Blade design + Passaround

Formerly Blackstone Knife Company

Moderator: timos

Bensbites

Re: Blade design + Passaround

Post by Bensbites »

Georgek wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:31 pm Ben, these all look great, but my favorites of the bunch are #5, 7, 8, 10 and 11 from the left. Just sayin
Thanks.
J david

Post by J david »

+1 on 5,7,8.
Willison_Knives

Post by Willison_Knives »

that steel looks amazing! to late for the pass around?
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
timos

Post by timos »

Hey Dakota, I would love to add you to the list as long as Robstreperous and you can work out shipping to Canada? I am not sure what is involved.

Also Id like to know if any of you guys will be bringing to work (I am encouraging that) I want to know how this does in fast pace , limited space, where you need a jack of all trades type blade.
Ive also spend a little more time on the edge of this one. I did by hand, set the bevel on atoma 140, refined on 150 nubatama, then shapton 2500, stropped on 10k imanishi. About 15-20 Deg. Inclusive
Maybe I already said this, not sure but the edge is thicker closer to the heel; should be able to take some abuse. The last half of the blade gets pretty darn thin, thin enough to do this to a grape anyway:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BU6801JF1lu/

Updated List:
GeorgeK
raleighcook15
mauichef
J David
Gopherbroke
easilver
robstreperous
Willison_Knives
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

The handle is installed, and on its way back to Tim. I did not get a chance to use this yet due to a kitchen project and other life events. I asked Tim to add me to the end of the passaround.

The the photos are slightly overexposed, so everything looks a couple shades lighter in this post than reality.

STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Dang.... looks real nice.
timos

Post by timos »

I got this one back from Ben yesterday. I will put a fresh edge on it and end it along :)
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
timos

Post by timos »

This one is set to be delivered tomorrow to raleighcook15.
Please feel free to post your thoughts/ criticisms either here or privately, whichever you prefer.

I personally am interested in:
1. your guesses as to what you think the steel might be....and how you feel the edge holds up.
2. versatility of the profile or lack there of, strengths and weaknesses processing certain ingredients, etc.
3. How do you feel about the balance of the knife
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I would love to hear any feedback on the handle.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Handle is amazing, the knife is awesome. It arrived today and my girlfriend was cool enough to drop it off to me at work. Its nice and thin, flies through product. After this pass around I can see myself purchasing one exactly like this. The steel held up great, I have some pics I'll post when my weeks over with it. Super thin tip, perfect for detail work. Its probably actually as thin or thinner than my hd. Ill check when I'm home.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Thank you sir!
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Just a little more information about the handle. Outside of being beautiful, it was super comfortable. I use the pinch grip more than anything and I liked the balance point, the way it felt, it's lightness.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

raleighcook15 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:28 pm Just a little more information about the handle. Outside of being beautiful, it was super comfortable. I use the pinch grip more than anything and I liked the balance point, the way it felt, it's lightness.
if there was a "like" button I would use it. I naturally gravitate to natural wood / lighter handles. I personally prefer a blade heavy knife. My next run of handles will be even shorter, just for that purpose.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

How's the handle treated? Obviously im doing my best to keep as dry as possible and it seems fine in doing so, I just want to be 100 percent confident it won't ruin the color.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

raleighcook15 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:39 pm How's the handle treated? Obviously im doing my best to keep as dry as possible and it seems fine in doing so, I just want to be 100 percent confident it won't ruin the color.
Thank you for your concern. The handle is all natural woods, African Blackwood, Basswood, Zebrawood. The color should not fade, but may dull slightly. Please treat the handle as you would a wooden cutting board, mineral oil or board conditioner will bring the colors back and protect the wood from water. If someone needs board conditioner for the handle, I can mail out a container that will tag along with the handle for the journey.

On a side note, I am testing an epoxy finish this week that will seal the wood while maintaining the luster and light weight. Results will be posted if it works.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Cool, also this is going to j.David next right?
timos

Post by timos »

going to mauichef next and then j.david
Glad youa re enjoying using the knife!
raleighcook15 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:52 pm Handle is amazing, the knife is awesome. It arrived today and my girlfriend was cool enough to drop it off to me at work. Its nice and thin, flies through product. After this pass around I can see myself purchasing one exactly like this. The steel held up great, I have some pics I'll post when my weeks over with it. Super thin tip, perfect for detail work. Its probably actually as thin or thinner than my hd. Ill check when I'm home.
Thanks for the feedback. I ground this sucker to be as thin as possible but still strong!
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

I'm packing this beauty up today and sending it on her way. I didn't sharpen it as it can probably get by with some stropping which I don't have. I'll have a longer review with some pictures towards the beginning of next week. I'm curious what the steel is? I'll be patient though!
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

I'm having a hard time adding pics from my phone? Anyone comfortable enough to let me text them the pics to help with my review? Pm me.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

So I had this knife for a week and it was hard to mail to the next person. I love shorter, thin, agile knives, that have a thinner tip.

The profile was perfect for me. I was able to roll cut and chop with ease. The tip was perfect for brunoise shallots. It was thin behind the edge. It would fall through onions, fennel, potatoes etc. Food would occasionally get stuck but I had decent release considering how thin the blade actually is.

It came sharp and was perfect for herbs. Chives sprung off the board, and there was no bruising on them. There was a time where I accordioned some, but it could be the cutting board (they warp occasionally).

There really was no product I cut that it didn't shine with. Herbs including parsley, basil, mint, chives, tarragon etc all perfect
Onions/fennel potato
Eggplant
It didn't wedge carrots

The only time it wasn't the perfect knife for me is when i needed to dice eggplant because it's a bit shorter, so I had to make shorter planks.

The steel held up well. I only used my ceramic rod to hone occasionally and I had no issues through out the week. Held up as well as my AS blades.

The handle was beautiful. I wish I could add the pics today but those will have to wait. I'm trying to remember the balance point but I believe it was about at the pinch grip.

As for the steel, I have no idea. I'm going to guess 52100 because I have an excellent petty made by Tim that I believe is that and it handles the same. I genuinely loved both knives. Once my funds are in order I want one exactly like this blade.