What did you cook today?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ColonelJLloyd

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by ColonelJLloyd »

At the grocery on Tuesday I found they had farm raised salmon on sale for $5/lb. I checked the weather and Thursday looked to be warm without rain so I bought a side for me and one for a friend. I trimmed up the sides with my Gihei petty. I never season the cure quite the same way twice and had some leftover from the last smoke so used that on the skin side and mixed some up for the flesh side (kosher salt, brown sugar, dried basil, dried tarragon, dried dill, red pepper flakes, black pepper). I cured the sides for 7.5 hours, rinsed them thoroughly, then put them on a rack in the fridge overnight.

They went on the smoker at 11:45am at a 150F setting. I kicked up the heat to 190F near the end to get the internal temp to 150F and the meal was up at 5:45pm. I made a gratin from things on hand (Jarlsberg and Parmesan) and had some brussel sprouts that needed to be cooked so roasted them in the same 400F oven as the gratins then tossed them lightly with some honey/sriracha/lemon/Dusseldorf.

Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

That’s some good eats right there 👍
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

ColonelJLloyd wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:26 am At the grocery on Tuesday I found they had farm raised salmon on sale for $5/lb. I checked the weather and Thursday looked to be warm without rain so I bought a side for me and one for a friend. I trimmed up the sides with my Gihei petty. I never season the cure quite the same way twice and had some leftover from the last smoke so used that on the skin side and mixed some up for the flesh side (kosher salt, brown sugar, dried basil, dried tarragon, dried dill, red pepper flakes, black pepper). I cured the sides for 7.5 hours, rinsed them thoroughly, then put them on a rack in the fridge overnight.

They went on the smoker at 11:45am at a 150F setting. I kicked up the heat to 190F near the end to get the internal temp to 150F and the meal was up at 5:45pm. I made a gratin from things on hand (Jarlsberg and Parmesan) and had some brussel sprouts that needed to be cooked so roasted them in the same 400F oven as the gratins then tossed them lightly with some honey/sriracha/lemon/Dusseldorf.
Yeah, I just threw this glorious feast together -- and made one for my friend, too -- with some cheap-o fish and some junk I had laying around the house. Did I mention that I also did it blind-folded? Yeah, no problem. :D
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

It looks fantastic.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ronnie_suburban

Still working on the NYE contribution. Decided that even though there'll be plenty of food, the char siu could use an accompaniment. So, I made a quick vinegar-pickle to go with it . . .

Pickle Mise En Place & Matsubara Ginsan Damascus Bunka, 170mm
Granulated sugar, shallots, salt, rice vinegar, Persian cucumbers and Thai birds eye chiles.

Ajaad-Style Pickles
Even though it's the nature of the beast with an item like this, I don't love sweet, so I tried to keep the sugar to the bare minimum and I think I succeeded. I let this sit overnight and the result was a nicely vinegar'd, crispy pickle with a touch of sweet and just a hint of heat at the finish. I think they'll go well with the char siu pork.

There was also some dinner. Started by making a concoction that used up a bunch of mini tomatoes, as well as some shirodashi that popped up during a recent pantry re-org . . .

Tomato Mise En Place & Yoshikane SKD Nashiji Gyuto, 210mm
Black pepper, rice vinegar, salt, mini tomatoes, slice garlic, shirodashi, white wine and evoo.

Tomato 'Compote'
Just used wee splashes of the wine and the vinegar. Really liked the umami-smokiness of the shirodashi with the tomatoes. Looking forward to using more of it -- along with a bunch of other pantry items I'd kind of lost sight of -- in the future.

As for the planned main course, it was back to one . . .

Charcoal-Grilled Chicken Thighs
Salt, black pepper, granulated onion, granulated garlic, Hungarian sweet paprika and oregano.

Plated Up
With spicy-sweet cucumber salad, leftover/reheated chana masala.

