What did you cook today?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Jeff B

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by Jeff B »

Dueling Dan and Ronnie. :D You guys have really elevated this thread, love checking out your daily treats! :ugeek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
KetchupKing

Post by KetchupKing »

awww mannnnnn, I didn't know this thread was poppin like this haha. I've been cooking like everyday(of my days off) and have pictures of final stuff, but not like mid prep and knife action and all haha. This should be fun to document dinners now mid cooking. stay tuned :lol:
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

Did Slouvaki yesterday, but the dish of the day was . . .

And oh my was it good - EVOO, leek, garlic, peperoncino, zucchini, white wine (I boil mine off), tomatoes, parsley, salt and little neck clams. Served with a crisp toasted sourdough bread - a heavenly sopping tool.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Pickle update: Day 14 and they're done . . .

Jarred Russian Dills

Russian Dills, Hot Pepper & Garlic

I'm very pleased with the outcome. Flavor is great, with perfect amounts of dill and garlic, low-moderate heat, bold fermentation and crunchy texture. I made a spicy Virgin Mary this afternoon, just because it seemed like the perfect use for some of the extra pickle juice. :)
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
bruin

Post by bruin »

Love to see a nice cloudy brine. They look great
ronnie_suburban

Leftovers breakfast . . .

Oyster Mushroom, Sauteed Onion, Provolone & Swiss Omelet

Mushrooms, onions and sausages were all left over from meals I made earlier in the week. Still grating away at a couple of chunks of cheese that have been around for a while, too. Feels good to use this stuff up before it disappears into the back-of-the-fridge abyss forever. :)
=R=
ronnie_suburban

After completing a few non-culinary projects around the house, I started feeling lazy at the end of the afternoon, so I went with this dinner instead of the one I had originally envisioned, which would have taken considerably more time and effort. So, while it wasn't exactly Groundhog's Day it felt a bit like Coronatime Grilled Chicken, Sauteed Mushroom and Corn on the Cob Dinner #1,237 . . .

Creminis & Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto, 210mm
I'm not normally a fan of oval handles but this one feels good and locks nicely into my hand even when it's a bit wet. It's a very recent acquisition, so I'm looking forward to spending more time with it.

Creminis
As is tradition, sauteed with garlic, homemade demiglace and red wine. Garnished with chives.

Chicken Thighs Grilling
Many thighs (the wife wanted ample leftovers this week) and a relatively small fire, these took about 27 minutes covered on the indirect side. :shock: This was more than enough for all of us and then . . . lunches for the rest of the week (but hopefully, not for me! :D)

Plated Up
With buttered, Mirai bi-color sweet corn (yay, Illinois! :)) and creminis. I do love that instant-potted corn. Two minutes on high pressure and you're unlocking one of the best uses of the device.
=R=
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Looks great Mr. Suburban.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

Tandoori chicken. Marinated 24 hours in yogurt and seasonings. I don't have a tandoor clay oven, so I improvise using indirect heat in a closed grill.

20200802_195853.jpg
Ricardo
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

@ronnie_suburban

I like your "1 knife, 1 task" method you got going. Gets you through the rotation in a fraction of the time! haha
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Ronnie we need to have your screen name changed to "Chicken Thigh." :D Looks tasty dude!

And @Xexox, if you call somebody "Mr." again we are going to have to consider banning you. We are not that formal around here. :P
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Mowgface wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:12 pm @ronnie_suburban

I like your "1 knife, 1 task" method you got going. Gets you through the rotation in a fraction of the time! haha
LOL @ myself. I'm such a rookie, I'm still trying to develop an innate understanding of which knives work best in which situations. When I get a hunch, I give it a whirl, which is why I sometimes use more than one knife on a meal prep. At this rate, I'll never have to sharpen another knife!
Jeff B wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:02 pm Ronnie we need to have your screen name changed to "Chicken Thigh." :D Looks tasty dude!
LOL, yeah. That's my blues name. 8-)

They're a beloved staple around here, especially since my wife likes to have them for lunch. I try to mix it up on the prep but it does feel a bit repetitive at times (kind of like everything else these days).
=R=
ronnie_suburban

And now for something completely different . . . :lol:

With an abundance of freshly-foraged fungi flowing forth, it as good a time as any to give mushroom risotto a whirl. As I went through the process, it didn't feel completely new to me but if I've made it before (wife says I have), I cannot remember when . . .

Onions & Makoto Light Saber, 210mm
Not the most deft knife at its tip but it helped me navigate these fine cuts pretty well . . .

Shallots & Makoto Light Saber, 210mm
. . . and it's a looker. :D

Mise
Locally foraged chanterelles, arborio rice, chicken stock-reconstituted porcini mushrooms, shallots, onions, parmigiano reggiano, sauvignon blanc, evoo.

Reconstituted, Steeped, Simmered and Drained Porcinis
I let these sit in the stock for a few hours and then, when assembly time came, I simmered them for about 20 minutes in the stock before removing them and chopping them up to go into the risotto. The soaking stock was the foundation of the cooking liquid for the rice, augmented by additional stock.

