Not good ribs, but the right ribs

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
ronnie_suburban

Re: Not good ribs, but the right ribs

Post by ronnie_suburban »

gladius wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:21 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:50 am
mjgillen wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:33 am Can't go wrong. Fall off the bone meat. tender and juicy.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. IMO, ribs should not be FOB. FOB is overcooked when it comes to ribs. There should be some gentle tug of the meat from the bone. My personal feeling is that if you want pork that tender, shoulder should be your cut.
---
I have enjoyed both. I think it is preference. Similar to how some like steak on the rare side while others enjoy it on the well done side.
In the end, one has to make food the way they like it. Why take any other approach?

That said, I'm coming at this -- ribs, that is -- largely as a bbq guy. In that realm, cooking them to the point of FOB seems like a total waste of ribs to me. In any cooking environment, there are cheaper, easier-to-acquire cuts of pork that will produce the same desired result. I'd say the same about cooking certain cuts of steak to well done. Of course you can do it but why buy an expensive, lean cut -- filet, for example -- if you're just going to dry it out and make it taste like iron?

Mainly, it's hard for me to resist a debate about ribs/bbq. Feel free to just ignore me. Now, if you please, get off my lawn! :lol:
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Ronnie the true problem here is that the meaning of the thread got lost with mjgillen's post. It's not about the best way to cook ribs, it's about Fred's ribs!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ronnie_suburban

Jeff B wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 4:17 pm Ronnie the true problem here is that the meaning of the thread got lost with mjgillen's post. It's not about the best way to cook ribs, it's about Fred's ribs!
So true, and thanks for the reminder. With 4th of July not too far off, I'll be re-creating his specialty soon enough. :)
=R=
mjgillen

Post by mjgillen »

mjgillen wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:33 am Can't go wrong. Fall off the bone meat. tender and juicy.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. IMO, ribs should not be FOB. FOB is overcooked when it comes to ribs. There should be some gentle tug of the meat from the bone. My personal feeling is that if you want pork that tender, shoulder should be your cut.
Still yummy! And an easy recipe.
ronnie_suburban

mjgillen wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:14 pm
Still yummy! And an easy recipe.
As Jeff wisely posted above, the recipe stuff largely misses the point of this thread. It's not really about the cooking, per se.
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Another year in the books. Another year remembering my late stepfather with a round of ribs "Fred-Style" . . .

Grilling To Finish
Out of the oven, out of the foil and onto the indirect side of the 27" kettle for a few minutes to crisp up.

Plated Up
With a bevy of leftover sides: braised kale, pasta salad and red slaw.

Happy 4th, everyone! :)
=R=
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

Fred was the man, those look awesome!
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill