Questions about pies

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
btravis77

Questions about pies

Post by btravis77 »

what is the best knife for cutting pies? been reading and seeing serrated and smooth edge knife use (chef knife).....on slicing a top and bottom layer crust OF fruit pie. can any one give me advice which to use when.....the places i been on web and in books dont say either way. But yet there is video on cutting the pies where they show a serrated knife being used and also a chef knife. one video is at How to Cut Pie Without Making a Crumbly Mess at.... purewow...then go to mrs. smith pie cutting video ......How to cut, garnish and serve Mrs. Smith Pie matt horn ....yes i know what he says why he uses a serrated knife. but if what he says is true than why does purewow and even american test kitchen...at how to serve the perfect fruit pie video show chef knife cutting pie. any help appr.
Jeff B

Re: Questions about pies

Post by Jeff B »

I don't think it really matters that much. I've cut pies with both serrated knives and straight edged knives without a problem. I think you just need to try both and see what works best for you and your situations. For me the most important part was using a light touch and letting the knife do the work and not forcing the cut, regardless of the knife used.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Knife?! I just use a fork! :D

In all seriousness, as Jeff says, I don't think matters much but given the nature of the vessels in which pies usually reside, I try to use the most effective knife I don't really care about. The thought of pulling a nice blade against metal, glass, stonewear, ceramic, etc. makes me cringe.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
slensgra

Post by slensgra »

^^^^ what he said

Post by gladius »

Why a pie server of course! They are made for this purpose. Every one I've used works fine, for cutting, portioning and serving.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

My question about pies is the crust! I used to bake pumpkin pies in a raw crust (not blind baked, prebaked, whatever you want to call it) and the pie would come out fine and the crust was baked. It isn't happening anymore and I don't know why. I'm trying different crust recipes, all butter, shortening, mix, store bought, etc. No luck. Going to order some rendered lard and try that. I understand the lard I can buy in stores just doesn't cut it taste wise. Ugh.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

XexoX wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:18 pm My question about pies is the crust! I used to bake pumpkin pies in a raw crust (not blind baked, prebaked, whatever you want to call it) and the pie would come out fine and the crust was baked. It isn't happening anymore and I don't know why. I'm trying different crust recipes, all butter, shortening, mix, store bought, etc. No luck. Going to order some rendered lard and try that. I understand the lard I can buy in stores just doesn't cut it taste wise. Ugh.
I went down the supermarket lard road and from ATK if you want some that may be available locally and def online, try the John Morell Snow Cap Lard.

But...I hate blind baking, so I put a baking steel on the rack where im going to bake the pie, and heat the oven up to like 425 to heat it up, then lower to pie baking temp and put the pie on the steel. The heat provides enough to cook the crust much better than no steel.Kinda like making a pizza.
Didn't you just get a new range? are ya sure the temp is right?
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Bob Z wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:18 pm I went down the supermarket lard road and from ATK if you want some that may be available locally and def online, try the John Morell Snow Cap Lard.

But...I hate blind baking, so I put a baking steel on the rack where im going to bake the pie, and heat the oven up to like 425 to heat it up, then lower to pie baking temp and put the pie on the steel. The heat provides enough to cook the crust much better than no steel.Kinda like making a pizza.
Didn't you just get a new range? are ya sure the temp is right?
The range will be next month. Finally got the funds to redo the countertops, floors, and get the range and fridge. Well, maybe not the fridge. Starting to price things next week. Hope to get it all done in January.

Do you use glass pie plates or metal ones Mr. Z.? I'll try the John Morell Snow Cap Lard and get a baking steel. Thanks Mr. Z.!
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Glass or metal? I used to use glass but they have a rep of taking at least another 5 mins vs metal, and might get some shock from the hot steel so switched to metal pans. you could prolly use a baking stone instead of a steel of course...