Gyuoto Recommend switching from Western Chef Knife

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Dr.Fire.K

Gyuoto Recommend switching from Western Chef Knife

Post by Dr.Fire.K »

1)Pro or home cook?
Home
2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santoku, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Gyuto, most likely.
3) What size knife do you want?
Probably 240mm
4)How much do you want to spend?
around 300, but less is always better if it fits my needs
5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
reactive carbon, probably
6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
japanese
7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Switching from a Shun Bob Kramer inch chef knife (very "western")
8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Good to excellent
9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Push pull now, for sure
10)Do you know how to sharpen?
Yes
Please also add any additional pertinent information that can help everyone with suggestions.

Kinda hate to post another what gyuto should i buy thread but...bought so many knives hears blindly (and love them) so why not.

So i decided to sell my Shun Bob Kramer Damascus 8 inch chef knife. Very "western style." Loved the look it was like a piece of art every time I pulled it out. But after buying a Moritaka Petty knife from here i realized 2 things.... I am not a fan of rock chopping, thought it was necessary, but push pull is where i'm happy. And two, i'm just terrible at sharpening western style blades. After feeling the butter like cut of the petty, i re-sharpened my Moritaka nakiri rather aggressively and finally "got it."
So i'm looking for a gyuto, double bevel, with a clear shinogi line. Probably not stainless then. And thinking I want long, like 240mm.
Feeling strongly about the Moritaka AS gyuto 240

I have a Moritaka Nakiri 165
Deba 105mm
Sakai White #2 yanagibah
Moritaka AS petty 130 (my new fav)
150mm Honesuki
Daovua Bunka 155mm (my "beater" knife)

Got way more than expected on ebay selling the Kramer knife so I guess I want a "show stopper" replacement. (i think a kiritsuke isn't the answer cause i have a bunka?) But in the end Im fine with a super functional replacement.

Thank you all and most of all to the fine people at Chef Knive's to Go. Never regretted buying here and probably never buy from anywhere else.

matt "fire k"
Jeff B

Re: Gyuoto Recommend switching from Western Chef Knife

Post by Jeff B »

When you say "show stopper" replacement, are you talking aesthetics or performance?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Dr.Fire.K

Post by Dr.Fire.K »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:55 am When you say "show stopper" replacement, are you talking aesthetics or performance?
I guess with my Kramer knife i did like the aesthetics, was like looking at a piece of art every time I pulled it out. But I'd say performance is top importance now. And I think i enjoy the more rugged look of the "non shiny" knives anyways.
aporigine

Post by aporigine »

Dr.Fire.K wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:41 pm
Jeff B wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:55 am When you say "show stopper" replacement, are you talking aesthetics or performance?
I guess with my Kramer knife i did like the aesthetics, was like looking at a piece of art every time I pulled it out. But I'd say performance is top importance now. And I think i enjoy the more rugged look of the "non shiny" knives anyways.
If it weren’t $430, the Konosuke YW would hit your marks.

If stainless cladding is ok, the Yoshikane white 2 nashiji with handle upgrade is $340.

On the value end, Takayuki AS hammered. All look to have that shinogi look.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

Dr.Fire.K, welcome.

Like you, I have the Moritaka AS 165mm nakiri and 130mm petty. You mentioned that you're "Feeling strongly about the Moritaka AS gyuto 240." I also have that knife and am very pleased with it.
Ricardo
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

This is worth a look, Hatsukokoro Kumokage Blue #2 Gyuto 240mm: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/hatsukokoro1.html

Rustic but with nice damascus too, well within your budget. It has the look of a long Funayuki rather than a Gyuto which may not be to your liking, and it is also more of a workhorse style blade than your Moritakas which is another thing to consider.

A couple medium weight options that look quite nice:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mashgy24.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/fujin.html
Dr.Fire.K

Post by Dr.Fire.K »

aporigine wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:04 pm
Dr.Fire.K wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:41 pm
If it weren’t $430, the Konosuke YW would hit your marks.

If stainless cladding is ok, the Yoshikane white 2 nashiji with handle upgrade is $340.

On the value end, Takayuki AS hammered. All look to have that shinogi look.
I don't think I wanna start creeping into the 400 range...probably
That Yoshikane with the bog oak handle is pretty sweet.
And the Takayuki is a great value, and I'm really feeling that look.
Thank you, these are def on my short list.
Dr.Fire.K

Post by Dr.Fire.K »

Kekoa wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:00 am This is worth a look, Hatsukokoro Kumokage Blue #2 Gyuto 240mm: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/hatsukokoro1.html

Rustic but with nice damascus too, well within your budget. It has the look of a long Funayuki rather than a Gyuto which may not be to your liking, and it is also more of a workhorse style blade than your Moritakas which is another thing to consider.

A couple medium weight options that look quite nice:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mashgy24.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/fujin.html
That Hatsukokoro looks like a beast. Was a little worried about the thin edge of the Moritaka.
I like the Kurosaki fujin as well.
Thank you, more to mull over.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

TheLegalRazor wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:24 am Dr.Fire.K, welcome.

Like you, I have the Moritaka AS 165mm nakiri and 130mm petty. You mentioned that you're "Feeling strongly about the Moritaka AS gyuto 240." I also have that knife and am very pleased with it.
I also have this knife and love it - incredible value for the history & money
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

The Moritaka 185 Santoku is on my buy-list.
The 250mm Gyuto would be cool.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

Kerneldrop wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:58 am The Moritaka 185 Santoku is on my buy-list.
The 250mm Gyuto would be cool.
I have the 185mm santoku and it gets a lot of use. I like that it's on the longer side for a santoku.
Ricardo