Now, back to that char siu. A friend told me that I was way overthinking it by going sous vide>grill. He was pretty insistent that the oven/basting method Daddy Lau demonstrates his youtube video will produce a tender and tasty result. I didn't necessarily disagree but also really love the additional flavor that cooking over charcoal imparts. But quick-grilled pork shoulder will not be tender, so I think that some sort of interim step is necessary if one wants to charcoal-grill it. Still, after ~24 hours marinating -- and before the sous vide would begin -- I diverted one log of pork shoulder to the oven, where I cooked it Daddy Lau-style. 425F for ~50 minutes, basting/turning it every 15 minutes. Not surprisingly, the result was pretty darned terrific . . .

Char Siu Pork & Yoshikane SKD Nashiji Gyuto, 210mm (oven-cooked tester piece)
Not a damned thing wrong with this. In fact, it was ready right around the same time as the chicken and I ended up eating mostly this for dinner and putting the chicken back on the platter. Still, I'm going forward with the sous vide (20 hours @ 145F, in progress now) > charcoal grill because I've already done it successfully a couple of times that way. Not only do I know it works but it turns out great. That said, if anything goes wrong, I'll be kicking myself for not just ovening it. We shall see . . .
=R=
HappyKnifeHappyLife

Post by HappyKnifeHappyLife »

CF15C567-54B7-490E-8BBD-756E206072AC.jpeg
E3153912-58F9-4C93-A6C7-59750A6A3EA5.jpeg
F9E0B729-72C4-4786-9C26-2070398A9BFD.jpeg
Our 3 course dinner this New Years Eve. Happy New Year from sunny NZ.
Cheers HKHL
ronnie_suburban

My sous vide >> charcoal-grill NYE edition char siu pork turned out nicely . . .

Charcoal-Grilled NYE Char Siu Pork
Shame I have to share it. Briefly considered calling in sick to our NYE party hosts. ;) :lol:

The tester piece was tender, juicy and delicious but I'm not going to slice the rest of it until we're at our friends' house later on. If I can grab a shot of the final platter (with the pickles, sauce, etc.), I'll circle back with it.

Happy New Year, everyone! :)
=R=
gladius

Post by gladius »

Clay magic!
I found some Peruvian Beans at the market yesterday and decided it would be a good day (raining) for beans.
Out came the clay pot and slow cooked the beans several hours with onions, carrots, celery and a handful of Epazote at the end. Garnished in the bowl with cilantro, red onion and ripe home grown Persian limes. Wow, what a treat, old tech rules! Slow cooked in an earthen vessel.

PXL_20221231_233856790.jpg
PXL_20221231_234017346.jpg
trancher

Post by trancher »

HappyKnifeHappyLife wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:59 am
Our 3 course dinner this New Years Eve. Happy New Year from sunny NZ.
Cheers HKHL
ronnie_suburban wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:11 pm
Happy New Year, everyone! :)
Looks great as always, guys! Happy New Years to you also and everyone else!
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

Happy New Year everyone. I used to make "Hoppin' John" on new years, but since I'm allergic to legumes I don't anymore. I roasted a turkey carcass on Thursday and made stock from Thursday till Saturday morning at 199F. Excellent bone broth - then I took half and made turkey soup today.

It doesn't get any better than this -

ronnie_suburban

Putting the final touches on 2022, I never did get a pic the char siu platter from last night's NYE party but we did have a little leftover, which made for a nice lunch today . . .

Sous Vide > Charcoal-Grilled Char Siu Pork
Ajaad-style pickles. Sauce made from the marinade/glaze, which I tweaked with some pantry items and reduced on the stove top.

Next up, they're supposed to bring good luck, so why not kick the new year off with a pot of black eyed peas . . .

Rancho Gordo Super Lucky 2023 Black Eyed Peas
Very cool of RG to include a bag of these in the final Bean Club shipment of the year (November), so they're ready to go on NYD.

Black Eye Pea Mise En Place & Konosuke Sumiiro SLD Gyuto, 210mm
Bay leaves/slitted serranos & red jalapenos, smashed garlic cloves, salt, red onion, overnight-soaked black eyed peas, 4x gelatinous pork stock, leftover charcoal-grilled kielbasa, black pepper and evoo.

