good to know cutting cabinets/counter tops is not such a huge deal. Not sure if I "need" a 36 inch, but good to know it might be an option.

I just got a cousin into his first CS pan, and after a week of use on a gas range, the seasoning on the sides of the pan is already way better than mine from use on an electric coil range.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

PaulME wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:43 pm Went with capital on ours about a year ago, very happy with the decision. Capital burners are supposed to be 25k ea except the one small simmer burner. Went big with a 48 inc grill which is nice to have. Get a big hood! I sourced a used Wolf 54” island hood and put in a remote 1500cfm blower. Will see if I can figure out pictures on this board later.

Yes I put it in the island - and I’m happy with that decision. It’s a really big island so lots of room on both sides.

Good luck
Paul
Any update on pics? 8-)
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

We're renovating and we had to fire our ratfink contractor before the holidays and we never got to start on the kitchen. I have the Bluestar Platinum 36" Rangetop sitting in the garage with all the other appliances for about 4 months now :/

We have a new and well regarded contractor, should be done by March!
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Drewski wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:51 pm I still don't own a house, but seem to sometimes find myself obsessing over what range I want. I was recently at a home reno show and there was an appliance company there with a bunch of brands, and they steered me toward Thermador, as I was asking about open burner stoves. The Thermador has star shaped sealed burners, which places more heat toward the middle of the burner than a traditional round sealed burner. This style of rangetop also seemed to be dead easy to clean as it was a one piece ceramic under the burners.

It seems like a lot of you on here are pro-open burner. Blue Star and Capital are both available in the city I live. Just looking at what an open burner looks like online though, I am immediately hesitant due to how difficult it looks to clean. I don't want to have to pull apart my rangetop every meal. Typically, something does get spilled or boiled over, and this won't change.

Am I off base to think that an open burner range is actually more work to maintain/clean than a sealed burner range?

Does anyone have any real world experience with Thermador and the star shaped burners?

Is it possible/feasible to convert a space that is fit for a 30 inch range to a 36 inch range? (counter tops are not granite/marble)

Is it expensive to get a gas line run to the kitchen if the existing stove is all electric? (guessing this varies house by house, but a reasonable estimate is fine)

If you are getting a Capital (which I highky recommend), call Trevor at Eurostoves/ He got me a great price. He knows everything about the stove. He helped design it. The cleaning is not hard at all, actually easier than closed burners. There are videos on line. Plus there is a slide out tray which makes it even easier. Trevor has an on-again, off-again relationship with Blue Star, so i don't know if he is currently selling it.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

keithmarder wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:24 pm
Drewski wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:51 pm I still don't own a house, but seem to sometimes find myself obsessing over what range I want. I was recently at a home reno show and there was an appliance company there with a bunch of brands, and they steered me toward Thermador, as I was asking about open burner stoves. The Thermador has star shaped sealed burners, which places more heat toward the middle of the burner than a traditional round sealed burner. This style of rangetop also seemed to be dead easy to clean as it was a one piece ceramic under the burners.

If you are getting a Capital (which I highky recommend), call Trevor at Eurostoves/ He got me a great price. He knows everything about the stove. He helped design it. The cleaning is not hard at all, actually easier than closed burners. There are videos on line. Plus there is a slide out tray which makes it even easier. Trevor has an on-again, off-again relationship with Blue Star, so i don't know if he is currently selling it.
Thanks for the recommendation. A quick google search for Eurostoves seems to indicate that the company and Trevor may no longer be in business and possibly have the money of customers who are unable to get their appliances. But most of all, I live in Canada so I'd have to carefully calculate if cross-border shopping makes sense in this case (it might). Cheers.

PS. We bought a house today, conditional on inspection. Very excited.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Wow thats exciting, good luck Drewski!
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Bob Z wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:40 pm Wow thats exciting, good luck Drewski!
Thanks Bob!
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Drewski wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:17 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. A quick google search for Eurostoves seems to indicate that the company and Trevor may no longer be in business and possibly have the money of customers who are unable to get their appliances. But most of all, I live in Canada so I'd have to carefully calculate if cross-border shopping makes sense in this case (it might). Cheers.

Good luck and sorry for the wild goose chase
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

keithmarder wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:25 pm
Drewski wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:17 pm

Good luck and sorry for the wild goose chase
No apology necessary, only took a couple of minutes. Still can't decide between open and sealed burners though :lol: