What did you cook today?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
gladius

Re: What did you cook today?

Post by gladius »

Papas!

Roasted Golden Potatoes and onion tossed in olive oil topped with tasty Baja Gold Mineral Salt.

billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

Blackened salmon, sautéed garlic spinach, mixed asian veggies with a garden salad.

Happy Friday :D
IMG_5836.JPG
IMG_5837.JPG
IMG_5839.JPG
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
gladius

Post by gladius »

I was gifted a jar of Xoconostle Marmalade made from cactus. I tried it this morning on sourdough toast with eggs and platanos fried in brown butter sprinkled with Cayenne. The flavor was both sweet and sour with a nice tangy after taste.

Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

aporigine wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:25 pm I’m doing something similar. I read somewhere on this forum someone trying to restrict himself to doing all his knifework using just a cleaver as many Asians do. I think using a paring knife was allowed. So, since the new hotness chez Apo is a Chopper King shirogami cleaver, I’m gonna spend a month trying to master this rather large acreage of steel.
I didn't exactly dedicate to using just my cleaver, but I did make it my primary for a few weeks and enjoyed getting to know how a cleaver handles. I have a stainless Dexter and I could be totally comfortable using it for everything at this point except for one issue; it has been known to stick horrendously to potatoes and sticks bad enough on onions that I tend to avoid using it for them. I once got a potato so stuck I had to check myself and make sure I didn't lose a finger trying to get it off. Makes me consider getting a nicer fairly flat edged knife eventually. Cleavers shred up lettuce in a quick jiffy!
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Hosted a few friends tonight for a steakhouse-themed dinner party. Didn't get too many shots but managed to grab one of my plate . . .

Plated Up
Ribless roast (horseradish sauce & beef/mushroom gravy), creamed spinach and twice baked potato.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Eggs Benedict today on freshly baked focaccia mini's. This is my 3rd time making the minis and they have become my new fav. Much better than english muffins for eggs benedict. One loaf is cut in half lengthwise then sliced like a bagel.
I tried one with some rosemary for fun
EGGS BENE 1.jpg
EGGS BENE2.jpg
gladius

Post by gladius »

Wagyu burger medium rare topped with blue cheese crumble and hot-house tomato on toasted Brioche bun with red onion and aioli spread for lunch. Two slices of apple wood center-cut bacon and French fried potatoes joined the party shortly after the photo was taken.

Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

65mph winds knocked out the power yesterday so dinner was fresh cream of mushroom and some focaccia slices under led lantern for dinner lol.
Attachments
IMG_4283.jpg
gladius

Post by gladius »

Bob Z wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:55 pm 65mph winds knocked out the power yesterday
---
Wow, 65mph! It has been raining hard here in SoCal since yesterday afternoon - we barely got the burgers off the grill at noon before the rain.
ronnie_suburban

The old, reliable meat + 3 (leftovers) . . .

Pork Shoulder Chops
A couple of minutes direct and then a few more indirect/covered.

Plated Up
With leftover/reheated twice-baked potato (now, thrice-baked!), creamed spinach and stir-fried cauliflower.

Happy Monday! :)
=R=
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:05 pm The old, reliable meat + 3 (leftovers) . . .

Pork Shoulder Chops
A couple of minutes direct and then a few more indirect/covered.

Plated Up
With leftover/reheated twice-baked potato (now, thrice-baked!), creamed spinach and stir-fried cauliflower.

Happy Monday! :)
WOW, Ronnie what a perfect plate of food four of my favorite food items, I don’t make creamed spinach very often but dam I love to eat it!!
Bill
ronnie_suburban

billk1002 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:39 pm WOW, Ronnie what a perfect plate of food four of my favorite food items, I don’t make creamed spinach very often but dam I love to eat it!!
Thanks. Yeah, that's "company" food, and not stuff I'd normally make just for us. That said, I've really enjoyed having it around, especially since the spinach and the potatoes both reheat really well. :D
=R=
ronnie_suburban

Dispatching some of that leftover ribless roast . . .

Mise En Place & Munetoshi Kurouchi White #2 Gyuto, 210mm
Salt, yellow onion, scallion whites, leftover ribless roast, whipping cream, peanut oil, unsalted butter, black pepper, russet potatoes and scallion greens.

On The Platter
Ribless roast beast hash.

Plated Up
Hash, a blob of the weekly slaw and a good egg. :wink:
=R=
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

The basics, done with love
IMG_3700.jpeg
La Brea Bakery roll toasted in a hot cast-iron skillet. 2/3 lb ground beef fried “medium” in that skillet, topped by sliced Swiss and mushies 3x alternating. Lid on skillet toward end to melt it all together. “Daughter’s favorite” condiment: 1x ketchup, 1x yellow mustard, 2x mayo stirred together with a good pinch of salt.

Some lager to complete a meal of pure comfort food on a cold gray day.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Those chops look fabulous Ronnie!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Minestrone time! This is from Serious Eats with a few tweaks of course. I cant seem to do the photo with all the ingredients but missing are can of petite cut Redicuts (diced tomatoes by S&W) and a can of chicken stock and navy beans.
Kato ginsan nakiri
Served with a bit of Miltons bread and left over focaccia for dipping.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Bob Z wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm Minestrone time! This is from Serious Eats with a few tweaks of course. I cant seem to do the photo with all the ingredients but missing are can of petite cut Redicuts (diced tomatoes by S&W) and a can of chicken stock and navy beans.
Kato ginsan nakiri
Served with a bit of Miltons bread and left over focaccia for dipping.
The cladding line on that Kato looks epic! Like go-mai.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
ronnie_suburban

Hot & Sour soup has been on my short list for a while. I made it a while back, really enjoyed it and swore I'd make it again soon. Well, that was January of 2021! :shock: *Sigh* Better late than never, I suppose. Rather than go back and try to figure out what I did last time, I reviewed recipes/methods from a few of my current favorite internet sources and cobbled together a Franken-recipe. That resulted in a little extra work, because I loved the idea of including daylillies and fresh bamboo shoots in this batch, both of which I happened to have on hand . . .

Mise En Place & Kagekiyo Blue #1 Gyuto, 210mm
Corn starch, avocado oil, toasted sesame oil, dried/reconstituted wood ear mushrooms (aka black fungus) silken tofu, eggs, cilantro leaves, dried/reconstituted daylillies, minced ginger, carrots, salt, dried/reconstituted shiitakes, dark soy sauce, 5-year black vinegar, soy sauce, homemade chicken stock, granulated sugar, slivered pork and fresh bamboo shoots.

Reached for the Kagekiyo because other than a few Konosukes, I don't own a knife that handles carrots any better. It just glides through them and considering how many fine carrot cuts I needed to make -- and what a great all-arounder it is -- I figured it was the best choice. This knife is a total pleasure.

Once the prep is done, the soup comes together quickly, maybe ~15 minutes from start to finish. Black vinegar, white pepper and toasted sesame oil go in at the very end, after the heat is killed . . .

Plated Up
Hot & Sour soup with leftover/reheated brown jasmine rice.
=R=
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

That looks absolutely delicious!!
I judge a Chinese restaurant by its hot & sour soup.
Bill
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:54 pm … a Franken-recipe.
bwahaHAAAAhaha
bwahaHAAAAhaha
- Yevgeny Zamyatin