These were great as a side tonight and will be perfect for lunches the rest of the week.

And the rest of tonight's dinner, a Berkshire pork rib roast . . .

Berkshire Pork Roast & Mystery CKTG Gift Knife
Trussed, lightly oiled and seasoned. This went into a 225F oven until the internal temperature at its thickest point reached 135F (it carried over to 139F). From there, I pulled the roast, cranked the oven to 450F convection and then blasted it for another few minutes, until it had crisped up on the exterior . . .

Berkshire Pork Rib Roast
From here, let it rest for ~10 minutes and then sliced it up . . .

Plated Up
With black eyed peas and a blob of weekly slaw.

Happy New Year! :)
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Family favorite tonight . . . baked rotini and sauteed green beans . . .

Green Bean Mise En Place & Konosuke Tetsujin Gyuto, 210mm
Evoo, mini tomatoes, white wine, balsamic vinegar, salt, crushed garlic, red wine vinegar, green beans, oregano and black pepper.

Sauteed Green Beans
I've been using the amazing balsamic, which a friend brought back for me as a gift from Modena. Before he handed it over, he made me promise that I'd never do anything but garnish or finish with it. So, I've been keeping my promise, and only used it here after the finished beans were in the serving dish. This turned out to be a very tasty combination and the drops of thick balsamic drizzled over the top took it to another level.

Back to the main course, baked rotini seldom varies and always delivers . . .

Baked Rotini
~30 minutes at 375F, then a few more minutes convected at the end.

Plated Up
Baked rotini and sauteed green beans, drizzled with balsamic vinegar.

Happy Monday! :)
=R=
gladius

Post by gladius »

Left overs...
Last of the Holiday tamales and Peruvian beans.

ronnie_suburban

Had some leftover pork roast (cut into chops) tonight but decided to make a spinach-feta casserole to go with it . . .

Mise En Place & Konosuke Tetsujin Blue #2 Gyuto, 210mm
Lemon (for juice), red onion, scallions, Greek feta, evoo, wilted/squeezed spinach, minced garlic, crumbled French feta, salt, dried oregano, sliced creminis, fresh dill, black pepper and red wine.

Sauteed the mushrooms in evoo with the garlic and red wine. Sauteed the red onion and scallion in evoo. Once they had all cooked down and cooled, I mixed everything together and baked if for about an hour at 350F, covered for the first 30.

Fwiw, I have a couple new knives that I'm excited to try but after not using it for a while, I put the Tetsujin back in the rotation last week and I can't put it down. In spite of tonight's accordion cuts (was hurrying through some fairly mushy scallions), it really rings the bell for me. Probably a Top Ten All-Time knife in my book.

Plated Up
Spinach-Feta casserole, leftover/reheated Berkshire pork chop and black eyed peas.
=R=
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

gladius wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:35 pm Left overs...

Those are some great looking tamales 👍👍👍
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Ut_ron wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:17 pm
gladius wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:35 pm Left overs...

Those are some great looking tamales 👍👍👍
---
Thanks, tasted really good too. Initially steamed to cook but rewarmed using an air-fryer at 350 degrees for 10 minutes: the lard in the masa made it flaky and browned just right. Crispy on the edges yet soft and moist inside.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Over Easy in Tallow.

I started using beef tallow instead of ghee to fry my eggs and have to say I have had perfect results every time and the taste!

Breakfast eggs and guacamole with a flour tortilla on the side.

billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

2 Over easy, little red potatoes & onions, bacon, whole wheat toast with preserves...
What can I say, I woke up hungry, happy Thursday.
IMG_2817.JPG
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
gladius

Post by gladius »

Roasted Cauliflower with a drizzle of Aceto Balsamico di Modena PGI...

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I made a veggie stir-fry tonight with broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms and carrots served with Basmati rice. I ate it before I thought to take a picture of it. I never think about pictures when I'm cooking or eating. Oh well...I'm sure it didn't look as good as Ronnie's stir-fries anyway. I sure did get full from it though! :)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.