Sauteed Onions, Shallots and Chanterelles
After the onions and shallots saute for a few minutes, the fresh mushrooms are added. Instructions (more on this later) were to chop them up but I knew they'd break apart, so I skipped that step. It only took a minute or two until all this was ready to temporarily come out of the pot while the rice got toasted. After that, the wine joins the toasted rice, followed 2-3 minutes later by the porcini-soaking liquid (kept simmering and the additional stock( also kept simmering), about a half-cup at a time, as the rice continues to cook.

All in all, I used about 5.5 cups of stock (plus 0.5 C wine) for 2 cups of rice. And yes, even though I'm not sure it was necessary, I stirred it pretty much constantly for about 20-25 minutes. When the last portion of stock is added to the rice, the sauteed mix and the reconstituted porcinis are added back to the pot, after which everything cooks together for another 4-5 minutes. After that, it's removed from the heat and the grated parmigiano and a couple tablespoons of cold, unsalted butter, are stirred in.

Seared Sea Scallops
While the risotto was finishing up, I sauteed these s&p'd beauties in a mix of evoo and butter. They didn't take long, maybe 2 minutes per side in a hot, carbon steel skillet.

Mushroom Risotto with Seared Sea Scallops
This was delicious, with an intensely rich mushroom flavor. The rice was perfect, with a creaminess from all its released starch and just a bit of bite left in it. Beginner's luck.

Plated Up
Decided to shave a bit more parmigiano on top just to gild the lily. :D

I tried to follow Lidia Bastianich's recipe/method but she's been around a while and has, understandably, let it all evolve over time. So, this ended up being a hodgepodge of a few of her different takes . . . everything from her appearance on Great Chefs of The East in 1993, to a 2002 excerpt in New England Today, to even a youtube clip from earlier this year. It all worked out very nicely, as the dish benefited from decades of her experience and expertise.
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

If I show that to my wife she'd be knocking on your door, she LOVES Scallops!

Looks awesome Ronnie!
salemj

Post by salemj »

Very nice. You just reminded me of how much I enjoy risotto, and how long it has been since I have cooked it!
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
jeremyl

Post by jeremyl »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:19 pm With an abundance of freshly-foraged fungi flowing forth, it as good a time as any to give mushroom risotto a whirl.
I've been waiting for a big enough haul from foraging to do a mush risotto. Been a while. I think someone (or something) else has found my Agaricus augustus spot so Im not getting enough. Maybe if I let it sit for a week. Hoping to find some chanterelles soon - we are getting a little rain tomorrow so maybe things will pop up. I'll have to try scallops next time - always a treat. Maybe it will be enough of a treat to earn a new knife... I've been wanting something in the 4-5" range. AND it just seems wrong that all you guys have multiple knives and I just have this singular Kono MM. I might want something more of a rocker to play with - Joe, you ready to sell me more goodies ;).

Meanwhile, I've been breaking in my new KA 7QT mixer.
Attachments
IMG_1412 2.jpg
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:11 pm If I show that to my wife she'd be knocking on your door, she LOVES Scallops!

Looks awesome Ronnie!
It's ironic that in the middle of a pandemic I have such easy access to high-quality ingredients like these, which are certainly available here but not always so easily acquired. I actually bought the scallops from a nearby restaurant that's kind of pivoted into a part-time coronatime purveyor. The chanterelles are from a local forager who, I'm guessing, in normal times has no problem moving her entire stash to high-end restaurants.
salemj wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:10 am Very nice. You just reminded me of how much I enjoy risotto, and how long it has been since I have cooked it!
It really was a pleasure to cook. Lots of moving parts, none too difficult and because it's somewhat technique-dependent, a successful outcome was particularly satisfying.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

jeremyl wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:18 am Meanwhile, I've been breaking in my new KA 7QT mixer.
Nice! Black Forest Cake?
=R=
jeremyl

Post by jeremyl »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:30 am
jeremyl wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:18 am Meanwhile, I've been breaking in my new KA 7QT mixer.
Nice! Black Forest Cake?
Yep. A change from my usual. I've done the one from Pierre Hermes' 'Chocolate Deserts' book a few times. Wife and I have been watching The Great British Bakeoff recently and they had Black Forest as a semi-final challenge a few seasons back. This one was deemed 'Possibly the best Black Forest Cake I've ever eaten" by the judge. I guess if you put 1lb of chocolate in the cake batter, and another 1lb in the ganache topping...
https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/re ... late-cake/

I modified a little as I like the cream layer Pierre uses (with cherries embedded). I had one jar left of last years cherries (made 10 more jars this year) so I popped those in. Made for a very high cake and a somewhat sloppy assembly, but still very delish.

Been working on my macaron method as well... those were pretty good. Made another round last night that were not nearly as good (I made a couple mistakes).
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Salmon Gravalax
Konosuke Fujiyama Fuguhiki 270mm Blue 1 - One of my favorite willows.
Handle by Matt Delosso