giant cleaver

Formerly Blackstone Knife Company

Moderator: timos

timos

giant cleaver

Post by timos »

Well,

I finally worked up the nerve to harden this. It got a pretty decent boil going for a couple seconds in 6 gallons of high speed oil.

Austenized for 15 mins at 1480 deg. and tempered 3x at 350 deg. There does not appear to be any cracks. Soooo, whos in the market for a giant cleaver? :D :D
taking handle material suggestions...
its 150mm+ tall out of 3.5mm thick stock
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
salemj

Re: giant cleaver

Post by salemj »

I'm not, but I'll admit that I have a real soft spot for how you shaped the profile of the TOP of the knife. It has a very cool, classic/rustic Western look, with the raised handle that somehow makes it seem a bit more unique. All the curves make it look like it is begging to be used!
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
timos

Post by timos »

Hi Joe,

Once you pick it up, it sure is hard not to swing it around :) I agree on that rustic classic look, I think the handle is begging to be some classic aqua fortis finished curly maple, like the stuff you see on the old school Kentucky rifles. I am debating on whether or not to leave the whole blade fully hardened or draw back the spine/ handle area to give it more toughness.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

It would be a cool feature to soften the spine and handle. I have a differentially heat treated bush knife and thought that was a neat thing to do. Honestly I have no experience to tell me whether that would be necessary on your cleaver though, or even on my bush knife for that matter. :lol:
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

First, Tim.... Very, very cool.

Second, Handle? For some reason I look at that massive brutish thing and I get a medieval or gothic vibe. I'm thinking some form of an elaborate leather or paracord wrap.

But yeah... not kitchen safe...

So my next thought is even more primitive... mammoth tooth inlays, maybe stag horn....

Not a direction I normally head... so thanks for taking me outside of my box.