Any Tormek owners here?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Cayenneman

Any Tormek owners here?

Post by Cayenneman »

I'm not new to sharpening, but moreover always in search of the best sharpening system. I have whetstones and a strop and I have the Grizzly Razor Sharp system. I have been tinkering with the thought of getting a Tormek and wondered what any owners thought about them. I sharpen mainly kitchen knives but want to be able to sharpen other things as well. Thanks.
Kekoa

Re: Any Tormek owners here?

Post by Kekoa »

I wanted to make sure your question didn't go unanswered but I don't have personal experience with a Tormek. I believe that roaduck, one of the members here, does have a Tormek, but he posts somewhat intermittently, it could be a bit before he might chime in. I have heard only good things about them in general, but I'm not sure about any specifics.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

There are a number of reviews of the Tormek T-1 on YouTube.
Ricardo
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Which Tormek you looking at?

My friend has a T-8.
He says he can get a better edge on pocket knives with the T-8.
He can get a better edge on kitchen knives with whetstones....But he has decades of high-volume whetstone sharpening experience.
He says with the Tormek you lose the ability to "customize" your edge, which may not be a care for you...some just want it sharp and sharp is sharp.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I would rather use the side of the wheel to sharpen so I am not doing a slightly hollow ground edge? I would think that would be pretty weak overall, especially with very thin behind the edge kitchen knives. Grizzly has their own version of the Tormek, too.

The Razor Sharp discs didn't work for me when I tried them many years ago!

Maybe look at the Grizzly 2x42 for sharpening? It's variable speed, so it may work really well once they get the bugs worked out with the motors burning out?