Naniwa Super Stone 2 vs Naniwa Chosera

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
telda13

Naniwa Super Stone 2 vs Naniwa Chosera

Post by telda13 »

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have experience with the Naniwa Chosera and the Naniwa Super Stone 2. I am considering replacing my Nawina Super Stone 2 (3000 grit) with the Naniwa Chosera of the same grit. I really like the Shapton Pro Stone if that helps and own the 320,1000,1500,5000 grit stones. I also would prefer a ceramic, splash and go stone, if anyone has other suggestions.

Thank you in advance.
Qapla'

Re: Naniwa Super Stone 2 vs Naniwa Chosera

Post by Qapla' »

I like my Naniwa Pro 3000.

You might also check out things like a Morihei Hi 4000.

And since you like Shaptons, there's also Shapton Glass 3000 or 4000, which I've heard good things about.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

What are you sharpening?

Naniwa stones are not my favorite. Your Shapton set looks really good and should handle most kitchen knives easily. If you wanted to "upgrade" (read: spend a lot of money on something that does the same thing most of the time) then Shapton Glass 1k and 4k are a popular set. If you are doing single bevel slicers then maybe add a muddy 2-4k and the 8k Shapton Pro. There is no magical stone. You mostly have to learn to use what you have. That said, the Morihei Hishiboshi 4k is pretty great.
Sam
telda13

Post by telda13 »

ex1580 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:50 am What are you sharpening?

Naniwa stones are not my favorite. Your Shapton set looks really good and should handle most kitchen knives easily. If you wanted to "upgrade" (read: spend a lot of money on something that does the same thing most of the time) then Shapton Glass 1k and 4k are a popular set. If you are doing single bevel slicers then maybe add a muddy 2-4k and the 8k Shapton Pro. There is no magical stone. You mostly have to learn to use what you have. That said, the Morihei Hishiboshi 4k is pretty great.
I sharpen Gin3 and White #2 knives. I just like the feel/experience of the Shaptons much more than the Nawina. I mostly just use my 3k stone the 5k stone for touchups every other week or so.

I'll probably stick with the Nawina for now wait until I find a stone that I really want to try.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

I have used the Pro stones for about 4 years now and really like them 320, 1K, 2K, 5K.
About 6 months ago I bought a 1K Chosera, hated it, until I used it 10 times it is now hands down my favorite stone.
Just for reference, I sold my Cerax 320, 1K and Rika 5K, they were a little on the soft and gritty side for me, but EXCELLENT stones that left a finish that left nothing to be desired.
Stones are a personal preference just like the length and shape of a knife, if I had not been completely infatuated with sharpening and purchased the Pro stones I would still be using the Cerax stones today.
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill