No frill santoku to fantastic.

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Joshigon

No frill santoku to fantastic.

Post by Joshigon »

I have a co-worker who doesn't like large knives. She is an older woman and has always used a pairing knife for everything. :o
My boss has found her using her Kohetsu santoku before and says she likes it. She really likes light knives.
So I started searching for one for her.
Light, short, all stainless, pretty, and under 100 dollars. This is what I came up with. I bought the YASUNORI VG5 DAMASCUS SANTOKU. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yavg5dasa16.html
Everything about it is great, except the handle. The handle is a rabbit tang with some gaps. I really wanted to like the handle, but couldn't.
This is my first western to wa conversion, and it turned out beautiful.

The handles is stabilized maple burl with a stabilized purple heart ferrule. The saya is poplar with a purple heart core. I installed the handle Tokyo style. Enjoy.

I know she will love it.
Josh Cooper
Joshigon

Re: No frill santoku to fantastic.

Post by Joshigon »

This is one of the sharpest knives I have ever touched. It cuts before it actually makes contact! :shock:
Josh Cooper
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

Really nice! I'm sure she'll enjoy it! :thumbsup:
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Joshigon wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:57 pm This is one of the sharpest knives I have ever touched. It cuts before it actually makes contact! :shock:
Put that on the product page! One of these customed would be a great knife. I've always looked at this as a perfect gift knife for family. Very nice look. Is the handle rounded? Looks like a big cigar
Joshigon

Post by Joshigon »

Chefspence wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:25 am
Joshigon wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:57 pm This is one of the sharpest knives I have ever touched. It cuts before it actually makes contact! :shock:
Put that on the product page! One of these customed would be a great knife. I've always looked at this as a perfect gift knife for family. Very nice look. Is the handle rounded? Looks like a big cigar
It does look like a big cigar. It is oval with a rounded end.
Josh Cooper
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

The women in my family prefer those rounded cigar looking handles better also. I think you hit that 1 out of the park for her Joshigon. Nice job!
Joshigon

Post by Joshigon »

nevrknow wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:20 pm The women in my family prefer those rounded cigar looking handles better also. I think you hit that 1 out of the park for her Joshigon. Nice job!
Thanks! She loves it.
Josh Cooper
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Looks good.. what's a tokyo style installation?
Joshigon

Post by Joshigon »

STPepper9 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:41 am Looks good.. what's a tokyo style installation?
Look at the last picture, see how there is a gap at the tang handle junction, that's​ Tokyo style. Konosuke does it to there knives. Just for looks.
Josh Cooper
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

I see.
I didn't realize there was a name for that, I've always just said exposed machi, from what I understand there is some utility to having that but it's relatively minimal.
Joshigon

Post by Joshigon »

STPepper9 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:34 pm I see.
I didn't realize there was a name for that, I've always just said exposed machi, from what I understand there is some utility to having that but it's relatively minimal.
On burn in tangs, if the handle gets a little loose then you can wack the bottom of the handle and tighten it a little. This handle is epoxied on, so it doesn't matter.
Josh Cooper