Review of three folding chef's knives

kanenas

Review of three folding chef's knives

Post by kanenas »

Hello, this is my first review in this forum. For a long time, I am trying to find a good folding chef's knife for backpacking and camping. So far, I have put three knives to the test, from heaviest to lightest:

1. A. G. Russell Folding Cook's Knife (early version)
2. Ontario Knife Co. Camp Plus Santoku
3. Primus FieldChef Pocket Knife

My criteria were weight, blade length, and usability. The test consisted of slicing cabbage, a somewhat challenging vegetable, on account of its bulk. The measurements of blade length refer to the usable (honed) part. The results:

1. A. G. Russell Folding Cook's Knife ($65 new, in the early 2000s)

This knife weighs 141 g and the blade is 10.9 cm long. It comes with an early version of the blade in ATS-34 steel, in partially bead blasted finish. Later, it was superceded by a blade in VG-10 steel. The current incarnation is the A. G. Russell Folding Cook's Knife II, with better knuckle clearance and rounded handle, albeit with a weight penalty. It has robust construction and the santoku-style blade locks securely with no play. The A. G. Russell proved the most useable knife in the test, on account of its long blade and sharpness. The main drawback of this version is limited knuckle clearance, which means you have to modify your standard grip. Although this is the heaviest knife in the test, its weight is not prohibitive for backpacking. Overall, 4/5 stars. I reserve the 5th(?) star for version II, when I get my hands on one.

2. Ontario Knife Co. Camp Plus Santoku (€20 new)

This knife weighs 101 g and the blade is 10.4 cm long, just a bit shorter than the A. G. Russell. The santoku-style blade locks securely with no play. Despite the attractive specs and the sleek design, in actual use this knife is a joke. It just can't cut. The blade sort of slides along the exposed surface of the vegetable rather than cut through it. Is it a matter of blade geometry? I don't know. Like the A. G. Russell, it lacks knuckle clearance. Perhaps it would make an acceptable EDC knife, not a cooking knife. Overall, 1/5 stars.

3. Primus FieldChef Pocket Knife (€45 new)

On the package it says blade length 10 cm. However, the honed (useable) part of the blade is only 9 cm. Also, on the package it says 59 g, although in reality it weighs in at 65 g. Still, it's one of the lightest foldable chef's knives in the market, if not the lightest. The blade locks securely with no play. The handle is ergonomic; it allows enough knuckle clearance, on account of its angle relative to the blade. In actual use, it cuts well, though not as well as the A. G. Russel. The biggest drawback is its length; it could certainly use a longer blade, in the 10.5 - 11 cm range. Otherwise, it's OK for backpacking or whenever weight is an issue. Overall, 3/5 stars.
Attachments
Folding_chef_knife_test.jpg
Lloyd Harner

Re: Review of three folding chef's knives

Post by Lloyd Harner »

ive been tiking about afolding utilitly knife for a few years
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Do you prefer a folding knife in this role? I never even considered getting a folder specifically for food prep while hiking because I always bring a fixed blade. Curious what the reasons for a folder might be.
Lloyd Harner

Post by Lloyd Harner »

i carry a few knives one of them has a 14" blade "camp" knife i also likelly will have with me one of my custom folders (in pocket) a flat ground spyderco delica (pack belt pouch) and a swiss army knife in another small pouch on the pack also have a Gerber multitool in the same belt pouch as the delica
kanenas

Post by kanenas »

Kekoa wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:13 pm[...] Curious what the reasons for a folder might be.
1. Safety. A fixed blade knife requires some kind of sheath to be safe. Imagine rummaging through your backpack in the dark. If the knife is unsheathed, you will almost certainly cut yourself.

2. Portability. A fixed blade knife will likely not fit into a belt pack.

Otherwise, you are right, a folder is basically only for traveling.
Last edited by kanenas on Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
kanenas

Post by kanenas »

Lloyd Harner wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:26 pm i carry a few knives one of them has a 14" blade "camp" knife i also likelly will have with me one of my custom folders (in pocket) a flat ground spyderco delica (pack belt pouch) and a swiss army knife in another small pouch on the pack also have a Gerber multitool in the same belt pouch as the delica
Please post a picture!
Lloyd Harner

Post by Lloyd Harner »

KIMG3239sm.jpg
quick cell phone pic chefs knife for scale
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

This is my folding chef knife. I purchased this Cold Steel XL Voyager in the 1990's. It's made in Japan, but I don't recall from what type of stainless steel. The blade is 5.5 inches long and the knife weighs 5.19 ounces. This knife is capable of handling serious food prep, yet light enough to easily put into a daypack. It has accompanied me on numerous day hikes. In the third photo I have placed it next to a Moritaka 210mm to put its open size in perspective.

20240208_112819.jpg
20240208_112819.jpg (35.71 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
20240208_112835.jpg
20240208_112835.jpg (43.2 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
20240208_113035.jpg
20240208_113035.jpg (33.87 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
20240208_113332.jpg
Ricardo
kanenas

Post by kanenas »

TheLegalRazor wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:02 pm This is my folding chef knife. I purchased this Cold Steel XL Voyager in the 1990's.
Amazing knife, huge blade, very lightweight. The current incarnation is made in Taiwan and is still available for sale. The blade is kind of too curvy for my taste, not ideal for slicing vegetables. Otherwise, it looks like a good all around camping knife.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

kanenas wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:23 pm
TheLegalRazor wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:02 pm This is my folding chef knife. I purchased this Cold Steel XL Voyager in the 1990's.
Amazing knife, huge blade, very lightweight. The current incarnation is made in Taiwan and is still available for sale. The blade is kind of too curvy for my taste, not ideal for slicing vegetables. Otherwise, it looks like a good all around camping knife.
Yes, the current version of this knife has an oddly curved blade profile which is not practical. I'm fortunate I acquired this version while it was available. It has enough of a flat section to handle vegetables well.
Ricardo
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

I just got to thinking, I wonder if an Opinel would work well in this role. This is a N012 with a 4.75 in. blade.
Attachments
opinelNo12.jpg
opinelNo12.jpg (6.19 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Kekoa wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:01 pm I just got to thinking, I wonder if an Opinel would work well in this role. This is a N012 with a 4.75 in. blade.
Or … the no. 13. Not cheap but close to 9 inches of blade
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Lloyd Harner

Post by Lloyd Harner »

just saw a spydereco military 2 almost want to buy one and regrind it for folding kitchen use but im a poor/ cheap knife maker. if anyone picks one up might be willing to do the grind just to see one
kanenas

Post by kanenas »

Lloyd Harner wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:00 pmjust saw a spydereco military 2 almost want to buy one and regrind it for folding kitchen use but im a poor/ cheap knife maker.
Isn't it way overpriced for a little pocket knife? My Mission MPF1-Ti was at the same price point, but at least it was 100% titanium, including the blade.
Lloyd Harner

Post by Lloyd Harner »

millies have neve been cheap i got my first one for like 180ish bucks back in 96 and it was ats-34 not the 440V that knife took 4 years of USMC service when i got out i needed something a hair smaller per PA state laws and the para millie came out fell in love with the comp lock. wish i has the tools and skills to make a comp lock folder