Picking Between Konosuke HD and Shibata Kashima

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Kerneldrop

Re: Picking Between Konosuke HD and Shibata Kashima

Post by Kerneldrop »

I saw tower racks online for $100-$500.
So went to Home Depot and spent $8 in total for enough wood to make 2.
I didn't have enough room for the top pegs.
I'd make it nicer if I built it for someone else...but for me I just wanted to function and to get the party started.
Maybe one day I'll make a more refined version.

Attachments
tower rack.pdf
(295.83 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

taz575 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:32 pm ...As a home cook cooking several times a week, I went 9 months just by stropping the knife.
I had a want to learn free-hand sharpening, but in hindsight i'd be money and time ahead if I just purchased stropping stuff and then sent the knives off to be sharpened 1x a year. I wouldn't miss a beat with a 2 knife rotation. But I didn't realize that until afterwards...lol
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Each of us has to walk our own path to get the most "joy" from our addiction. For me, at least half the joy is from sharpening, even though it cab be really frustrating at times .................
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Radar53 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:20 pm Each of us has to walk our own path to get the most "joy" from our addiction. For me, at least half the joy is from sharpening, even though it cab be really frustrating at times .................
I'm right there with you...that's why I went deep into stones. Now I'm committed. lol
I machine sharpen with success, but for years I've been drawn to free-hand sharpening.
It's a skill I want to learn and I believe it helps maintain and improve my tactile feel, dexterity, mobility, and visualizing planes.
Maybe one day I can break loose for a day or two and take a private class with a pro.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

I'm an engineer and built my own basic jigs in the early / mid 1990's. Then I found & bought an EdgePro Apex in the late '90's and learnt the basics of getting a knife sharp. That was improved hugely when I found Chef Knives to Go Forum in 2013 and the wealth of knowledge & experience here. I always had a "drive" to get into freehand and took the plunge in 2017.

I found the transition quite challenging and it took me a while to get the basic skills under some sort of control. It's been well worth the effort to persevere. There are some great training video series to guide people through this and these are a fantastic resource. Also, other sharpeners from this forum are incredibly generous with their help and advice. So take the plunge .....
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!