Single bevel question

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Rindfleis

Single bevel question

Post by Rindfleis »

Hello, I've been considering adding a single bevel gyuto to my knife roll. I considered an usuba but I have a santoku and I prefer my chef's knife, and from what I gather a santoku is close to an usuba. I read it's easier to make paper thin cuts with a single bevel, which makes sense considering it's thinner. I also read it takes time to get used to it and make straight cuts.

What I'd like to know from people who've used them is, is the difference really noticeable and did you struggle with using double bevel knives after getting used to a single bevel?
cliff

Re: Single bevel question

Post by cliff »

I think a single-bevel gyuto is more of a curiosity. In Japan, the chef will use a full-size, single-bevel Kiritsuke for its versatility. But it is not as good at any specific task as a specialized knife. I use an usuba for some Japanese preparations -- still no expert with it by any means. I use a short yanagi/petty for utility work, trimming, and some presentation cuts when I'm feeling fancy. What kind of food do you cook?
telda13

Post by telda13 »

I use both single beveled and double bevel knives. I would say as long as you don't mind having bevelled food while you're practicing your technique, then go for it. (It's noticeable in the way you have to use the knife to not get bevelled food.) I use a usuba when I want paper thin cuts. Otherwise, I use my nakiri. I struggle with my hand-eye coordination some days, and I prefer not to have my fingers so close to the knife. I also have a yanagi for sushi and a miroshi deba for breaking down fish.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

telda13 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:41 am I use both single beveled and double bevel knives. I would say as long as you don't mind having bevelled food while you're practicing your technique, then go for it. (It's noticeable in the way you have to use the knife to not get bevelled food.) I use a usuba when I want paper thin cuts. Otherwise, I use my nakiri. I struggle with my hand-eye coordination some days, and I prefer not to have my fingers so close to the knife. I also have a yanagi for sushi and a miroshi deba for breaking down fish.
Please excuse my ignorance here, but what is "bevelled" food?
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

He means food that isn't the same thickness due to the knife steering. IE a cucumber slice that is thick at the top and angled so it's thinner at the bottom of the slice from using the single bevel knife without knowing how to offset the single bevel and steering issues.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

taz575 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:38 pm He means food that isn't the same thickness due to the knife steering. IE a cucumber slice that is thick at the top and angled so it's thinner at the bottom of the slice from using the single bevel knife without knowing how to offset the single bevel and steering issues.
Thanks. Guess everything I cut/slice is bevelled then. :mrgreen:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

XexoX wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:02 pm
taz575 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:38 pm He means food that isn't the same thickness due to the knife steering. IE a cucumber slice that is thick at the top and angled so it's thinner at the bottom of the slice from using the single bevel knife without knowing how to offset the single bevel and steering issues.
Thanks. Guess everything I cut/slice is bevelled then. :mrgreen:
You should see my pizza. It’s not merely beveled. It’s apexed.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
taz575

Post by taz575 »

You guys are so sharp and make a good point! :D
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

taz575 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:23 pm You guys are so sharp and make a good point! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
roaduck

Post by roaduck »

It took me quite a while to get used to single bevelled knives; I only have three which are :
An eleven inch stainless yanagiba with full hollow grind - top 2 pics
An old Sabatier 6" stainless thinned utility from the mid seventies - third pic down - middle
A stainless Chinese 8" sashimi - 4th pic down
The steering pushes the slice away and you have to compensate for it but is fine once you get the hang of it.
I find if the blade is thinner it doesn`t veer as much haha !
7x57mm@gmail.com

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

[/quote]Thanks. Guess everything I cut/slice is bevelled then. :mrgreen:
[/quote]

:lol:
atang

Post by atang »

Single bevel gyuto would excel at butchering a cow. Maybe some large fish too. Though a 240mm+ mioroshi deba could work just as well for large freshwater fish or smaller saltwater fish. I wouldn’t use a single bevel Gyuto for most generic daily prep tasks. There’s many terrific double bevel options for which would be better suited for that purpose. Honestly I’d reach for a hankotsu or double bevel gyuto over single bevel gyuto if the goal is processing whole 4-legged animals. If you’re simply cutting thin vegetables a double bevel gyuto or usuba will do just fine. Possibly a very thin petty knife if you have limited room to work.
telda13

Post by telda13 »

Thanks for making me laugh, guys.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

There’s always that one chunk — or 3– that gets sacrificed to re-square off the face of my beveled vegetable. I make sure my wife gets that chunk(s).

You know you got skills when you’re beveled on both the horizontal and vertical axes…they value that double compound miter cut in trim molding