About Misono UX10

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Jason183

About Misono UX10

Post by Jason183 »

Anybody know what exactly steel does it made out of? I have a 240mm ux10 Sujihiki(around 10 years old). Then I purchased a 270mm ux10 Sujihiki recently From Hocho and felt like they’re different steel, My older 240mm Sujihiki Sharpens faster(sounds different on sharpening stone too) and holds the edge much better than the new 270mm one, I was wondering if they’re using the cheaper steel now a day, No wonder why ppl called it overpriced.
salemj

Re: About Misono UX10

Post by salemj »

I don't know of any changes to the steel, but as far as I know, this is a basic steel very similar to AUS8, but obviously top-quality in that it is made with swedish steel and probably has a proprietary mix. However, given the basics of the steel and its relation to two other Misono lines, if you are noticing any differences at all, I would strongly suggest that they do not have to do with the very minor possible changes to the steel formulation of this type, and instead have to do with the heat treatment. It is very, very possible that the heat treatment has been tweaked given other changes in the market and competition. Otherwise, there are lots of knives that used slightly different variations of AUS8, and I do not think that most of them have significantly different characteristics as steels...although they do have very different characteristics in terms of heat treatment which tends to affect the ease of sharpening and edge retention in particular.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
bruin

Post by bruin »

For what it’s worth, I bought a UX10 gyuto in 2017 and found the edge retention left a lot to be desired and never liked the feel of it on whetstones.
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

I think salemj nailed it - heat treat state is most probable cause.
cliff

Post by cliff »

I thought it was AEB-L
gladius

Post by gladius »

cliff wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:59 am I thought it was AEB-L
---
It is not disclosed but it is probably Swedish 19C27.
salemj

Post by salemj »

It would make sense if it were one of the above. I thought I read it was an MV steel in Misono literature, but I am probably misremembering (19c27 is not an MV steel). Originally, these knives were actually a bit too cheap, and they have a slightly low HRC rating, for these better steels if done properly, but perhaps that accounts for the performance differences etc we so often see, as well as the preference for the masamoto VG by some (which is a proprietary MV steel).
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
gladius

Post by gladius »

The steels are very close: http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelg ... hrn=1&gm=0
The 19C27 is the one known simply as Swedish Steel. I was never able to get it super sharp like AEB-L. It is wear resistant though...

ref. https://www.materials.sandvik/en/produc ... dvik-19c27
Sandvik 19C27 is Sandvik's most wear resistant knife steel grade and developed for abrasive applications. Sandvik 19C27 is the odd grade in the Sandvik knife steel portfolio because it's a coarse carbide grade, unlike the other Sandvik knife steel grades...The coarse carbide grades excel at wear resistance but do not allow keen edge angles and have limited edge stability, due to the sacrifice of toughness related to the coarse microstructure.

Sandvik 19C27 is developed for industrial blades for cutting cardboard and tough fiber materials. The world class wear resistance is the main reason why this grade should be selected. Sandvik 19C27 is limited in corrosion resistance and we recommend surface coating on Sandvik 19C27 for knife applications to avoid corrosion issues.

With a recommended hardness range of 55-63 HRC, excellent wear resistance and a coarse carbide structure Sandvik 19C27 is suitable for industrial blades for cutting tough or/and abrasive materials.
SSuchan

Post by SSuchan »

gladius wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:01 pm The steels are very close: http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelg ... hrn=1&gm=0
The 19C27 is the one known simply as Swedish Steel. I was never able to get it super sharp like AEB-L. It is wear resistant though...

ref. https://www.materials.sandvik/en/produc ... dvik-19c27
Sandvik 19C27 is Sandvik's most wear resistant knife steel grade and developed for abrasive applications. Sandvik 19C27 is the odd grade in the Sandvik knife steel portfolio because it's a coarse carbide grade, unlike the other Sandvik knife steel grades...The coarse carbide grades excel at wear resistance but do not allow keen edge angles and have limited edge stability, due to the sacrifice of toughness related to the coarse microstructure.

Sandvik 19C27 is developed for industrial blades for cutting cardboard and tough fiber materials. The world class wear resistance is the main reason why this grade should be selected. Sandvik 19C27 is limited in corrosion resistance and we recommend surface coating on Sandvik 19C27 for knife applications to avoid corrosion issues.

With a recommended hardness range of 55-63 HRC, excellent wear resistance and a coarse carbide structure Sandvik 19C27 is suitable for industrial blades for cutting tough or/and abrasive materials.
It is amazing how often ZK still gets referenced on knife forums. Always good info, too.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Yeah Zvi did a great service for everyone 10 years ago when he put together that site.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Jason183

Post by Jason183 »

@gladius So is it possible they using the AEB-L 10 years ago? and now using the 19c27 instead?

Sounds like my old 240mm ux10 leaning more towards AEB-L cause I can get it super sharp fast
And the new 270mm ux10 more like 19c27, more wear resistance
gladius

Post by gladius »

Jason183 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:04 pm @gladius So is it possible they using the AEB-L 10 years ago? and now using the 19c27 instead?

Sounds like my old 240mm ux10 leaning more towards AEB-L cause I can get it super sharp fast
And the new 270mm ux10 more like 19c27, more wear resistance
---
Doubtful, I had an older one too. You might want to contact Misuno asking if they changed steel in the UX10 line or ask Mark if he might have a contact to them.